-
AuthorContent
lacemosaic
Hampton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 18, 2001
3:14 PM

Post #2505

Wasn't sure what forum to put this under. So, I'm putting it here and in Garden Talk. But...wondering if anyone has had any experience making the hypertufa pots. I have some instructions, but was hoping to find someone who has actually made some, and basically tell me what NOT to do!!
scryingcrow

March 18, 2001
11:19 PM

Post #59632

hi lacemosaic,how big of hypertufapot?they take about a month to cure properly any time I work in cement or with hypertufa I like to cover them in damp towels so as not to dry to fast,when you are going to put plants in them its best to take a hose and soak them really well as that helps to neutrelize the cement lime (I read that so I always do it) it's best to use a wire mesh in them for strength I goof around with cement etc all the time I made some bird baths and they are full all the time even the crows come down and bathe in them,you just need alot of trial and error as the humidity an heat and all that stuff comes in to play curing your work just start with some small pieces first and have fun with it I also add bits of broken china or glass and mirror let me know how it turns out!(do you have a recipe for hypertufa?)
lacemosaic
Hampton, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 20, 2001
9:58 PM

Post #60319

Thanks, SCRYINGCROW..thanks for all the advice...haven't made any yet,,just WANT to. I had thought about decorating them with found objects. I have LOTS of recipes for hypertufa..they're all similar but a little different. You sound like you have been doing this for quite a while. Do you have any pictures of them you could send? I have a friend who made a flower pot for me out of cement(not hypertufa). If you want me to, I will post it in the photos section. It's great,,,might give you some new ideas. It's gonna be a while til I make some,,,have so many other projects lined up first. The best site I've seen so far starts with http://www.efildoog... have you seen that one? Someone from New Zealand. If you have a recipe you have perfected or find works best for you, I'd love to see it. Thanks again.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2001
11:53 PM

Post #63002

Here's a couple of good links

http://www.backyardgardener.com/tufa.html

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/alpines/trough garden.htm

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America