Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Pretty Pink ID Please

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 15, Views: 202
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 2, 2002
9:48 PM

Post #20502

A friend has two of these trees in his yard. He says they get millions of pink flowers that are tiny in March & April here in Md - once the flowers die off it gets like feathery needles in place of the flowers. He must cut it back some each year to keep them from taking over.
Could someone ID for us please and let me know if a cutting will start for one of my own.
Thanks, Candee

Thumbnail by haighr
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

January 2, 2002
9:50 PM

Post #186205

They are Tamarisk (Bot name Tamarix but I couldn't tell you the species withour a leaf description) trees/shrubs. Very beautiful but as you say can take over and can even be invasive in some areas (I understand a few states have listed them noxious weeds). They are great for coastal plantings because they withstand the salt in the air very well.

This message was edited Wednesday, Jan 2nd 5:54 PM
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 3, 2002
10:56 PM

Post #186764

Tamarix ramosissima?

It can also be grown here... got some seeds from Jianhua and will try.

That's very pretty.
Baa

January 3, 2002
11:03 PM

Post #186769

Tamarix ramosissima flowers in late summer-early autumn and has more dense flower clusters around the stem. If it has scalelike or needlelike leaves its likely to be T. tetranda.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2002
5:19 AM

Post #186979

Baa, would they be best grown from seeds or cuttings?
Baa

January 4, 2002
9:10 AM

Post #186991

MsBatt

They are fast growers so seed, semi ripe cuttings in summer or hardwood cuttings in winter will all give you a good size shrub in a few years. Cuttings may flower more quickly. They need to be pruned because they become top heavy and will eventually fall over. If you are inland they will need a sheltered place from cold wind, they cope with strong wind from the coast well but will fail quickly with a cold drying wind.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 4, 2002
3:29 PM

Post #187107

Thanks everyone the responses are greatly appreciated. Baa - how to I start a cutting, new branch in water to root or what?
Baa

January 4, 2002
6:07 PM

Post #187234

Haighr

Take a hardwood cutting about 10 inches long, if you are having to travel a while to get it home wrap the bottom of the cuttings with moist cottonwool and place them in a ziplock bag, they will keep for a couple of days like this if needs be.

You can start them in water but I don't personally like this method as the roots are adapted to growing in water and can have trouble when transplanted into soil. Water rooting works well for some, if you are more comfortable with this method then by all means use it. They are very easy to grow. When the cuttings have taken root give them a pot of moist soil and keep in a sheltered position, they should be grown enough to plant out by next Autumn.

I'd love to hear how you get on :)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2002
7:36 PM

Post #187846

Thanks Baa, what's the alternative to starting in water?
Baa

January 5, 2002
7:52 PM

Post #187848

You're Welcome Haighr

Putting the cuttings into a pot of soil in a sheltered position. Make sure there is about 2 inches of the cutting in the soil. Some use rooting hormone (I don't) but Calalily has an alternative to rooting hormone, I'm not sure if it would work with hardwood cuttings.
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 5, 2002
8:39 PM

Post #187860

Thanks so much Baa, I'll get the cutting next week and try and let you know how it goes!
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 15, 2002
1:45 PM

Post #193341

Hey Baa, I got the cuttings yesterday, went home and put two in a vase with water and put the other three in potting soil! Wish me luck. Last year I started some contorted pussy willow and another willow in water they got great root systems, but only the contorted grew outside and the other type didn't make it at all.
Baa

January 15, 2002
7:28 PM

Post #193491

Haighr

GOOD LUCK! :) I hope they grow well for you.

Its good to use different methods 'just in case' as they say. I wonder why the other willow never made it?
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 16, 2002
1:02 PM

Post #193842

Some of the corkscrew willow did okay, but began looking bad late summer, but the contorted pussy willow, which I really wanted to grow, had great roots in the water, but didn't make it outside for some reason. And that willow was really neat looking it was twisted and had some wide flat parts and the pussy willows were all over it. Oh well, will try again this year.
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

January 18, 2002
11:23 AM

Post #194980

I wish I could buy one here.. problem is just that a small tree costs 250 FIM =)
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

January 18, 2002
12:35 PM

Post #195004

Evert, if my clippings take well, I would be glad to send you some!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America