AuthorContent
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 5, 2002
10:34 PM

Post #22594

Tonny, you had a question earlier about breeding records.
I made and keep such records on almost every hybrid I know. I think it is important to know the parents and if possible, grandparents also when you want to breed successful.
Heredity follows a special pattern with the exception of a spontaneous mutation. If the last one does occurs thats what makes breeding so exciting.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2002
4:48 PM

Post #206574

The real Rosa Kornett is a garden form and a hybrid too.
The plants available now under the name Rosa Kornett are a mixup of Hybrids just as Goldenes Kornett is. You will receive a Rosa Kornett or maybe HG - 127 from some suppliers when you order Rothkirch as they do not know what the real Rothkirch looks like.

I will back cross Rothkirch descendants to their mother to see, if it is possible to receive a plant with almost the same genetics as the original plant. At the moment this seems to be the only chance, to get this valuable plant free of Virus as all efforts through meristem have failed so far.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2002
5:05 PM

Post #206585

After Mrs. Neu passed away, Madame Blin and myself continued
in working together. Mme Blin had seedlings out of my crosses and I had some of hers. There has never been the question about who is the breeder. She never claimed or named my hybrids nor did I. We respected each other and still do so.

Mrs. Neus Grazie was named by mistake as Kurpark Bad Salzschlirf. I have a sprout mutation with variegated leaves
from this plant and named it Grazie variegata to honor Mrs. Neu, so original name will not be lost or forgotten.

Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 6, 2002
9:05 PM

Post #206730

Monika,
I have to say that is a most honorable. I can only say this much. I am honored to be able to grow any of your seeds and they will be the first batch that I grow up and watch each and every one flower as I have seen so many of your wonderful hybrids I don't think when it flowers should have any bearing on anything so beautiful. If my own hybrids were anywhere near as astounding as yours then perhaps I would not be so focused on early bloomers. Though, one might think that if I let more than a few bloom from each cross I might get lucky and get something as beautiful as you. Still, that may still be just wishful thinking. I am grateful for the opportunity to grow any of your seeds as I think anyone here should be. I will post pictures of each and everyone as they come up and as they bloom. I fully intend to use your hybrids seedlings in my hybridizing program. Here's hoping.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2002
10:28 PM

Post #206780

I am very curious what flowers these hybrids will have.
It is still exciting. At the moment I have nearly 250 seedlings out of flore plena Carmencita (flore plena Charleston x aurea Rothkirch) x Ecuador Pink, flore plena Rosa Zauber (Pink Magic)( aurea Rothkirch x flore plena Charleston) x Ecuador Pink, flore plena Fandango (flore plena Charleston x Luminosa) x versicolor Apricot Queen and can hardly await to see them bloom sometimes in the summer. This will give me sleepless nights again.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 6, 2002
10:29 PM

Post #206782

it's nice to hear that even as many blooms as you've seen, you still get excited!! I can't sleep waiting for seeds to sprout, when I have buds, I'm a madwoman!!
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

February 6, 2002
10:34 PM

Post #206784

Monika, will give me sleepless nights too! thank you so much for sharing your passion with us, as we are brug nuts too, and don't have access to all those beautiful brugs you have and have hybridized!
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 6, 2002
10:39 PM

Post #206788

I will help you as much as I can. You all are able to breed such hybrids. It has been a long way to reach the point I am now. I learned by own mistakes. I have raised many seedlings only to throw them away after seeing the first flower.
FrannieK
Angleton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2002
1:11 AM

Post #206865

Monika,
I will be anxious to see how beautiful your 250 little seedlings turn out. We will all be waiting for pictures this summer.

Frannie
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
1:17 AM

Post #206870

Crazzy myself with Brugmansia fever. Dreaming of Rothkirch x Butterfly, Rothkirch x Rosabelle, Rothkirck x Lamour...and so many more...Of course Culebra x Rothkirch, Culebra x Butterfly, Culebra x Rosabelle, Culebra x arborea...Arborea x Rothkirch...I think I can, I think I can...oh please let it be...
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
1:50 AM

Post #206887

Eric,
NativeHabitat is supposed to have Rothkirch this summer!!!
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2002
7:33 AM

Post #206960

Dont cross Rosabelle or Butterfly with Rothkirch unless you want a a similar plant as Rothkirch. Parents of Rosabelle, Butterfly etc are Rothkirch x B. x candida Ocre. I avoid to accumulate to much aurea in a hybrid. The flowers will become smaller and the growth stronger.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
11:11 AM

Post #206978

monika, you probably just encouraged Eric!! That's what he likes, smaller flowers:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
11:50 AM

