Cut back your platycodon grandiflorus?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I always read that grandiflorus plants (the tall ones) will not flop if you cut them back when they are about a foot tall. So I did it for the first time. I took them down to about 8 inches. The tall pink and white ones stand tall while my blue ones have always collapsed. So we'll see.

Sierra Foothills, CA(Zone 8a)

Donna ~ Any result yet?

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

The one that I didn't cut as a test has flopped. The others are standing tall and continuing to grow. I understand that this will simply delay the bloom. And they look a lot better standing tall!

I do the same thing with asters and tall chrysanthemums. I am also checking to see if I can do it with more perennials.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I checked them this morning. They are setting buds!!!

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Yep, it worked. They are blooming without flopping - for the first time in YEARS!!!!!

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I had not heard about the grandiflorus plants and cutting them back. So, all grandiflorus plants can be cut back. Hmm. Where did you read about that? Sounds like a great tip. My platycodon grandiflorus have pretty much finished blooming. I cut them back. They bloom again for me in the fall after I cut them back. It takes awhile, however.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

I read about it many years ago but kept forgetting to do it. And every year my platys would flop, and THEN I would remember. The blue ones are far more prone to flopping than the white and pink, and it would be very noticeable.

This isn't where I got the tip but the ever wonderful Missouri Botanic Garden has it. I find it doesn't reduce plant height by very much. What it does do is delay bloom time by a couple of weeks, but I love it because I have always had to stake them, even in full sun, and this year I don't have to! They look wonderful!

http://www.missouribotanicalgarden.org/PlantFinder/PlantFinderDetails.aspx?kempercode=c282

This is different from the cut back you do to get rebloom. I do that too.

I gather information from 50 billion sources and make notes. What I finally did was put the cut back date on my calendar.

Donna ~ You are always so organized to the letter. However, my asters had been flopping for years, so I just decided to cut them back about July, and then they did not flop since then. I do that with my chrysanthemums also. I wish I could do that with my one flopping peony! Maybe I will just find a replacement for it.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

I will put that in my phone calendar for next year! Thanks. Mine always flop. I really like the plant, or I would have gotten rid of it by now. I really like the blue flowers. Plus mine, in the fall, turn a bright yellow. That's pretty too.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

Mine have bloomed and look fab. The few I missed are flopping on the ground. It's nice to have ones that finally look cool.

Jackson, MO(Zone 6b)

Yes, I will do that next year. Thanks for the tip.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

just happened to see the subject you are discussing and had to jump in and tell you I do that with Dahlias so i don't have to stake them. Now have bushy plants and a lot more blooms. just not quite as big. Forgot to say i pinch them off when they are about 4 inches out of the ground. just take the middle leaves etc out of it like you pinch anything else.

Elgin, IL(Zone 5a)

That's interesting. It would not have occurred to me to do this with bulbous plants. I think I am going to try it on a few.

Thanks!

Donna

Himrod, NY(Zone 6a)

This has been stuck in my 'new' thread list. So maybe this will unstick it.
Joy

I will say I enjoy reading and have cut many of my plants back to bush them out more or just to contain them a bit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.