Our annual end-of-summer contest is here, come on down to the Dave's Garden County Fair!

CLOSED: Identifying help: Beetle on potatoes, not CPB

Sudbury, Canada

Been searching high and low and can't identify this long bodied beetle. I have these and the Colorado potato beetles on my potatoes.

These grey/black ones don't seem to harm the plants as much as the CPB, but still causing significant enough damage and wilt. These ones hang out in groups and chase each other around a lot.

Interesting discovery though. Of the 5 varieties I am growing, the Russet Burbank are almost completely clear of both these pests and show very little wilt on the plants that did have some pest on them.

Sudbury, Canada

Seems my picture didn't attach

Thumbnail by Matt890ca
Minot, ND

It's a blister beetle (family Meloidae) in the genus Epicauta - some can be quite destructive foliage pests.

Sudbury, Canada

Quote from Flapdoodle :
It's a blister beetle (family Meloidae) in the genus Epicauta - some can be quite destructive foliage pests.

Thank you good sir!

Now I can do some research and get them under control.

Between them and the CPB the plants are nearly done (except the Russets). Dug up some potatoes and they look healthy with good size. So at least my yields will be mostly unaffected.

Thanks

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.