Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

CLOSED: Can you guys help me identify this

Zurich, Switzerland

I had some strange nests in my house and also some wesp nests in the balcony. Since a month ago i added screen in the window so i dont get any insects. I searched the whole house but forgot to check bedroom. Now i see this insect on my lap. Can you guys tell me what it is? I need some peace in my house.

Thumbnail by c_ralu
Minot, ND

This is a wasp in the family Sphecidae (thread-waisted wasps). They all are predaceous/parasitic on other arthropods (insects and spiders) and pose no danger to humans. They are not aggressive and very unlikely to sting unless you were to pick one up carelessly.

Zurich, Switzerland

Quote from Flapdoodle :
This is a wasp in the family Sphecidae (thread-waisted wasps). They all are predaceous/parasitic on other arthropods (insects and spiders) and pose no danger to humans. They are not aggressive and very unlikely to sting unless you were to pick one up carelessly.

Thank you for answering. The problem was that I left the windows open for 2 weeks and i live near the forest. I found a nest in my living room (gray looking) which was full of dead spiders and larves. Later i realised i had a nest in front of my bedroom window and i found a small nest on the side of the bed(classical white one). I removed this one also and 4 weeks ago i installed a screen at each one of my windows. Now the question is: where is this wesp coming from? I live in an appartment building so i dont think it came throught the door. Can they survive so long without food? (i do have two orchids inside). Im just scared that there is some nest somwhere . Its strange that i saw none in the last 4 weeks.

Minot, ND

I really don't believe that you need to worry very much, The wasp could have entered from outside though a temporarily opened door or window, or (less likely) might have emerged from a nest that you had overlooked. Should you see any more and their presence really bothers you, simply vacuum them up and dispose in the trash.

Zurich, Switzerland

Thank you very much. i think it came out because i was burning rose insent. is there any way to lay a trap?. my lanlord and i looked for a nest but couldnt find any. he was suggesting beer trap?? any ideas since they are interested in spiders and not flowers?

Minot, ND

These wasps will feed on nectar and pollen, and thus often seen on flowers (only their larvae feed on spiders), so you might try a trap using sugar water...

Zurich, Switzerland

thanks a lot for your help. i think they came out of hiding because i was burning rose incent. they are all gone now!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.