SOLVED: Help Identifying, Please

Pittsburg, CA

I planted some live oak seeds and quite some time later another tree shot up out of one of the pots and is growing like a weed. I've planted so many trees that I'm not even sure what it could be. Looks mapley? I figured you all would know best.

Thumbnail by CleanFun Thumbnail by CleanFun Thumbnail by CleanFun Thumbnail by CleanFun
Scott County, KY(Zone 5b)

Alternate arrangement of leaves does not equal Maple - which will all be opposite.

That's a Mulberry species of some sort (Morus sp.) which does equal sudden rampant growth. Probably came from a bird deposit...

Charleston, SC

Could it be a type of fig tree? Ficus carica variety?

Pittsburg, CA

Dang you may be right bob. I've been growing several fig trees from seeds I ordered from Greece and already had one or two pop up a year or more after the initial planting. Since so much time had passed I couldn't identify them until they matured a bit. Every characteristic looks exactly like all the other fig trees except for the leaves on this are a bit more skinny and that threw me all the way off. Maybe it's a sunlight issue?

You guys amaze me to be able to just look at some of these pictures and know what they are. I deliberately cultivate them and I still get stumped.

I'm going to mark this mystery as solved.

Thank you both for taking a moment out of your day to help me out.

Best Regards

Charleston, SC

Happy to help CleanFun. I don't play golf, I'm not much of a boater (strange for a life long Charleston, SC resident), and I don't follow sports. I'm a self-confessed plant nerd, a 1 trick pony. My wife says I'm like a cat lady, but with plants. "There's always room for one more plant in my garden!"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.