SOLVED: still unidentified

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Here's another pic of the mystery plant. It has gotten larger so I though maybe we should have another go at it. It seems to be sprawling like a ground cover now. I know it flowers as well although I can't remember the colour.

Thumbnail by Gwydion

Gwy

Thanks for posting it again. Are the leaves divided in any way other than the obvious lobes?

I'm going to have a quick crack at it which will most likely be wrong but just to get the ball rolling is it Cymbalaria muralis - Ivy leaved toadflax?

Here's a pic mainly of the leaves but they usually have little blue and white two lipped flowers like tiny snapdragons ... ring a bell?

http://www.logees.com/html_pages/Select%20Plants/Images/CYMBALARIA-MURALIS.gif

This message was edited Saturday, Jan 19th 7:12 PM

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I am almost positive you found it Baa! The flowers I don't remember other than that I loved them and the ones in the pic are exactly what I love. I surfed a few other sites and all the foliage pics look exactly like it. Unless I'm in for a surprise when this baby flowers, I would have to say that it is an Ivy Leafed Toadflax.
Thankyou very very much.

You're welcome Gwy :)

The weekend before Christmas I went to Winchester and found good sized clump of Cymbaaria still flowering in a stone wall. If it is Cymbalaria it will spread around quite fast but there are much worse weeds to have in the garden!

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I would also have said that! :) I just didn't remember the botanical name.. We call it kivikkokilkka. I like the purple one, I wish I'll get one this year..

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Evert, I can send you seeds in the fall if it is Cymbalaria. We will know for sure once it flowers. I have take cuttings from the one in the picture already so I can have 2 of them in the spring.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

We call it Kennelworth Ivy up here....it gets into all the containers I leave outside for the summer...actually, it is with purple flowers here and when, say, a half-oak-barrel is full of it around the edge..this is pretty!!!! self-seedin'-sun-of-a-gun!!!! Ramblin' Rose

Thanks Gwydion! :) Although, you don't have to I think I'll get a start here. But, I will know later then =)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Is that the same as ground Ivy, the pest plant we get sometimes in nursery containers that will take over an acre in a few years?

Do you mean Glechoma hederacea Cala? http://www.ct-botanical-society.org/galleries/thumbnails/tglechomahede.jpg

If so this plant has at least 12 common names in useage in England alone! One good thing about it is that it has edible leaves and was often used in beer making to clarify the brew hence the common name Alehoof.

Cymbalaria tends to grow in walls or other rocky dry places.

Baa. we call that one Hen-bit. I think it stinks and yes, it is everywhere here too and is beginning to bloom now. I will have to take a picture of the ground ivy. It has small blue blooms and spreads like crazy.

Cala

Sorry wrong pic! That pic was indeed Henbit Lamium amplexicaule

Did you mean this one? Which is the one I was talking about :)

http://www.ppws.vt.edu/scott/weed_id/glehe.htm

This message was edited Monday, Jan 28th 7:38 AM

YES!!! that is the pest!! Hate that stuff.

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

I don't think that is what I have though.. I'm pretty sure that mine is Cymbalaria. I hope it is anyway :)

calalily, I love Glechoma... My variegated one is dieing. :(

Gwy

No you seem to have Cymbalaria :)

Kitchener, ON(Zone 5A)

Thankyou Baa, thankyou Evert, thankyou 1601... It is indeed Cymbalaria. Bloomed today. It is beautiful!

Gwy

That's great news! :)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.