Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Mold on bulbs?

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 1, Views: 65
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bilbo

(Zone 6a)

March 17, 2001
1:42 AM

Post #2429

Ok, silly question! I have purchased very few bulbs over the years, but decided this year I was going to do a whole bed of various types of oriental and day lilies. I bought several batches a couple of weeks ago. I was checking them this evening and noticed some green mold on some of them. I opened the bags to let them air out a bit. They aren't soft and mushy; still firm and most are sprouting. It will be another couple of weeks before the ground is sufficiently warm to plant them (according to the directions). Any suggestions? Should I go ahead and plant them in pots, then transplant outdoors in a couple of weeks?

I KNEW I was getting ahead of myself, but I just can't resist the garden section of any store!!!!!!!!

Becky G.
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2001
10:01 PM

Post #59216

Lilies should be planted as soon as you aquire them. THey are hardy, and will make a nice root system in the cool ground. As long as the ground isn't frozen, and you can dig, plant them. They won't emerge before their appointed time, anyway. HOWEVER, if your ground is umimproved clay, and has poor drainage, it is unsuitable for them at any time and they will rot. You'll need to amend it first for better drainage, and pot them up in some homemade newspaper pots that are fairly deep and narrow in the meantime until you can work the ground to amend it.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America