High Springs, FL(Zone 8b)

The owner of the small nursery I bought this from couldn't tell me much about this plant. They got it from someone this spring and were told it's a Flame Flower, but it doesn't match anything under that name in my plant encyclopedia. The leaves are slightly fleshy and the flowers open in the morning and close by late afternoon. It kinda reminds me of a Desert Rose (adenium), but much smaller.

Thumbnail by Amaryllisgal
Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

The foliage looks like plumbago but the flower is not even close. This probably doesn't help at all. Just an observation :)

Success, MO

Sorry I can't help ... But thats a pretty one !!

Hugs!
Noweedsz

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

The flower reminds me of Ruellia, but the leaves don't look right. But there are a lot of species, so who knows?

C'mon folks! Someone MUST know what this is!!

Try Persian Violet - Exacum affine

2nd thoughts it isn't persian violet but they do look a little similar

This message was edited Friday, Nov 30th 4:01 PM

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Amaryllisgal, tell us a little more. How big are the flowers? How tall is the plant? How large are the leaves, and are they as pointed/hooked on the end as they look? Are they velvety or smooth?

Kearney, NE(Zone 5a)

It might be Talinum calycinum. try this link
http://www.highcountrygardens.com/shop/quicksearch.html
I had trouble getting this to work. If you try this link you will have to enter the plant name (Talinum calycinum or flame flower) to get the picture and information. See what you think

This message was edited Sunday, Dec 2nd 10:12 PM

Baa and Talinum, thanks for trying! But still no match.

Go_vols, the flowers are about half an inch in diameter when fully opened. The plant I have is about 18 inches tall, but I have no idea how tall it can get. The largest leaves are maybe 2 inches long and they are smooth and thick.

You can't tell by the photo, but the stems are a grayish color - they remind me of a leggy sempervivum (is there such a thing??)

I appreciate everyone's attempts!

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

The leaves look like a clausia, but mine hasn't bloomed yet and I couldn't find a photo on google.

Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

There is a picture of Clausia here
http://www.rmrp.com/Photo%20Pages/C/Clausia%20aprica%20100DPI.htm
I didn't look closely, but think the leaves and blooms are a little different.

After looking again at the leaves, they do look the same, maybe a little dried out, but the flower petals are split between them on this picture of the Clausia. Beats me!!

This message was edited Monday, Dec 17th 2:42 PM

Villa Rica, GA(Zone 7a)

Don't know what it is, but it sure is pretty!!!

Thanks for trying Brugie, but it's not the Clausia. The Clausia stems look furry and has bud clusters unlike my plant.

Desert Hot Springs, CA(Zone 10b)

I vote for a Ruellia. It looks somewhat like ones that grow here in the desert. Does it grow more prostrate that it did in the container?

Tim10, I had it in a flower bed for the past couple of months and it remained upright, never changing its growth habit. I agree that it's probably some sort of desert plant - it's definitely a succulent. All this time I still haven't found anything resembling it but I'm still hopeful!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.