What Is This Bug?

Saint Petersburg, FL

This little cluster of bugs appeared on my potted spathiphyllum plant. They are hard to see in such a small picture, but this is as close as I can get. They look a bit like an ant or wasp but have longer legs, and no wings. I am concerned because they are a reddish color, which to me suggests that they may bite or sting. Also, if they are a plant pest, I will need to get rid of them.

Thumbnail by kibocat
Minot, ND

Can you please try loading another image? For some reason, this one will not load when I click on it. There are several possibilities here...

Saint Petersburg, FL

These are the other two pics I took of the bugs. But they're still barely visible in this small of a picture. I tried copying the pic from this posting into a draw or write document but it won't come up right. Sorry, this is the best I can do.

Upon closer inspection, it appears that the critters might be doing some sucking of sweet juices off the flower. Some of them seem to have proboscis extended to the surface of the flower. They don't appear to be doing any damage, at least not so far.

They have an odd posture, as if their butts are up in the air. Reddish bodies, black legs/heads/antennae. Legs are long and spread, like a water surface insect.

Thumbnail by kibocat Thumbnail by kibocat
Minot, ND

These appear to be nymphs of a leaf-footed bug (family Coreidae) in the genus Leptoglossus - see http://entnemdept.ufl.edu/creatures/orn/leaffooted_bug.htm

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

I grow a number of vegetables these insects, at all stages, love They not only group together at the same stage, but do it as multi-generational families. I've watched bigger nymphs herd smaller ones when threatened. Fun to watch before dispatching. Easy to eliminate with a cup of soapy water and a stick to coax them to take the plunge.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.