Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Garden Talk: Dave

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 6, Views: 137
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2001
10:36 PM

Post #2237

I posted a question about a certain mail order nursery and some members had a few negative thoughts on that particular company - it is good to know. Then someone else posted another query about another nursery. Also bad news!!! Would it be a good idea do you think to have a forum dedicated to bad experiences. Maybe there could be two forums - one for the good guys and one for the bad!! What do you think?
Janice

(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2001
11:20 PM

Post #57415

I would love to see a forum like that. Perhaps if the rotten apples (no pun intended he he) saw they were on a bad list perhaps they would clean up their act.
On the other hand even if the rotten apples didnt then perhaps at least we would know not to purchase from them.
There are ALWAYS newbies coming in and it would really benefit them.
Janice
ladygreenthumbs
Fredericksburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 11, 2001
11:29 PM

Post #57421

Or perhaps we could just have a GOOD list and if it's not on there, well then you get the picture. Also, this would alleviate negative tones. Perhaps we could put a company/source on the GOOD list if they had a minimum of 5 good reports from members, or something like that.

Just my two cents...now I'll lurk some more. LOL
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2001
12:06 AM

Post #57428

I posted on dave's garden forum and asked for a database. Kind of like the plant database. Where all of the members could add a company with the info and what they offered and people could somehow rate it or leave comments. I thought if it was like the plant database, we could search for a company by name or area (address) and learn about others experiences. With the forums sometimes things move down and get lost or many duplicated entries from different people. What do you think?
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2001
1:06 AM

Post #57441

Mick - you're right about duplication and lost threads. Perhaps your idea is the way to go. I only have one thing to say about that really - I don't particularly want to bad-mouth any company and we have a saying in England which is 'speak as you find'. After posting this thread I re-thought the original idea. Some people might be quite happy with a particular company whilst others may have had bad results from the same nursery. If we have a forum simply aimed at this issue, it might look as though we are victimising companies. Could this evoke any kind of lawsuits I am wondering? Or am I being paranoid? On the other hand, if we keep the status quo, i.e. with members voicing their disatisfaction or praise for a particular company on Garden Talk say, then we are not making a big issue of it. I must say though that I would certainly want to know the integrity and reputation of certain companies. :-) I think Ladygreenthumbs has the right idea!

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 11th 9:08 PM
gardener_mick
Wentworth, SD
(Zone 4a)

March 12, 2001
2:12 AM

Post #57460

We could possibly have just a database of companies then. I see what you are saying. I have bought from companies that others said were no good and been happy with my purchases. I think that having a list that could be built on for companies, people would have somewhere to start looking. Right now I do a search on the internet to find new companies and if I see something that I like at a fair price I order. There are a lot of companies that I still have not seen, just for lack of knowing where to look. I honestly don't want to badmouth anybody.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 12, 2001
2:31 AM

Post #57466

Mick - I didn't for one minute think that you would want to bad mouth anyone. :-) But I take your point, and it is a good one.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America