-
AuthorContent
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
1:41 PM

Post #21732

i got these seed from my friend and she wasn't sure on the name she just liked the vine so i started some to see. they sprouted in 3 days. those are the seed included in the picture. any ideas or do i need to wait till it gets bigger?

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
3:10 PM

Post #197617

Looks like a bean ~ maybe pink-flowered Hyacinth Bean Vine? Did the seeds look like beans? Can you ask your friend if the flowers were in clusters and formed bean-looking seed pods? If so, I'll bet that's it.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
3:16 PM

Post #197619

Farmgirl,
It looks like hyacinth beans to me.. the veins is what makes me say that.. also the seeds..they will have purple pods..when they are small they are edible. Mine are white & purple.
Sugar_fl
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
3:28 PM

Post #197626

Wingnut U beat me *VBG* I'm sure what that is..here is what mine looked like in early summer. I should have taken one in the fall as it sure grew :)
http://community.webshots.com/storage/1/v0/8/55/37/16585537rRCYWExWSU_ph.jpg
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
3:49 PM

Post #197642

*VBG* Does that mean Very Bad Girl? Yep, I am one ~ just ate the last Thin Mint. If DH wants any more, he'll have to hunt down another Girl Scout. *grin*
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
4:00 PM

Post #197650

wingnut.. *VBG* I Thought was *very big grin* BUT in this case YES I think *very bad girl* fits quite well. OH WELL, I would have ate the last one too :)
Sugar_fl
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
4:29 PM

Post #197680

the seed is on the rim of the tray. she said that it was a pink flower cluster. edible would be nice lol. it seems to be a fast grower there is a size difference since yesterday when i took the picture. she also gave me a dark pink flowering vine that hasn't sprouted yet and a few shrubs that i'm waiting on, also pink. i will post when they come up.
is it girl scout cookie time again? oh boy i love those coconut cookies.

sugar_fl i can't open that hyperlink it says i'm not authorized.
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
4:33 PM

Post #197685

just looked it up in the database yes that is what the seed look like. it is a real pretty vine. thank you so much for identifying it so quickly. i am a happy girl. will be happier when i find that girlscout with my cookies lol.
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
5:00 PM

Post #197704

I think it is a hyacinth bean vine too. I just planted some seed 2 days ago, but mine are purple. Now I'm gonna be watching them like a hawk, hoping mine will come up that quick. I have no patience and those will be great for me, and I might plant more just for their energy and swiftness!!!

Thanks, Traci
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
5:01 PM

Post #197707

Farmgirl,
Here is a link I think will work. I don't know why the other didn't but it is in Webshots so maybe they stopped letting us use them outside.. It did work on mine. Opps My DH just tried on his puter & he got the same message :( Guess I need a new place to store pix.. any ideas?

http://www.swallowtailgardenseeds.com/vines/hyacinthbean.html
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
5:13 PM

Post #197714

Oh, DUH! I missed the seed on the tray edge, Farmgirl! That is DEFINITELY and WITHOUT a doubt Hyacinth Bean Vine, Dolichos lablab. DH and I are gonna' do some planting in the garden today ~ English peas, snow peas, sugar cane, glads, maybe transplant the comfrey. Might plant some purple HBV's I have, but I don't have many seeds and they grow so fast ~ they might be too big to cover come end of March and if we have a late freeze...

Sugar, does your ISP offer free webspace with your connection? A lot of them do ~ mine does. Ask and let me know. I'll give you some urls for free FTP (uploading) programs and tips.
farmgirl21
Hempstead, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
6:37 PM

Post #197743

traci would you like to trade some purple for some pink?
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

January 23, 2002
7:47 PM

Post #197786

wingnut,
Yes I have some web space with my server.. it isn't a lot & with a digital camera U can sure use a lot..My server changes quite a bit for more space..I tried to get in with Fortune City but Hot Mail messed me up..I have a FTP & know how to use it most places..

If U want to send me your address I'll be glad to send U more seeds.. I don't have many but can spare 1 or 2 offers.
Thanks for the kind offer of help.
Sugar_fl
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

January 23, 2002
11:45 PM

Post #197948

Oh, Sugar, you're so nice! I'd LOVE a few more seeds! I'll contact you via e-mail.

How much webspace does your ISP give you? I've got quite a few pics on mine and it's only 5MB. Then again, quite a few to me might be just a handful to someone else.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America