Stay at home moms-question

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

How many times can a mom listen to "The Little Mermaid" soundtrack before you are driven nuts??? Just wondering. Any feed back would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Ariel..uhmm, I mean Lisa.
***I know maybe I should have posted this on the General forum, but I know lots of us 'farm gals' are stay at home moms!(I just feel more comfortable here) :-)****

This message was edited Monday, Mar 12th 12:29 PM

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

LOL Lisa! We dont own that one! But try pokemon over n over
oddish oddish oddish they chant names and noises! I learned all the words to lion king and the land b4 time 1-7!!! Believe me I know what you are talking about. But dayme is full of mom and why all day long!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Uh-huh, Real bad on rainy days....real looooooong daze...

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Lady and the Tramp was our particular nemisis :-) I *wasn't* a stay-at-home-mom and I personally got to watch/listen to it at least 12 times one week! ...But now that the babies are grown, and my youngest is 10, I miss those days. So, my favorite way to watch Lday & the Tramp was asleep - I'd corral the girls on the bed so I'd feel them climb over me if they tried to escape, and then snooze... or do (my) homework or my work work while lying on the bed. They'd use my back as a pillow... hmmmm, and I used to wonder why my back ached all the time!

Good luck!

Karla

Kennedy, NY(Zone 4a)

I know the words and songs for every Blue's Clues episode, Alladin, and countless others. I also know every notw of Fantasia and Fantasia 2000, but that doesn't bother me as bad, because my daughter loves the music, especially Rhapsody in Blue, which in on Fantasia 2000.

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

I too am a stay at home mom. Thank God! They outgrew Barney!! And Teletubbies, the worst part is when you are out doing errands, and The songs are in your head!!! Like a curse!To my horror I have caught myself singing these songs.
My favorites are Fantasia, Dexters Labaratory, Rugrats. The good thing I hear from you is that you all are paying attention to what your kids are watching. So many moms don't!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Dexter is the best!!! We love him! Can't catch Rugrats, we don't have "big" cable. We only have the 6.95 one! And yes, her TV is very much limited and we are very pickey about what *WE* and she watches. We rarely even have it on. Music lovers here! Lisa

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

That really brings back the memories!!! LOL I'll bet I've listened to it 100 times at least!!! :)

Terri

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

scoobydooby doo get ready for your act-dont hold back your going to get yourself a scooby snack
scoobydooby doo where are you-your ready and your willing
scoobydooby doo I know you'll catch that villian!

We sing this one all the time!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

LOL! Patty! I say that all the time!!!ROTFLMHO!!! Lisa

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Hi, everyone. We found out the problem with my postings. Thanks, Dave. Fixed it, now I'm back.
I guess I'm a mean old mom, I jsut didn't let our children wear us out on things like that. We didn't have a VCR for all of the childrens' growing up years so that helped. I still don't let grandchildren play something over and over and over. Now the songs in my head is me. Fortunely DGS likes only gospel and insturmental jazz music. So I have mostly choruses from church running thru my mind.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi EvaMae! I know what you mean about letting them watch the same thing over and over! LOL! DD was actually listening to the music from The Little Mermaid! I bought the soundtrack years ago (before I was even married and had a little one). One day I made the mistake of playing it for DD and that was all she wrote....now we listen to the soundtrack over and over and over and over...anyway, I guess it is better than watching TV! DD sure is getting some fancy foot work for a three year old! Lisa

Jacksonville, TX(Zone 8b)

Sigh- I know you will all think I'm nuts, but I look forward to graduating to Disney!! We're still on the itsy-bitsy-spider, this old man, and peek-a-boo with the youngest. I SWEAR that I sing the ABC song in my sleep!

Trish

Trish - I was waiting for you to show up in this thread. :) I'm disappointed that you didn't confess that we know the lyrics to just about every song Disney has ever created for an animated movie.

I musta missed this thread earlier today- gasp!!!

