3/18/01

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Hi all! Beautiful day here in Louisiana. Still chilly. The iris' are all blooming. They are wild down here, growing on the sides the road in the folks ditches. Lots of outside work to do today. I was wondering if Dave would ban me from this site for about 2 hours or so, that way I could get things done. DG is going to be my downfall for the spring, I just know it! Ya'll have a great day. I gotta go round up a chicken. She just will not stay where she is supposed to. Lets see, will it be a gumbo chicken, stew,jambalaya???hummmm....Blessings, Lisa

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Patty, I'm so sorry to hear about those dogs. I hope you learn(if you don't already know)how to shoot a rife or shotgun. It sounds as tho you are going to need to take care of the dogs yourself-meaning the owner won't. We have been thru similar incidents in our community. Don't ever go outside without at least a .22 pistol in your hand. As your DH found out, dogs like this will attack. One attack our DS a few years ago when he tried to run them out of the rabbit yard. Those dogs ate the feet off several 1/2 grown rabbits thru 1/4" mesh wire cage floors.
DH took DGS outside a while ago to practice shooting the small guage shotgun. DGS is getting to be a fairly decent shot.
The sun is out and it seems to be warming up somewhat.
Have a wonderful day everyone.

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Wow! a beautiful day here in Mid-Mo. But I know Patty and EvaMae already know that.
Patty, talking about those bucket calves. I actually went thinking I would buy an older heifer, but didn't find anything to fit in my budget. I had a little over $400.00 to spend yesterday and don't seem to get an opportunity to buy very often. SSooo three bucket calves fit my budget. I know you are right about that milk replacer, it's expensive and you really need to weigh the money and effort that goes into it. Think I will get a milk cow one of these days. We went to the livestock auction in Marshall this Saturday. We took our sheep to Mexico (how I got my bottle calf money). We can take them there on Sunday evening, but we can't actually go to the auction and see them sell, because of our jobs. I have gone to the Columbia cattle auction on Wednesday over my lunch hour. Yep, I don't smell rosey when I go back to work.
We had trouble with a dog killing one of our ewes last Spring. We were sickened and heartbroken. This dog was the first thing my husband ever had to shoot. That bout killed him too, but it had to be done or they would be back for more. I doubt if I'm telling you something you don't already know.
Hubby and I are so sore from working today we can barely move. But as I told him we are a good tired. Not the kind of stress tired I feel when I come home from work.
Did I mention the daffodils are starting to bloom? whooppeeeee a sure sign of Spring.

This message was edited Sunday, Mar 18th 8:09 PM

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good evening. It is a fair day here, no sun, no rain, not much wind. I have just come back from a good horseback ride in the hills. Last time I was out there I saw over 100 deer in several groups, 30 here, 20 there, etc. Now most of them are in one large herd and when I spooked them they ran and joined another larger group. A couple of years ago I happened on this larger group they split up and went 3 directions. I counted each bunch as they went over ridges, over 200 total. This is out on bare rolling hills so I can see a long ways. There are still little groups of 3 to 25 or 30 who haven't joined the large herd. Seems like everywhere I looked I saw a few more deer. Also saw 2 dead coyotes, they died of lead impact. (Gunshot) The problems you describe with the dogs and their irresponsible owners are what farmers everywhere encounter. Yes, learn to shoot a gun, and get good with it, you will most likely have to take care of the dog problem yourself. Pellet guns aren't strong enough. Shoot to kill. A county extension agent told me once that if you are going to raise livestock you need 3 things: a gun, a shovel and a piece of tape. The gun to shoot the dog, the shovel to bury it, and the tape to put over your mouth so you don't tell the owner. Dog owners will deny their dog would ever do anything like molesting livestock, even when the dog is laying there dead with a mouthfull of sheep's wool. And some of them get real touchy about their dog being shot. I agree with Lisa, this place is just too much fun and I am going to have to get tough with myself and limit the time I spend here or I won't get anything else done. See you all tomorrow. Blessings.

Batchelor, LA(Zone 8b)

I take care of our stray dogs with a .22 rifle and hay string. String is used to drag them to the bayou where they become alligator feed.
Bud

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Brewers, KY(Zone 6b)

Patty, okay, stupid question, but what do you mean by nothing? Like blank nothing..or does your curser(sp) go in a pause mode?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images