Would like to identify beautiful tree

Grand Rapids, MI

I have a lovely little tree nestled under a canopy of big tall trees, and I can't figure out what it is. I would guess it's 10-15 feet tall, and the leaves turn pink in the fall. Does anybody have a name for this pretty tree?

Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135
Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

Maybe Euonymus atropurpureus. Did you see any fruits/seeds?

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks! It may be, because my little tree is on a hill close to a creek! (I looked up a little information on that kind of tree and this is what it said.) In the third picture, if you look carefully, you will see a little green "pod" about 8-9 cm long. I will try to get some close-ups of them, and will try to pay more attention as to what happens as we get into fall.

Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

I think that is Euonymus alatus - Winged Euonymus, Burningbush.

Not a native species, and certainly well-known for seeding itself in.

That is not Eastern Wahoo (Euonymus atropurpureus), which is growing all around the Valley here.

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks! I shot some more photos, just to make sure. Do a wahoo (love that name!) or burning bush have pods and bark like this?

Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135 Thumbnail by Grac_e135
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

The vestiges of "wings" along the stems - though not as pronounced as many of the named selections sold commercially - point to Euonymus alatus. The "squarish" configuration of these same twigs is also indicative.

Finally, the two-lobed seed pods are common with Burningbush. Eastern Wahoo typically always has a four-lobed capsule.

Grand Rapids, MI

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.