Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Garden Talk: Snail Vine ?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 10, Views: 274
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2001
4:19 AM

Post #2165

Hi Everyone,
I received some unusual vine seeds in trade and I decided to start a few of them. I have several baby snail vines germinating, to my surprise, and I should have read more about this vine before attempting to grow it for my zone. Has anyone in zones 5 through 7 grown this vine with success?...and how?..do you bring it indoors in the winter or heavily mulch the root zone if left outside? Here is a link with a picture about the vine, which is so beautiful.
Trish
http://www.desert-tropicals.com/Plants/Fabaceae/Vigna_caracalla.html
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

May 29, 2001
3:46 PM

Post #78114

i bought this vine its beautiful-keeping it in the grenhouse to afraid to lose her!!! very different
Dicentra
Philadelphia, PA
(Zone 6b)

May 29, 2001
10:29 PM

Post #78248

Thanks! The vines are outside now in pots and they're taking over..lol. I would love to see some flowers soon :)
I'll treat it like Passiflora and bring it indoors when it gets cooler in the Fall.
Trish
suetom
Serpent River
Canada

May 30, 2001
1:08 AM

Post #78283

hello there
i started some from seed last summer and successfully overwintered them , i potted some in a much larger pot with some fresh soil and the other pot i planted right in the ground. i live in canada which i know they wont overwinter so i will probably overwinter them again.
would love to see them flower though , love different looking plants and shapes of flowers.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

May 30, 2001
2:13 AM

Post #78301

I grew mine in a pot, it rooted into the ground, grew up into a bird feeder and bloomed and made bean like seed. i cut it loose from the pole it was on, used a spade to free it's roots from the ground and brought what was left into the garage. it got watered about once a month and in the spring it put out new growth. i was so surprised.
Calalily
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

May 30, 2001
3:28 AM

Post #78332

sounds like a very interesting vine
Sandy
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 4, 2001
3:06 PM

Post #80037

mine are all in bloom-very different looking flowers!
CoCo

June 5, 2001
3:04 PM

Post #80361

OOH...would love to have some seeds or cuttings of this if any available. Will pay you postage if anyone interested in sending me some. I love vines and this is very different. I'm in zone 7 so would like to give it a try here in Texas.
Thank you.
cazique
Wewahitchka, FL
(Zone 8b)

June 9, 2001
1:05 PM

Post #81755

I'd like to try it also. I had never heard of it before.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

June 10, 2001
3:20 AM

Post #81882

I'm growing this for the fisrt time this year. For those who want to look up more info, it's botanical name is Vigna caracalla, sometimes listed as Phaesolus caracalla. I have few seeds left, but I'll be sure to save as many as possible for anyone who wants them come fall. (Thompson and Morgan sells them----$6.00+ for FOUR seeds!)
notmartha
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

June 11, 2001
12:55 PM

Post #82223

i payed 4.50 for my hanging vines!!!! already in bloom

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America