Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Gayl
Julian, WV

March 16, 2001
4:59 AM

Post #2406

I have started some catus from seed and to my suprise they are doing better than I thought they would. One of them I cant identify. You can tell which one it is because it stands out from all the rest.( it is the long slinder one )
If someone can identify it for me I would greatly appreciate it. ------ Thanks

Thumbnail by Gayl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SMSpear1
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2001
11:36 AM

Post #58807

Hi Gayl,

Welcome to Dave's Garden! I wish I could help you. If my grandma were still alive, I'm sure she would know. She was an avid cactus and afican violet grower. It's a cute little cactus.

Sharon
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 16, 2001
11:52 AM

Post #58810

Gayl,

It almost looks as though you have sprouted yourself an epiphyllum. If this is the case, consider yourself pretty lucky!

Epiphyllums are also called "Orchid Cacti." They are jungle cacti, and need different care than desert cacti. They should never be put into direct sun, and should be kept evenly moist at all times. I grow mine in a mixture of leaf mold, larger grain perlite, a scant amount of aged cow manure, and a scant amount of Grow Mix. They like to stay moist, but they need to drain fast and have airation to the roots.

If it IS an Epi, eventually your seedling will start to develop branches that are flattened or angled and lengthy, and look somewhat like a Christmas cactus. Then you will know for sure.

You may want to visit this website for more info:
http://www.junglecactus.com

dave

March 16, 2001
11:54 AM

Post #58811

Gayl: I can't directly help you here, but...

Generally Prickly Pears keep a nice uniform oval shape, but if they don't get enough of the light that they need, they stretch out into a long, thin, tall pear. I had this happen at least twice while growing prickly pears under growlights. They grow so tall in an attempt to try to become taller than whatever is blocking the sun from him. :)

So that very well could be a standard prickly pear! Try moving it to a southern-facing window and see what happens.

Dave
Gayl
Julian, WV

March 17, 2001
2:57 AM

Post #59004

Thanks for the replies to my question. I am hoping that IndaShde is right and I have gotten lucky and it is a Orchid Cacti. If it is I might have to ask a few more questions on growing it.
Dave I don't think that it was stretching to the light. All of the ones I grew was grown with the same amount of light , soil etc. Could only one still yet do that? Also it has the two leaves on it and altho you can't really tell in the picture the base of the plant is smooth and not like a cactus. Could it also do that with trying to stretch to the light? I am always open for any help.
I have to agree with you SMSear1---I think it is a cute little catus also. Even if I did just stumble onto it. :-)
IndaShade
Kylertown, PA
(Zone 5b)

March 17, 2001
2:59 PM

Post #59097

Gayl,

I'm 90% certain that you have yourself an epiphyllum there. I have grown them from seed myself a few times, and they always start out looking like little spiny rocket ships!

Gayl
Julian, WV

March 18, 2001
9:07 PM

Post #59597

IndaShade I am so excited now knowing that I accidently have a orchid catus to grow. I will have to keep you and Karma_Happy_Toes in mind if I have any questions about it if you dont care.
I am so looking forward to watching it grow. Even tho it might take a long time for it to get as big as Karma_Happy_Toes has gotten. And yes please Karma_Happy_Toes post a picture of your mother plant. I would LOVE to see it. I know you must have been very excited when it gave you 15 blooms. Must have been thanking you for all the love and care you have given it the past 10 years. I am so exited now I could just do a little dance LOL
nicholtammy
Huntsville
Canada

July 2, 2010
2:47 PM

Post #7938552

Hope they are growing good after 3 years I can Identify some of the babies I started from seed I always mix potting mix with sand for drainage.
2QandLearn
Menifee, CA
(Zone 9a)

June 23, 2014
4:57 AM

Post #9875030

Gayl . . . Do you have a photo of your 'mystery cacti' that you could update us with?

When I saw that first picture it reminded me of my:

Christmas Cholla (Opuntia leptocaulis)
http://wc.pima.edu/Bfiero/tucsonecology/plants/cacti_chch.htm

OR, the Pencil Cholla mentioned in its description.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM
SOLVED: My unknown rose!! nicole_in_nc 30 May 4, 2010 4:30 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America