SOLVED: ID please 7-13-2017

Bellflower, CA(Zone 10a)

I am always finding these seeds in my yard from the birds dropping them what are they please.

Thumbnail by BellflowerGypsy
Bellflower, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from BellflowerGypsy :
I am always finding these seeds in my yard from the birds dropping them what are they please.

Anyone out there to id this seed???

Yankton, SD

Im sorry I am no help but I also remember them from CA. I grew up in Anaheim and Riverside so it must be a common CA tree or plant. You could try and germinate a few. I would think they would need to be scarified and soaked.

Bretten, Germany

Reminds me of Castor plant, Ricinus communis

Bellflower, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from suse :
Reminds me of Castor plant, Ricinus communis

Definitely not Castor I used to grow Castor bean plant for its oil, these seeds I am finding are much smaller and have no markings on them as with Castor .
here is an image of Castor seeds

Thumbnail by BellflowerGypsy
Bellflower, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from VooDooU :
Im sorry I am no help but I also remember them from CA. I grew up in Anaheim and Riverside so it must be a common CA tree or plant. You could try and germinate a few. I would think they would need to be scarified and soaked.

Thanks for getting back to me . I am actually going to take the seeds up to our local nursery and show them to the botanist and get an in person ID, I will also plant one of the seeds in a pot and see what comes up.

Bretten, Germany

Acanthus seeds?

Yankton, SD

Quote from suse :
Acanthus seeds?

not if they are the ones I remember from CA, but Im not the OP

Sherman Oaks, CA

I think it could be seed from a Mexican fan palm (Washingtonian robusta), known as the California dandelion since it germinates everywhere with weedy abandon.

Yankton, SD

Quote from Joshua18 :
I think it could be seed from a Mexican fan palm (Washingtonian robusta), known as the California dandelion since it germinates everywhere with weedy abandon.

could be a similar palm but those seeds I couldnt find the tell tail white end that I remember

Bellflower, CA(Zone 10a)

Quote from VooDooU :
Quote from Joshua18 :

could be a similar palm but those seeds I couldnt find the tell tail white end that I remember
I believe they are Mexican fan palm seeds, we are surrounded by them in neighbors yards .

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.