Landscaping software?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Before Christmas, I found a site that had landscaping software for around $30. I printed it out and sent it with my Christmas list. I didn't get the software for Christmas, and now I would like to just order it for my Valentines gift from DH, (he'll be happy that he doesn't have to shop!) but I don't have the printout anymore and can't find the site? Anyone know what site it is? I can't remember the name of it either.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I found it. Took a lot of searching, but this is the one I was looking for. Anybody have any experience with it?
http://www.gardencomposer.com/index.shtml

Midland, PA

I have Sierra's Landscaping and I don't like it. This one sounds promising. I think I'm going to order it -- if you do let me know what you think of it.

Warwick, NY(Zone 6a)

Has anyone heard of GrowIt Gold V8 at www.taoherbfarm? That looks pretty good - especially the photo possibilities. I don't know who they are (Canadian?), but they're pretty responsive. I ordered it on impulse last week, then had immediate second thoughts and cancelled right away. I got confirmation of the cancellation right away.

The website has a very nice slide show of the product.
It's more expensive ($110), but might be worth it.
Any comments on GrowIt Gold?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

AnneS, no comments on Growlt Gold -sorry :(

I got Punch brand landscape design software as a Christmas gift. I had the Sierra 3D already (got it free after a rebate last year), and it's okay but kind of clunky (drawing and viewing free-form beds are almost impossible.)

Honestly, I can't tell you if this new software is much better; I haven't taken the time to sit down and play with it.

I heard that Edens_Gardener got new software for Christmas, too - I *think* it might have been the Garden Composer. You might email her and find out which one she got, and how she likes it. Tell her "hi" from her DD if you do :)

Warwick, NY(Zone 6a)

Thanks go_vols. I'm new to this. Can you tell me how I would find Edens-Gardener's email or otherwise send message? Appreciate your help.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

AnneS, look in the Member List (it's in the box to the right.) You can search by the first letter of their DG name (E in this case.) They're listed alphabetically in there.

Hope that helps. And welcome to Dave's Garden, by the way! (I don't think we've ever had the pleasure of "meeting" before now.)

Warwick, NY(Zone 6a)

go_vols, appreciate the info. Am going there now. This is a terrific site. Thanks for the welcome.

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

I got the software, but I'm having a few problems with it. I'm going to keep playing with it and see if I can get it figured out. It has promises, that much I can see.

lagrange, GA(Zone 7a)

I have the Sierra also and find it hard to do. As a matter of fact I don't do it. Don't even have it loaded anymore.

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Joanj,

Did you ever get Garden Composer to work like you wanted it to? I'm thinking of buying it but I don't want to buy yet another piece of software that I never use. Has anyone else tried it?

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

No, I didn't get it to work like I wanted it to. It would be great for a small yard, but I'm working with 5 acres, that I want totally landscaped someday, so it was way to big for me to work with. This winter I'm going to break the yard down into sections and try it that way. Sorry I don't have any good news, but if you have a small yard it may work great for you.

Monroe, LA(Zone 8a)

Thanks for your response! My yard is very small (especially compared to yours) so I think I'll give it a try. I've been working without a plan and I'm not getting the results I want.

Hot Springs, SD(Zone 4a)

I can tell you that landscape programs take time to learn. I stuck with Sierra Landdesigner.
befor and after pics if this works.

Thumbnail by bblandscaping
Hot Springs, SD(Zone 4a)

Design

Hot Springs, SD(Zone 4a)

After

Belfield, ND(Zone 4a)

Cool before/after!!!! I'm so glad to see that Sierra Landdesigner works so well. I think I need to drag out some of my landscaping disks this winter and give them another chance.

By the way, WELCOME TO DG!!!!

I always love to see a fellow cold weather country member! Someone to share info with.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I like Sierra's LandDesigner suite - I think mine's version 6. It's worked great for me, when I remember to use it!

GOD's Green Earth, United States(Zone 8b)

I just checked out the Gardencomposer Site. Any more experiences with this? I'm thinking very seriously about purchasing this. Thanks! Gretchen

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I was not real impressed with the titles they published under Broderbund, buy maybe they've improved since then. http://www.gardencomposer.com/dicomp-contacts.html

They do offer a 30-day guarantee (less shipping costs, of course). http://www.gardencomposer.com/dicomp-policy.html#mb30day

Go for it, worst you'll be out is shipping costs.

This message was edited Nov 6, 2003 5:00 PM

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I am looking for some landscaping design software to help me design a garden area around my backyard fence. My budget is $75 or under - does nayone have one they are happy with and would recommend? I'm in Iowa where it has snowed for the last 2 months and I thought working on this would get me through until spring! thnx - pat

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

You might look around this forum a bit more--this thread that you found is really old, there was another thread or two from 2006/2007 discussing the same subject and I know there were some suggestions in there (and since they're more recent, it's more likely that you can actually still find the software that was discussed!)

That being said, I've tried several different software packages in the past, and I've found good old graph paper and a pencil are still the best!

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4b)

I gave up on the software and use the graph paper and pencil myself.

Scottsburg, IN(Zone 6a)

I've tried Garden Composer and valuesoft's Complete Landscape Garden & Design, and a couple others (as gifts) and find I always end up back with graph paper and a sharp pencil :)

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

One of today's articles is the 1st in a series about landscape software. http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/389/

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images