Whadda ya mean-"confess"?!?!?! Proud as a peakcock- I am! The kiddos will have trouble keeping up with us! I've only seen The Little Mermaid about 100 million times myself, gosh...its about time that I get to watch it with the kids.

I'm a "mean mommy" too- there will be no Rugrats, Barney, South Park, Blues Clues, or any such in this house- no sirree! Only stuff _I_ want to watch! HGTV and Disney- we'll have the most creative Mickey Mouse lovers in the country! LOL!

Trish

ps- please excuse any bantering between Dave and I tonight, folks...it seems we're up late working :)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Les Poissons, les poissons, how I love les poissons....

Lisa: If I had to guess of all the songs in all the world to hear you sing, that would be it!! The french guy cooking up cajun food just screams you! :-)

"Red, yellow, green, red blue blue blue red purple green yellow orange red... blend them up and what-do-ya get?"

hehehe. The difference between Trish and I is that I am a "classic" Disney fan and she prefers the later movies.

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Sacranome, what iz dis...how could I miss such a succulent little crab...Yep, Dave that guy cracks me up! Its like that old Bugs Bunny cartoon, the one where they have the 2 french chefs from Antoine's. I always wondered how the rest of the world could understand that one. They make several remarks in french and about cajuns! It is one of my favorites. Lisa

This message was edited Monday, Mar 12th 10:50 PM

Yeah- Dave just has a thing for Annettee and her classic songs (Dave- I'm really am ROTFL!)

Try the grey stuff- it's delicious...don't believe me? Ask the dishes! They can sing, they can dance

Trish

Patty- on a more serious note...once you understand where some of those nursery rhymes come from- they really are scarey!

The seaweed is always greener, in somebody else's lake....
Trish

I'm loving this thread! I rarely chuckle out loud in front of my computer, yet here I am!!

Ahhh, Annette Funicello. Now Disney needs a modern Annette for their latest movies! Mr. Piano man please... tickle those ivory keys! She may be 65 years old now, but she was quite the act back in 1960!

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

What about all the old Hailey Mills flicks with Disney. What a cutie. Then there was the one called "Thomasenia" I know the spelling is wrong, but I loved it. Disney could never find anyone to make a modern Annette, no actress today could hold a candle to her. I have a very old Mickey Mouse clock (1960ish) and an old Mickey Mouse Club bag. Lisa

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

AWWW! Muppets, Now that is what I call great TV!*Its time to play the music, its time to light the lights... Lisa
Dave/Trish, I must say this is the best thread EVER!

This message was edited Monday, Mar 12th 11:13 PM

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 13th 8:44 AM

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Now the Muppets I can handle. In a somewhat limited amount. That's how I want nearly everything, in limited amounts so I don't get so tired of them that I never want to hear them again.
My favorite hymns are the older ones. Tell Me the Story of JESUS, Old Rugged Cross, etc. tho there are some newer ones I really like too. Like Because He Lives. WOW, what a message. And He's the Only Reason I Live, But Oh What a Reason. My personal statement was sung by a young woman a few years ago, maybe 5 years ago. It was called There Is A Line That I Will Not Cross. One of our teenage DGDs was living with us at the time and she said that was me alright. I don't remember the words anymore, but I use to sing it alot. Any time she tried to talk me into something not Christian I would start to sing that song. That ended the discussion.
I didn't sing very many of the classical children's songs or read many of the time honored children's stories to our children or grandchildren. Grimm's Fairy Tales were really awful. One or 2 of our children were terrified of Dr. Suess stories and pictures. Others liked them. Our children grew up watching Seasame Street, Captain Kangaroo, Andy Griffith Show, Family Affair, Dick VanDyke, I Love Lucy, etc. 12 year old DGS still likes Dick, Andy, and the Beaver shows. We did sing Itsy Bitsy Spider, etc. Does anyone know the origin of Ashes, Ashes, All Fall Down? It started and is about the plague.

leaflaady- you're my kinda of gal!!

