AUGUST Ideas,challenges and organizing ourselves!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Moved us over from here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1450932/

On vacation, missing my sewing lol
Home Monday, am sure by Tuesday I'll have another quilt top on the frame.

This message was edited Aug 5, 2017 7:31 AM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Glad to hear you're enjoying your vacation, Betty!
I know Susan enjoyed hers - looked more relaxed at the end of it than when she got here (had been working 7 days a week since Jan 28th, with the exception of about 5 days spread out and 3 days she was sick).
I did some harvesting from our garden today - raspberries, potatoes, broccolli, garlic, onion, kale, beets, carrots, lettuce and cherry tomatoes. Still have some of the cabbage from July - cooked the last of it on the 3rd, and there's a lot of leftovers of it. Sure feels good to eat from the garden!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Missing my sewing too. I really need to carve out some sew time, really feeling behind.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Glad Susan enjoyed her holidays and that you all got to go camping.

Just got back from vacation last night at 7pm..relaxing today but am thinking about finding a new quilt pattern and also putting another quilt on the frame.

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Welcome Back, Betty!
I'm thinking about what to do to decorate the community Library! Heard last night that the Library contact wants to come on the 16th to look at it and decide if they want to keep managing it or let us do it. They've been culling it and take away books we want to keep. We still want their support, but want to do our Own culling! Last night I was there painting one of the bookcases, and it's from floor to ceiling - not easy for a shortie like me lol I have all sorts of ideas, including wallpapering the backs of them.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Made a visit to 2 fabric shops, joined in on Soltice quilt, pay $15 to join, 6 block patterns -1 each month, pick up 1st block and bought a Christmas pattern/fabric in november.

I only see 5 blocks unless they do something on back or divide a block in 2

This message was edited Aug 12, 2017 12:52 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

yeah, maybe the cardinal & chickadee are listed as 2 blocks. That would make sense.
Just got home from the Library - took all books out of one bookshelf and painted it. Going back later (after dinner) to put wallpaper in the back area, then put the books back in. Should be dry by then.

Victoria Harbour, ON

You are all gong ho susan, nice to see you are able to put your new found energy work.

This message was edited Aug 13, 2017 6:59 AM

Eastman, GA(Zone 8b)

Hello everyone! I'm new here but I have to ask, Bettypauze could you please tell me the designer of that bom or the name of the shop that's doing it? I cannot seem to find it anywhere in a Google search and I think it's absolutely beautiful!

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sent you email WhimsicalBoho, hope you stay with us, all love sewing and sharing of ideas

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Yes, Betty - all gung ho. Need to get stuff before the Marigold Library people come (they have to return Una's call to reset date to come, cuz we're not available on the 16th - that's my Red Hatter's day). Also, want to get things done so we can have an Open House as per Una. With my surgery in 1 month-ish, I want to be able to be there. Can't, afterwards, because I'm going to be laid up.
Went to the Library today, to trim the wallpaper in the bookcase, and put the books back on the shelves - 5 shelves worth. Didn't put on the top, nor the bottom shelf. One too high, other too low. I'm doing the same to all the tall bookshelves - don't use bottom or top. The regular bookshelves are ok. :-)
Bob's going with me tomorrow, to hang 3 signs from the ceiling, above the book spinners.
I'm pretty happy with how things look. Just one thing I'm unsure of - where to put the few Horror books - for space, and high enough so young ones aren't getting at them. So far, I have them above the Self Esteem section, and while that sounds wrong somehow, it's where I can fit them........

Victoria Harbour, ON

Hope Susan you took before and after photo's, would love to see all the hard work you've done, kudos to Bob for helping out as well!

My sister sharon just left the city, coming for a sew sew Day. She sure has taken to quilting.

Know I'll be embroidering a few quilt labels for her and might even get. Sew along with her.

What are you all up to?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

no, didn't take before pics. Maybe Una did, I don't know. Wouldn't be "before" as much as pics of events & people on-going.
I'm sure, at the Open House, there will be "after" pics taken lol

Victoria Harbour, ON

Next time you undertake a project susan, remember before and after pics lol

Looked for backing so I can put a quilt on the frame, npdont have enough of any one fabric so must wait until I go to Barrie, won't be till September before I go to joanns so barrie will have to do.

Girls are coming tomorrow, might look for ideas for something novel to make as Christmas is coming

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

LoL yes ma'am! I will take "after" pics and describe the difference. It should be obvious though. From dreary & dull, to pretty & functional

Victoria Harbour, ON

Ready for the girls, watching them with their projects might give me a boost to take on something new, usually I get my get up and go from all of you but haven't been seeing projects to give me a kick in the pants lol

So come on gals, photo's please

(Sue) South Central, IA(Zone 5a)

Hey all, good morning!

Betty, quite awhile back you mentioned using body pillows for pillow forms. Do you have any suggestions for throw (couch) pillows that makes a nice smooth form, other than those really expensive forms available?

Sue

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Here's a pic of the book bags I'm making for the Library
They'll all be different bags, cuz I'm repurposing the small fabric ones you buy at the grocery store - bought too many, so glad to have a purpose for them!

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B

Here is a pic of the table runner I'm making, Dresden Rain by Kelli Thompson.

Thumbnail by llilyfan
(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That is certainly different! I like it. What are your colors?

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

That is certainly different! I like it. What are your colors?

