Buried container gardening

(Zone 7a)

I saw these pots in a magazine where you plant flowers in a pot and then you place it inside a slightly larger pot that you have buried in the ground. Since its underground it would seem that it wont dry out as much. Sounds like a good idea to me. I am constantly digging things up and putting them someplace else. I could change my flowers everyday if I want!! Thinking about doing this with pots I already have.
Has anybody ever done this?
Janice

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Its a great idea Janice and yes, I have done it with tomatoes but I remove the bottom of the pot so that the roots go way down. I have sunk pots of perennials in the ground until I was ready to plant them.

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

Interesting concept, might just have to try it!

Bloomingdale, NJ(Zone 6a)

I tried this last year with my mint plants since i have a small herb garden and was told these can become very invasive-so far it seems to be working- they are growing well and so far seem to be keeping in check! Never had any problem with them drying out. Was thinking about trying my non-hardy bulbs this way since everytime i plant them in the garden I forget where i put them and forget to dig them up in the fall. Thought this might be a good way of keeping track and an easy way of digging them up for the winter-anybody have any ideas?

Palmyra, VA(Zone 7a)

I cut the bottoms out before planting the plastic containers too. My passion vines seem to like it.

Port Huron, MI(Zone 5b)

Tim,
Cutting the bottom out sounds like a really good idea to help control real invasive plants

Lyndeborough, NH

Jerry Baker has been suggesting this for many years.
15 maybe 20.

He didn't do a pot within a pot. but the concept of keeping the roots cooler and they won't dry out as fast.

And being able to move them if he didn't like color scheme

Byron

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.