Trish

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Yes EvaMae! I had heard that the story of Ashes was about Leprosy I believe. They said people kept posies in their pockets because of the stench they had of rotting flesh! Yuck! We also listen to Christian music here. Steve Curtis Chapman is one of our favorites. Lisa

(Zone 6a)

I was told by my microbiology professor that it was about the bubonic plague. Ring around the rosey(they would get a ring around there neck) pocket full of posey(to put their noses in becauses of the stink) ashes ashes we all fall down.

I still remember having night mares about bambie and the fire. The dragon in sleeping beauty, and the witch in snow white scared both of my kid's silly.

The one I couldn't believe was the movie "All dogs go to heaven" The dogs were drinking, gambling and smokeing cigars. That movie just kind of got lost.

My favorite movie was the care bears... my baby is 10 and I still know all the words...

I have to admit, as much as I LOVE disney- there is no way that my kids are watching it until they are older. Almost all of the movies have pretty scarey things in them. I remember when Lion King came out, my niece had nightmares for weeks- (she was 3 at the time). I have every Disney movie ever made, but they will all go into storage soon, leaving out only the really kid friendly ones (Winnie the Pooh, ect). I am strict about what the kids watch, but some of it is for selfish reasons- I hate Barney and all of those shows, and I simply don't want to deal with Disney nightmares (I had nightmares about the Jungle Book!). I know I can't do this forever, but if we homeschool I'll have a better shot at the kid-pressure :)

Mean-mean Mommy,
Trish

Joshua Tree, CA(Zone 8b)

Dave and Trish, Best bet for getting toddlers into Disney , DUMBO, They love it. Lots of songs, and it seems to catch their interest, not too long either.Wont give them any night mares. I watch even new Disney first , and then I let them watch it. Got to be carful of some of all the cartoons. Some have some offesive stuff in my opinion. I dont let them watch witches, either. I dont let my kids watch a lot. They are not allowed to even change the channel . I program their Sat morning cartoons.I dont let them get desensitized. Michele

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Chris! You are right...that was the story I heard!
Trish: how is this for mean of all meanies...DD is 3 and has never been to Burger King or McDonalds.She does not know what a Happy Meal is. To her a happy meal is a nice bowl of steamed broccoli with cheese! LOL! She has never had soda pop either. Gosh, I am sooo mean. Mean Mommy...

southeast, NE

Oh no! I'm the queen of the "mean moms" and my dd would get so mad when I told her how proud I was to be a "mean mom".

I miss those 60's sitcoms. DD has cable in her dorm room and said when she wants to "veg out" those are the shows she enjoys most. We are quite "backward" and don't have cable here at home. The only reason I would get it is to watch to good "oldies".

Moorestown, NJ(Zone 7b)

Count me in as "mean mom" too.....only have one son and he loved all the Disney movies, (Bambi was his fav & we'd both cry when his mommy died!)....but he never watched anything to excess. The Little Mermaid was his 2nd favorite. Came out right about when he was 3 I think.

Now, if I really want to tick him off, all I have to do is start singing the song "Shall We Dance" from the King and I...he worked on a theatrical production one summer, musta heard that song 100x a day for 2 months! God bless him, I couldn't have done it! But now, he has great appreciation for not overdoing any music of any type!

BTW, Chris is right - Ring Around the Posey was about the Black Plague.......

Thanks for all the laughs on this post. Even though my DS is almost 16, I remember all too well the songs, names and titles ya'll have mentioned! My son babysits the 5 & 3 year olds across the street, so he's had to "suffer" through Blues Clues, Pokeman (ARGH!), etc.....thinks they're totally "gross" and his kids will "never watch that stuff". Well DUH! There will be something new by then! :-)

Have to admit the 'bantering' back and forth between Dave and Trish has been hilarious! You two are somethin' else!

Michele5000 - you've got a good thing going with not letting your kids get "de-sensitized"......that's so easily done! I do think that us stay-at-home moms tend to allow that kind of stuff less than a lot of the working moms.....I'm not just trying to trash them, as I have a degree in Psychology to back my facts. But those of us that made the decision to stay home and RAISE our kids, plan more of what they see, eat, experience, etc., than overwhelmed, overworked moms that spend only a couple of rushed and tired hours w/ their kids each day and then do the "make up" rush on the weekends for "all that quality time".