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sue, Love the use od Dresden platelets, unusual but so affective..the colours you've used (in my eyes) are so fall looking, great for thanksgiving table, and it's a coming lol. Having said that maybe I can take out the Halloween kit I made when I did my Halloween throw and start it, maybe once I get a project. Started I'll get my mo jo working.

Recycling those bags Susan is a great idea..great give always or sale items for a fundraiser.

Sue not sure what else you could use, I found for the Canada throws the nobody pillow filler was perfect, but then I quite stuffed them where you want a softer feel.

Thanks Barb,
a rusty burgundy center with gold tone 'petals' on an olive background, and black 'eye'. Supposed to look like sunflowers blowing in the breeze...will see about a border yet and it is finished and ready to quilt. It is my first Dresden plate pattern.

Thanks Betty,
yes, very fall feeling. Thanks for the input on the pillow forms...I keep thinking if you took a couple linen and poly roll batting squares, sewed them together, turned, and stuffed you would get a decent form, might have to try it; I need new pillows on my couch!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Library reno
Bob hung the signs from the ceiling, for the spinners. Before this, no one knew what was in which bookcase, or spinner. I have the one bookcase to paint, and the inside back to paper. At this stage I've done 2, and still have more book bags to make

Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B Thumbnail by Tallulah_B
Victoria Harbour, ON

Susan, looks nice and clean and well organized..you've done a great job!

Sue it will indeed look like sunflowers, anxious to see finished piece..I've got over 1/2 the blocks done for the Halloween piece, of course doesn't take long when each block is already cut out..filling in the day

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Thank you - my favourite part is that it's Organized. Now everyone will know where every book is. Not only that, but I printed up 3 lists of the books - by Title, Author & Genre, so people can see if a book is part of the library. Not going to check in / out, but there is a binder where people list their name & what books they've taken out or returned. That system was in place when I started there, but I added the Title/Author/Genre binder, which people are appreciating apparently.

Susan, that's a lot of loving work! Looks bright and inviting. Great job!

Betty, 1/2 the blocks done...mojo must be coming back!
I'll try to remember to take a pic and post when done.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Yes, thinking about projects, found 4 throws not quilted, then I have 2 wedding quilt tops yet to quilt then applique and quilt the Halloween piece, so need to get started.
Walmart has queen too sheets for sale, if they are hard way good quality I'll buy a few for wedding quilt backings.

Have all the blocks of the Halloween quilt done, now to applique and sew together, few days of work!
I'll be looking for the finished Dresden runner Sue.

Thumbnail by Bettypauze
TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh wow, Betty - there you go again, finding more to do. Well, better to do the UFO's than start more? Oh wait, this is YOU we're talking about - you'll do UFOs & New at the same time lol
Thanks Sue - yes, it's work I love to do. I love projects!! Una told me that she has another project for me to do - hooray!!! I'm waiting to see what it might be :-)

Those are adorable Betty, now I can't wait to see the completed project!

Susan, so much of the work we have to do is mundane, isn't it wonderful when we can put our strengths to work and enjoy it to boot!

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

oh yes - having the strengths to do something, and enjoying it are sometimes two different things......

The solar eclipse we're being treated to, on Monday - I guess we'll get more of a view than I thought, being about halfway between Vancouver & Regina! http://globalnews.ca/news/3548728/canada-solar-eclipse-august-21/

Victoria Harbour, ON

Sunday morning, high if 77 here, lots to do but don't feel like doing anything.

Went to Orillia yesterday,thought I'd buy some backing for wedding Quilts, I prefer buying 108 wide so I don't have a seam in the middleut for width I need 2 years, well at $32 each I left without buying any, wayyy to expensive, will wait until my next trip to joanns.

Found 3 Christmas throws that I might be able to find backing for in my stash, could get those done I guess and work on applique'ing the Halloween piece.
Just in a slump, best I get out of it quickly..

Might work in my gardens today deadheading spent flowers, clean things up, wouldn't hurt for an hour or so.

This message was edited Aug 20, 2017 4:14 PM

Victoria Harbour, ON

Got all my blocks applique'd, did a bit of weeding done and found the couch lol

just finished supper, think I'll go look forthenitting bag so I may not be tempted to go to bed early.

Was today a good day for you?

TORRINGTON, AB(Zone 3b)

Today Pat & I went to our church together. She asked me last night if she might be able to go with me. We had a good visit with the others from our church - they were very welcoming to her and she was appreciative.
Afterwards I showed her where we get our farm fresh eggs. Then, when I got home I found Bob hard at work putting the skirting on. It's done, and plywood so we'll be painting it dark grey. The siding will be white, and the top near the roof is currently rust coloured but we're painting it dark grey too.
Now, the last thing to do is the siding when we purchase it.
Our home is getting there!!

Victoria Harbour, ON

That is quite the day for both you and Bob..
Whatever will you do when house is finished.

Looking for Halloween or orange type fabric to be able to put the Halloween quilt together, surely I must have some somewhere

Hope everyone had a great weekend.

I was able to finish the sunflower runner and here it is, I normally don't brag about my own work but this turned out awesome!

The complete runner and a close-up of the quilting.

Thumbnail by llilyfan Thumbnail by llilyfan
Victoria Harbour, ON

Well done, what a gorgeous piece..you should be bragging,you've done a wonderful job, quilting really enhances runner design.

Thanks Betty, I was so excited at how it turned out.

Watching the eclipse right now, but clouds moving in...

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Very pretty Sue, you'll be all set for fall decorating.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.