Cute mosaic birdhouses!

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I'm not a crafty person, really. But I thought these were cute: http://www.bhg.com/bhg/story.jhtml?storyid=/templatedata/bhg/story/data/16330.xml&categoryid=

(I'm even more than a little tempted to try my hand at making one for my garden!)

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Those are cute! My niece made me a cute one with just the roof done in mosaic. One thing to note ... any wood should be sealed well (inside & out) if you plan to use it outdoors. On mine the wood shrank as it aged causing some of the tiles to fall off.

Here's an even simpler project http://garfieldheights.net/feeders.html I just bought a piece of copper tubing to make a couple. I have plenty of teacups to use. I figured BONDO would be a solid and weather proof adhesive to put them together.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

poppy, how are you going to use the copper tubing, as the stand? what size diameter? those are fabulous and I can't believe they want $60 for them!! okay, they are really cute, but I can do that!

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

.....some tea cups and saucers are very expensive!! I have a large collection of them...and believe me I'm not gonna use any Limoges in the garden...lol...but Fiesta Ware would work nicely....Terry, I just love the Mosiac Birdhouses...thanks for posting!

"eyes"

eyes, you have Fiesta ware? The "real" ones? Ooooooooh. I have my great grandmother's collection (plates, salad plates, cups, saucers, serving dishes, glasses, etc.) And I wouldn't use any of THEM for a bird feeder, LOL!!!

But Sue's link is very cute too. I think there may be some new birdhouses and feeders in my spring garden.

Rapid City, SD(Zone 5b)

Very cool project Terry - the possibilities are endless - thanks for the link :)

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Terry and Sue, thanks for those great links. I plan to make the birdhouses and the cup and saucer feeders. I just have to wait till spring so I can buy cheap garage sale cups, saucers, and spoons for the feeder and plates and such to break for the mosaics. Sue, do you have any idea how to attach the rod to the cup and saucer? That is going to be the tricky part.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

wonder if clear silicone would work? I already have some and could save a bit if I used it. Just love the tea cup ideas, I have a few that aren't worth anything but are very pretty.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

I think they must sell some sort of end cap for those pipes. If not DH thought if I put some cuts at the end I could bend the cut sections outward to make a flat surface for the adhesive. It would be a star shape... and then glue the saucer to it.

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

I had even thought of mounting the cup and saucer on a thick board cut smaller than the saucer. Then the pipe might be able to be mounted in a drilled hole. Have no idea if that is possible. Just trying to think of something. Let us know if anyone actually does try and achieve success doing the project. Guess someone is just going to just have to buy one to see how it is done. LOL

Elena, I was thinking you could solder the tubing to a piece of flat metal (copper or otherwise) cut smaller than the bottom of the saucer. Then you'd have a nice large area to bond the saucer to.

Or, cut slits in the tubing and splay them out like petals. Take a small piece of thin plywood and cut a circle small enough to fit on the bottom area of the saucer (inside that ridge.) Attach the tubing to the plywood with very short (self-tapping maybe) screws. Then affix the saucer to the plywood "base". I would recommend sealing the plywood - sides and edges to avoid warping and shrinkage.

Just some ideas....

This message was edited Saturday, Jan 19th 5:29 PM

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

And....did you say that you aren't a crafty person? My goodness, I think you are underestimating your abilities, Girl. Why don't you experiment and let us know which method is best? LOL!!!!

Crossville, TN

Those are both darling! I'll come closer to making the cup and saucer...have some I can use.

Aleene's makes a glue that should work called "7800 All-purpose Adhesive"...it's waterproof, and glues wood, metal, glass, ceramics and lots of other stuff. As to attaching the saucer to the copper tubing: They have a tool called a Flange Tool...it runs around inside the copper tubing to flare it out. Also, the rings that are sized to fit around the tubing as it goes through the floor (to cover the drilled hole) could be glued to the flared end of the tubing first, then the saucer would fit in it very nicely to be glued in place. Jo

Middle, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Roadrunner. I can't make one until I can buy dishes at garage sales. I will have to wait for spring to come and then the sales will start. If you make one using that method let us all know how it work for you.

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 7th 8:16 PM

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

..........so Terry, ya gonna bring one to the round up???

"eyes"

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images