Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Zi Zi Plant???

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

I was told this is called a Zi Zi or Zizi plant - a tropical that can grow to 20'. It has bulbous roots. That's all I know, just a pretty green shiny leafed plant. Anybody know anything more about it?

Thumbnail by Azalea
Antrim, Northern Ire, United Kingdom(Zone 8b)

they are everywhere over here at the moment from DIY stores, plant nurseries and garden centres. I was going to buy one but couldnt find enough info.

Mark

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

This one came from Home Depot, a very full pot which my DIL bought and divided with me. She lucked up and got it on sale for $2.00! Had no tag, so don't know any proper name for it.

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

This one came from Home Depot, a very full pot which my DIL bought and divided with me. She lucked up and got it on sale for $2.00! Had no tag, so don't know any proper name for it.

Mark - is your Ceres going to live??

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Azalea..I did some scouting about, in my reference books of hort.... and came up with the name Zizyphus , then there is Zizyphus Jujuba..the very same kind of defintion ..20-30' tall...look up zizyphus on the Web..good luck..Elaine

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I would say Zamioculas zamiifolia - http://www.plantasdecorativas.com/plantas_ingles/imagenes/zz.jpg

Very popular plant here in public places nowadays..

Jonesboro, GA(Zone 7b)

Evert - I'm sure you got it. It looks exactly like the plant you posted Zamiifolia. too bad no info with it. No sign of the woody stems of the Ziziphus. It has a soft tuber that can easily be cut or broken, no roots like a tree. I wonder if DH will mind if I knock a hole in the living room ceiling?? Thanks all.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

It definitely isn't Ziziphus jujuba. Zamioculas needs a moist soil I think.. we call it here vahasaniainen - Wax Fern...

Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a Jujube tree (Zizyphus jujuba) and it sprouts new trees from the roots, but the leaves are shiny and leaf placement on the babies is very different from yours. Not bulbous or tuberous where the roots are concerened, either. It does make a neat little fruit.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.