Post #206993

Tig,
Yes, Native Habitat has had Rothkirch for a quite some time now. I didn't know they were ready to release this one yet though. Thanks for that information.
Monika and Tig,
And as always, yes I do prefer the smaller flowers with stronger growth. This is very encouraging. I would like to cross these to some yellow aurea types though as well for some petite peaches. What I would really enjoy...a very petite dark pink-red double with culebra like leaves. Of course I must confess I like flowers that open up with a flare the way suaveolens hybrids do as well. Short calyx...
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2002
12:45 PM

Post #207010

have several small flowered Brugs. Duftglöckchen single with a very slow growth but covered with flowers, Schneeflöckchen single with odd leaves, Doppelkornett double flower, 12cm cream to apricot, Baby Bolero double, compact growth, apricot tinged, Alicia, candida pink flowers, slow grower. You have to get used to them. I prefer larger flowers.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
1:44 PM

Post #207026

Okay, here goes...Very velvety leaves that glisten as the morning dew is lit up by the first rays of the sun, serrated of course and very narrow. Dark double petite pink-red flowering profusely so as to cover almost all green. Seedpod shape desired to be round and flower size no longer than 5 inches...mouth should open up to be 5 inches wide as well and roll back with 3 inch long tendrils that twirl tightly in a clockwise manner. Must be a vigourous grower and good repeat bloomer. If one could throw in an impossible cross to an arborea in that mix or have varigated foliage in that same hybrid then of course that in itself would be my perfect Brugmansia...Asking too much? Okay, make mine half arborea...lol. Seriously, do you have something like this that you have hybridized already as you have released to the public such beautiful hybrids already. Please, if you could spare even a few seeds from a hybrid such as this I would toss all my seeds away. I know you must have something close, but then you are attracted to those large flowers...egads. Thanks so much for allowing us to use some of your hybrids in the mean time from seed.

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 7th 10:24 AM
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
1:57 PM

Post #207032

hey Eric, I want on your list for that one!!! wouldn't that be beautiful??
Glory
Biloxi, MS
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2002
1:59 PM

Post #207034

Brugman,
sounds good to me...I'd like a cutting when you get a plant... noticed I said when and not if. :0)
snowhermit
Woodsville, NH
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2002
2:10 PM

Post #207045

That will be stunning.And just think, it WILL be more than a dream before you know it. :)
tiG, Hope you're feeling better from that virus.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
2:55 PM

Post #207068

thanks snow, still feverish and coughing my head off. Trying to tend to plants and move some to still another room I've confiscated.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
2:57 PM

Post #207070

You had better get better here soon Tig. One can never have enough seeds or rooms to put them in.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
3:23 PM

Post #207083

I heard that!! LOL:) DH is wondering how I'm going to start all the 'regular' seeds, you know, tomatoes, peppers, other flowers.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2002
3:43 PM

Post #207090

I hoped to obtain someday the perfect Brugmansia. But I am still not satisfied; As soon as the seed germinates, I would like to see a note attached, telling me double or single, white or colored and and and...
But no favors, they refuse to tell me whatever will be...!lol

I have several seed pods to ripe out. The Rosa Zauber (double pink) x Ecuador Pink is the most important cross as Rosa Zauber needs improvement. But I have many more seedlings, all bred for double flowers and of course: in pink. They should bloom this year. Another cross is Ecuador Pink x aurea Rothkirch. The plants are already taller as I am.

There are also young plants bred for double flowers in orange and apricot. Mother plant is Fandango and there is a seed pod on Fandango x Apricot Queen.

I have seed pods on Rosalie x Ecuador Pink. My expectations are high. During winter I study my genealogical charts, compare the offspring of plants before I make the breeding plan ready. My hybrids are the result of planned breeding.

snowhermit
Woodsville, NH
(Zone 4a)

February 7, 2002
4:01 PM

Post #207101

Monika, All of your hard work shows in the beauty of the flowers that you have produced. I can't get enough of looking at the pictures of your plants. The care that you put into hybridizing shows in the breathtaking beauty of the flowers.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

February 7, 2002
4:11 PM

Post #207108

monika, you're funny! I'd love to see that little note come out too:)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
4:21 PM

Post #207117

I take it you like Ecuador pink. Is that because it throws out a particular trait you like and if so which traits do you find you like the best from that hybrid. Rothkirch x Ecuador pink sounds like a dark pink in the midst perhaps? Please, any pointers on creating a double pink aurea or double pink suaveolens? And yes, I agee it would be nice if each of the colored seeds came out and said pick me. Of course if they said hey I am a double or a double pink that would be nice too.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
4:21 PM

