Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Variegated BOP?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 8, Views: 101
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2002
12:16 PM

Post #21200

I bought this at K-Mart and all it said was "tropical plant". I thought it was a ginger when I bought it, but when I put it close to my other gingers, they leaves were all wrong and the stems have "joints" in them. Is it a variegated Bird of Paradise?

Thumbnail by Calalily
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JustJen
Gulfport, MS
(Zone 8a)

January 14, 2002
1:48 PM

Post #192769

i dont think the leaves are bop form. i could be wrong.
my first impression was some form of a calathea. all i know about it is that its a houseplant that is on my "easy to kill" list, lol
jen
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 14, 2002
1:56 PM

Post #192777

Jen, I have already killed the Chinese Evergreen that I got about the same time. It seems to be pretty tough, uses more water than the Chinese Evergreen, about the same amount as a variegated ginger that is the same size. It doesn't seem to mind being in the coolest corner of the green house and the 45* minimums haven't bothered it. Of course, the humidity is always high in there and that might help.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

January 15, 2002
6:21 AM

Post #193247

Now on the tropicals forum, I had mentioned I purchased this one..Calathea(Brazillian Snow)(that was the name on the label..Elaine
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

January 15, 2002
11:29 AM

Post #193275

This is Brazillian Snow?? Cool, I like it. Does anybody know how to propigate it? I have a couple of the stem clusters(?) rooting.
AngelSong
Victoria, TX
(Zone 9b)

January 15, 2002
8:55 PM

Post #193548

wahoo! I know this one! I got it from MzMunchken a while back, and when I asked for the name, she gave me this. I have used this same name to identify the plant on another forum, and it seemed to go without argument.

Ctenanthe lubbersiana

Enjoy! It is a member of the maranta family, and that's why MzM sent it to me. Maranta's are one of my favorite houseplants.
-Jennifer
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2002
12:30 AM

Post #193650

Found this information:
PROPAGATION: Division is the principle method used to increase these plants in the spring or summer. Old plants are removed from their pots and the soil is washed away from the roots. The rhizomes are cut through with a sharp knife and the cut surfaces are dipped in sulphur. Take care not to bruise them, because this could cause them to decay. Pot the pieces in pots just large enough to hold the roots without cramping them. After potting, they should be placed in a propagating case with bottom heat to assist the growth of roots in the new compost. Stem cuttings may also be used in the summer.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

January 16, 2002
1:08 AM

Post #193670

Brugie, could you use a leaf for propagation? Elaine
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

January 16, 2002
1:38 AM

Post #193679

Elaine, it is so cold here right now that I'd hate to try to get anything here alive in the mail. Later on, I'd sure like to give it a try. Thanks for asking. Just email me later when you have leaves to spare or are splitting yours and have to cut some leaves back. Thanks.

Shirley

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America