Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Garden Talk: Buried container gardening

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 6, Views: 152
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Janice

(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2001
9:57 PM

Post #2614

I saw these pots in a magazine where you plant flowers in a pot and then you place it inside a slightly larger pot that you have buried in the ground. Since its underground it would seem that it wont dry out as much. Sounds like a good idea to me. I am constantly digging things up and putting them someplace else. I could change my flowers everyday if I want!! Thinking about doing this with pots I already have.
Has anybody ever done this?
Janice
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 20, 2001
10:09 PM

Post #60324

Its a great idea Janice and yes, I have done it with tomatoes but I remove the bottom of the pot so that the roots go way down. I have sunk pots of perennials in the ground until I was ready to plant them.
pebble
Bodrum
Turkey
(Zone 10a)

March 21, 2001
3:03 AM

Post #60450

Interesting concept, might just have to try it!
kat7
Bloomingdale, NJ
(Zone 6a)

March 21, 2001
12:39 PM

Post #60509

I tried this last year with my mint plants since i have a small herb garden and was told these can become very invasive-so far it seems to be working- they are growing well and so far seem to be keeping in check! Never had any problem with them drying out. Was thinking about trying my non-hardy bulbs this way since everytime i plant them in the garden I forget where i put them and forget to dig them up in the fall. Thought this might be a good way of keeping track and an easy way of digging them up for the winter-anybody have any ideas?
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 21, 2001
2:25 PM

Post #60554

I cut the bottoms out before planting the plastic containers too. My passion vines seem to like it.
SDoglover1512
Port Huron, MI
(Zone 5b)

March 22, 2001
5:08 AM

Post #60724

Tim,
Cutting the bottom out sounds like a really good idea to help control real invasive plants
Byron
Lyndeborough, NH

March 22, 2001
8:09 PM

Post #60911

Jerry Baker has been suggesting this for many years.
15 maybe 20.

He didn't do a pot within a pot. but the concept of keeping the roots cooler and they won't dry out as fast.

And being able to move them if he didn't like color scheme

Byron

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America