I guess maybe I should get off this pedastal/soapbox I'm on......and back to the Disney movies myself! :-)

Speaking of Disney movies...that new one "Dinosaur" -- is it me?? I would have been TERRIFIED to see that as a kid! My neighbor's 3 year daughter is totally addicted to it (we had to borrow it under the cover of night so she didn't have a FIT because it was gone! -- that's a whole 'nother story!!!!!!)...........but I mean, really! That thing scared ME as an adult! And I didn't think I was that much of a wuss!

Just give me Oscar the Grouch......maybe that's who I really am anyway! :-)

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Karla, I get on my soapbox too about staying home with my little one--it is okay with me if you get on yours! You made some good points. If WE can make it on one income, I think anyone can! LOL!Just a matter of juggling needs and wants. Lisa

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Oh,yes, Trish, do homeschool if at all possible. It is such a wonderful experience in the end for most people. Have you heard of the unschooling method? We use it in conjunction with Alpha Omega Switched On Schoolhouse. To learn about it, go to www.veggiesource.com, scroll down to homeschooling forum/boards, and go there. There are several homeschooling boards and that is one of them. There are probably other sources of info on it too if you just do a web search.
Lisa, when our children were little there were no health food stores in the midwest that I knew of and organic gardening was a real oddity. So I subscribed to Organic Gardening & Prevention magazine and became somewhat of a natural food "freak" as the neighbors and most friends called me. I mail ordered the naturally dried fruits raisins and sesame seeds, seed butters, etc. for our children. I have to admit to using some pesticides for a few years just so there was something to harvest, but I really tried/try to do the organic, natural food scene. Our children had no choice as to whether or not to eat what was offered foodwise unless allergy tests showed they could/should not have it. I always told them that if I could learn to make and eat breaded tomatoes and mountain oysters they could learn to eat anything! I still think breaded tomatoes look and smell like someone ate a tomato sandwich and got sick. My father always said that when someone ate mountain oysters it was as low and disgusting as it could get. But I married a man whose family and he raised hundreds of head of male cattle and thousands of hogs every year. That was a big treat to them after a hard day or 2 of work castrating all those critters. I was told I WOULD learn to cook them properly. Since I had to cook them I decided I would learn to like them. Now I would give a lot for a nice pan of them and have no idea where to find them. Our children grew up eating foods most children would never touch in their entire lives. Admittedly some of them are off their food list now, but at least they were well exposed. I'm having trouble getting this 12 year old DGS to eat a lot of the foods he should. His mother did NOT stay with the eating habits she learned at home. We do eat some fast foods tho. I don't believe in throwing the babies out with the bath water. I just watch what we eat more carefully than most people. I will admit you are probably right. And if you never start it, you won't have to break the habit.
I remember the King & I-the one with Debra Kerr and Yul Brenner(maybe it was Anna & the King of Siam then). Shall We Dance is still a favorite of mine. I saw Wizard of Oz when I was about 15 or so. It terrified me. Running a high fever and it storming outside didn't help any. My youngest brother thought the folks needed a TV so he got them one. That was in the mid-50s. Not much on then that one needed to censor. But I remember b'sitting some children once who had to have The 3 Stooges taken off the allowed list because the oldest one(a girl)would imitate the behavior toward her younger brother. I've never been a fan of most cartoons because they are all violent in some way or another. DH and the children our children failed to see my point of view however so they were watched almost religiously. Look at how Wiley Coyote treated the Roadrunner, how Elmer Fudd was constantly putting down or shooting at Bugs Bunny, etc. The ones now are just horrible and we don't watch any of them. Fortunately DGS shares our values on the ones out now. He prefers to watch Discovery Science, medical, HGTV, or animal channels.
If enough of us refuse to go along with the garbage being put in front of our children we do have a chance at saving society from the grips of malnutrition & evil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images