Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: barley straw question

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 34, Views: 462
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

February 2, 2002
12:51 AM

Post #22354

I am about to buy barley straw for my 6 month old pond. I have string algae on the 3 step waterfall, which I remove with a pond brush, and know I need to add a lot of plants when it is warmer. It is now very cold, about in the mid 30's. When is a good time to add the barley straw?
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 2, 2002
10:54 PM

Post #203996

I'm glad you asked this,,,I'm curious about it myself. "T" :)
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 2, 2002
11:55 PM

Post #204042

barley straw you can use all year. You just have to make sure that it is in a place where water can run through it. It's supposed to be really good for killing algae. I bought some last year and put in my pond. It was very small though and there wasn't really a place where I could put it where it was near water running through since I only had a small fountain pump. I've heard good things though.

Anyway, I have one small bail left for a pond. So if anyone wants it, I'd be happy to ship it if you want to pay the postage :o) I'll have to find it first...LOL
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 3, 2002
4:45 AM

Post #204200

Linden, I have a 3 step waterfall also and I plan on getting some Barley straw this year, But, Not untill spring when I get the pump for the falls going again and then I'll put the barley under the falls.
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2002
12:50 PM

Post #204322

flowox, I'll take it if you find it...just let me know. "T" :)
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2002
2:21 PM

Post #204350

will do sledder :o)
flowox
Newark, OH
(Zone 5a)

February 3, 2002
2:23 PM

Post #204352

pooh, I must have accidentally thrown it out when I was cleaning, I can't find it :o(
I know one of the nurseries here sells it though so if you can't find any let me know. I actually got mine on E-bay really cheap.

I'm sorry, now I feel bad that I don't have it anymore :o(
SLEDDER
Pittsburgh, PA
(Zone 6a)

February 3, 2002
9:05 PM

Post #204577

No biggie...don't worry about it. "T" :)
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

February 3, 2002
11:19 PM

Post #204694

You can add it to pond now but will take longer to break down and rot in winter than summer...I just added some to my pond about a month ago and am stiil waiting for it's effect to kill the algae...

I also heard you can place it in your filter if you have no running water into pond.
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

February 10, 2002
3:25 PM

Post #208735

Thank you to all of you for your help with Barley Straw. I have found a company that has Barley Straw and I have gotten alot of help from a lady named Diana at Hoffman Nursery. The e-mail address is hoffman.nursery@mindspring.com. The catalog she sent says they are updating their web site at http://www.hoffmannursery.com.
IRIS
Greenville, SC
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2002
5:51 AM

Post #209086

Linden, Here's a little more info on it ~ http://www.bestfish.com/barlybal.html

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 11, 2002
1:51 PM

Post #209192

linden, I checked out Hoffman Nursery and added them to the Garden Watchdog: http://gardenwatchdog.com/c/1717/

I didn't see where they sell supplies, but their selection of grasses and pond plants is terrific!
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

February 11, 2002
4:10 PM

Post #209278

To all of you, thanks again. I will let you know what happens and when it happens with the barley straw.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

February 18, 2002
12:01 AM

Post #213273

Update... My pond water is still green and barley (2 months in water) has not cleared the water BUT I am still hoping...

Cheers,
Rebecca
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

February 18, 2002
9:20 PM

Post #213820

To all of you who have added barley straw in the past few (winter) months. You will have to wait at least until the water warms up to see any effects on the string algae. Warm (50 to 60 degree water activates the straw.And then in 3-4 weeks the effects are put into play. So be patient and it will be a "good thing". I've been using it for 2 years now and it is wonderful.
Annabelle15
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

February 19, 2002
5:23 PM

Post #214350

Annabelle. Thanks. I ordered barley straw today.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2002
1:12 AM

Post #214583

I found them in Mellinger catalogue. Each bale is 7 1/2 x
4 1/4. Two bales $12.50 each and it will treat a 1000 gallon pond for a year. I haven't ordered yet but will wait now until the weater warms. This says it also provides natural food for the fish?????? Do they eat the barley?

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 20, 2002
1:49 AM

Post #214602

I have no idea how accurate this is, but somewhere I read that farm supply stores typically carry BIG bales of barley straw as feed straw, and it's way cheaper than buying from a water garden supply company. Does anybody know if that's true? If it is true, it might be worth it if several of us did a co-op of sorts - somebody buy the bale, and divide it up and ship it - it's so lightweight shipping even a good-size box would be nominal. $6 for one of those little bales seems high, but then again, I have been accused of squeaking when I walk :)
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

February 20, 2002
6:59 PM

Post #214934

I just ordered from Natural Solutions in Keuka Park, NY, ww.linkny.com/barleystraw. They sell 4 oz. (treats 200-800 gal.) and 8 oz. (treats 800-1200 gal.) It comes in mesh bags. A bale 'n bundle is 23-30 lbs. and is $9.00. Shipping to Idaho was $4.95.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 1, 2002
11:24 PM

Post #220338

I have been trying to find someone in my area who grows barley,but still looking.I did read somewhere that regular straw works but you need more of it.But the barley straw reportedly works the best.The string algea is bad in my pond right now.WITH ICE on the pond its growing!!!
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

March 3, 2002
4:05 AM

Post #220923

Hi Crestedchik, Me too: ice and gobs of string algae. I got a catalog Friday in the mail from Lilypons Water Gardens; sort of in your area: Buckeystown, Maryland. Are you familiar with their catalog? They have a cute barley straw planter that serves two funtions: planting and clarifying and "is a cozy nest for a bog plant." We, as first time pond folks, ordered from Lilypons last summer and I was very satisfied with the plants and snails. Do you have lots of just plain algae in your pond, too? What do you do about that?

