Photo by Melody

Water Gardens: What to do with the fish?

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 7, Views: 306
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 20, 2001
7:37 PM

Post #2609

I will be digging my pond deeper in a month or 2. Anyone have any good info on how to move the fish with the least amount of stress to them? The fish are small (8 of them), 4-6 inches in length. What to keep them in, etc. Thanks for any information.

This message was edited Tuesday, Mar 20th 3:39 PM
Janice

(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2001
1:16 AM

Post #60394

When I did some work on my pond I filled a baby pool with the pond water and placed some of the plants in it and placed the fish inside.
They seemed happy enough.
Hope this helps some.
Janice
AJC

March 21, 2001
11:01 AM

Post #60480

Hello Lorie, janice's idea is good, if its hot when you do it, make sure you put in the shade, and cover it up, because those pools get very warm, and the fish will jump out, if it going to take a few days, use something to take out the water in the pool, than poor it back hard into water, to make as many bubbles as possible, this will keep the water well oxygenated, warm water does not hold much of that, it may be nesessary to do that a couple of times a day, good luck.

Alan.
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 21, 2001
1:43 PM

Post #60535

Would an aquarium airstone help with the oxygenation in the water temporarily? It should be easy to set that up if for only a day or two.
Another question comes to mind, how do I acclimate the fish to the "new" pond water ?
AJC

March 21, 2001
10:10 PM

Post #60611

Lorie, Yes it would, i use one myself when the need comes, the easy way to acclimatise fish is in a polythene bag, half filled with water, tie a knot in the top and float it on the top of the new pond for about 20-30 minutes, dont stuff the bag full of fish, they need a little room to move, so if nesessary use two or three bags, the water that you are going to put in the bag would benifit a minute or so with the air stone in it before you add the fish, after they have floated on the new pond, cut open the bag a gently tip in the fish, job done, i hope this is of use to you.

Alan.

Alan.
Lorie
Muncy, PA
(Zone 5a)

March 22, 2001
2:50 AM

Post #60696

Alan,
Thank you for the wonderful information. Can't wait to put it into practice.
TerryN68
Crofton, MD
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
11:20 AM

Post #60746

I would also use a test kit to measure PH. Try and get the PH the same in the new pond and the swimming pool. You could also add water from the pond to the pool just before the transplant. This should help achieve a closer temperature match.

T

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America