-
AuthorContent
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 14, 2001
9:16 PM

Post #2368

I'm planning on propagating azaleas this spring. I'm sooooo excited about this. Savannah, GA is a city known for it's beautiful azaleas and dogwoods. They're everywhere and in every yard!!! This is supposed to be very easy to do according to a friend of mine that has done this before. A softwood cutting, a little rooting hormone and that's all there is to it! Have any of you ever propagated azaleas?

Terri
MzMunchken
Crestview, FL
(Zone 7b)

March 15, 2001
12:00 AM

Post #58446

Removed by member request
dave

March 15, 2001
1:53 AM

Post #58476

That works for you zone 9ers... :) I'm going to give this a shot with my azaleas here.

I presume that this technique does not work so well with the cousin Rhododendron? I'm considering building a nearing frame for these guys this year.
weebus
Olympia, WA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2001
1:50 AM

Post #60681

Yep! My mom used to just break a stick off and shove it into the ground where she wanted a new one...Amazing.
Rhodies are almost as easy...

Weebus

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

March 31, 2001
8:04 PM

Post #63935

The Old-Timers here in the mountains say to take the tips in the late summer/early Fall (the new growth) and just strip the lower leaves and plant.

darius
Semiplena
Fremont, CA

March 31, 2001
9:55 PM

Post #63995

Try to do the cuttings just after the plant has finished blooming. Then is the time it forms new growth, so if you take cuttings, roots will be part of that growth. I have only rooted azaleas once. With hormone. I had about a 50% success rate.

Mike
sayre
Williamsburg, VA
(Zone 7a)

April 2, 2001
6:01 PM

Post #64604

Easy, easy! I've done this method without harmone with success. I think best would be after blooming when you would be pruning anyway. Dave you might want to try grafting or budding with the Rhododendron. Also I have several azaleas that are rooting thru layering. Last year I just made a depression in the ground, bent the stem so it made contact with the soil (remove the leaves where the nodes touch the soil) covered with more soil and anchored with a brick. I will pot them this year. This method promotes a high rate of success (prevents water stress and carbohydrate shortage that plague cuttings). 'Course when you just have cutting, you stick them in the ground--Sayre

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America