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 3, 2002
11:41 AM

Post #220967

No,my water is crysal clear most of the time,I have a 55 gallon barrel filter ,but I'm convinced its the water fall and stream bed that keep the water so clear.(Along with the lilies)I don't have any real problems except for the string algea
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

March 4, 2002
4:07 PM

Post #221567

Do you have algae (not string algae) growing on the rocks and the bottom of the pond? My water is crystal clear, too, but lots of tiny algae on the bottom. I know I need more snails and fish.
Sis

March 5, 2002
10:22 AM

Post #221901

Thought I'd jump in(pun intended,lol)and contribute something that may help with some of your dilemas or situations' At present,we do not have a pond but have done extensive research on the subject' Naturally being an Aquarian(born under the right sign,lol)I've always been fascinated(sp)with water. Perhaps here you may find something interesting and informative for use now or in the future' http://www.watergardening.com/

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 5th 8:26 AM
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

March 8, 2002
12:00 AM

Post #223297

Sis, The magazine is very helpful. In fact, the best I've seen. Thanks. Hey, keep the info coming.
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2002
12:46 AM

Post #223859

There is something "NEW" on the market... Extract of Barley Straw. I saw it in lilypons catalog and it is on their website. Suppose to have the same effect, but it is on the expensive side. $41.00 to $29.00 for a container. Should be interesting to see how good it works.
linden
Lewiston, ID
(Zone 5b)

March 9, 2002
4:07 AM

Post #223940

Has anyone out there tried extract of barley straw?
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2002
12:18 PM

Post #224015

It's phosphorus that makes the string algae grow. You need a product to remove it. There is one on the market, not too expensive, won't hurt fish or plants. I will have to look up the name. It's phos-gone or something like that. You also can lower the pH to around 6.8 and it should kill it. Apple Cider(NOT the white) vinegar is excellent for lowering the pH the natural, easy way. Lower it slowly so you don't hurt the fish.

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 10, 2002
12:01 PM

Post #224477

Will it pickle my fish calla?The sting algea is so bad in my pond right now .If it wasn't so cold I'd be in there scrapping, but the last of the ice just came off Friday ,and I'm sure its not the last time it will freeze.It was in the 60's yesterday and today its 20's
Sis

March 10, 2002
2:39 PM

Post #224539

That's true Cala' I've also read that hydrogen peroxide is what some "ponders" use to help control algae.
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 10, 2002
3:07 PM

Post #224556

CC, it shouldn't "pickle" them, just don't get too carried away and try to lower it too fast.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

March 28, 2002
12:32 AM

Post #233473

Update! Barley straw is not working and my water temps have been in the 60's...

Anybody else?

I saw on another garden site about making a bog garden above the pond and putting pea gravel in it to catch all the gunk and avoiding the pea green water(he says his water has been clear for 5 years and only cleans out bog garden once a year)...I am going to try this!
annabelle15
Niles, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 28, 2002
8:36 PM

Post #233849

Ima, How long has the barley straw been in the water????????? It can take 3-6 weeks until it starts working.Be patient and you will have clear water.
If you can't wait, there is a new product called Algae Fix. you can get it at http://www.pondcare.com. I use it to start in the spring right along with the barley straw
annabelle

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

April 3, 2002
2:34 AM

Post #236251

We're planning to create a bog garden above our big pond, too. In fact, I think there's a thread somewhere around here with a photo of one that a member had designed and built. Pretty neat.
purpleice
Bridgman, MI
(Zone 5a)

April 4, 2002
1:02 AM

Post #236749

I clean my filter out as often as possible and add pond shade even in winter. My watergarden is only 150 gallons of water and about 2 yrs. old but my water is crystal clear and just last week I put in about a third of a tiny bale of barley straw which I purchased from Mellingers. I only have one itst-bitsy waterfall but I installed the straw just below it so it would have water running through it.

Mellingers told me to wait about 4 weeks to see if the straw works. About a year ago my water garden was so dense you couldn't see the bottom ( or the fish ). My stepson who installed it said small watergardens are a pain to keep clean because of the small pump.

So we emptied the whole thing, put our Koi and Goldfish through the agonizing ordeal of seize and capture, ( it hurt me alot more then them ). We cleaned the pond out so pretty that the fish didn't recognize it.

This water garden is as clean as I like it and I'll not use anything that may hurt my fish. I think that barley straw deserves a chance to prove that it works. Besides, my fish seem fascinated by it.

By the way, my fish seem to love grapefruit but snubbed there nose at red leaf lettuce, but God help any bug or styrofoam that falls in.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America