Post #207118

I take it you like Ecuador pink. Is that because it throws out a particular trait you like and if so which traits do you find you like the best from that hybrid. Rothkirch x Ecuador pink sounds like a dark pink in the midst perhaps? Please, any pointers on creating a double pink aurea or double pink suaveolens? And yes, I agee it would be nice if each of the colored seeds came out and said pick me. Of course if they said hey I am a double or a double pink that would be nice too.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2002
4:34 PM

Post #207127

Brugman, let's not ask Monika to give away all her trade secrets in the first week. LOL

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2002
4:36 PM

Post #207130

Yeah,we'll wait till next week(just kidin)
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
5:53 PM

Post #207167

Crazzy,
Well I must admit I like Ecuador pink as she seems to throw out more colors than some of the other hybrids. Of course as Monika has many more secrets then we could ever possibly wish to know or retain...yes of course I want to know them all! 0nly time and hard effort can produce the hybrids she has created and anyone would be lucky to recieve any seeds from her.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 7, 2002
8:05 PM

Post #207247

I like Ecuador Pink. Its not a sraight versicolor but more a candida. You can see that aurea parentage on the form of the flower and the long tips (Zipfel). She does not only brings the color but also the needed trait for doubles.

White dominates in Brugmansia over all other colors. The early flore plenas are all white. Their genetic background is unknown. We dont know if both parents were whites or if a peach colored versicolor was one parent. You will not know unless you use these plants for breeding. I use flore plena Charleston as main breeding plant. All of my double hybrids are Charleston kids. The father plant must be choosen carefully. If there is a white parent on his side, you will receive only white flowers.

My next generation comes out of Carmencita, a rich blooming cream colored double fl. Charleston x Rothkirch - daughter. The father plant is Ecuador Pink. She brings not only the needed color but also the trait to keep double offspring coming. It will take some years to the wanted result.

Rosa Zauber is more a aurea hybrid as a candida. Since the flower is pink double, Ecuador Pink will make the trait double and pink even stronger. It will be an improvment I am sure.

I could make a cross this year and send the seeds next year to you with the guarantee of a double pink. How about that? You all might sit in jail because of neglect of the import rules and the goverment inspector has his joy with double pinks!!!!!!!
joydie1
Hamilton
Canada

February 7, 2002
8:16 PM

Post #207254

Monika,
You have a sense of humour, I like that. I'm on the list next year for the double pink cross seeds that you will attempt this year.

I can hardly keep up with all the information you are giving us about hybridization. I'll bet that some great new crosses will come out of North America from now on with the information you have provided!
Joydie
FrannieK
Angleton, TX
(Zone 9a)

February 7, 2002
8:23 PM

Post #207263

Monika your information is so fascinating. I agree with Joydie - your information has been a valuable asset to all of us.
Frannie
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2002
8:56 PM

Post #207282

Brugman, you got your answer.

Monika, you are so wonderful to share this information with all of us. I can't believe how lucky we are to have you here. Now I know which crosses I will try and make. Might take a few years or more but what could be more pleasurable.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 7, 2002
11:25 PM

Post #207361

Are you saying that a Dr.Sues x Ecuador pink X(Dr.Sues x Ecuador pink could give doubles and more importantly doubles in color? Or am I seriously missing something?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 7, 2002
11:38 PM

Post #207366

Brugman, I think she is saying that when crossing with Charleston x Ecuador Pink, you are more likely to get a pink double than white double. The traits of EP will keep the pink colour, not reverting to white which is dominant in doubles and a lot of other crosses. That is my interpretation.
sharbot
Altamonte Springs, FL
(Zone 9a)

February 8, 2002
12:27 AM

Post #207391

I just finished reading all the posts on this thread...this is so exciting...Monika, thanks for sharing so much with us...we will all be picking your brain!! I can't wait to start crossing my own...hopefully this year...meanwhile, I will be attending classes here at BRUG UNIVERSITY.

Suzy
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
8:35 AM

Post #207515

Dr. Sues? does it look like CG?

You have to start with a double as Mother plant, otherwise it will not work. To continue you must use the doubles resulting out of the cross. Or you have to go the classic way, breed a single B. aurea to a single versicolor (both parents must be pure, no mix with other species) and hope to get a double. The short cut would be; start with a double your breeding program.

The starter plant of all doubles was flore plena Tutu. But she is very prone to virus. I have a double from a breeder friend; Velvet Lady. But the best is flore plena Charleston.

You are right brugcrazy. Charleston x Ecuador Pink is not proven yet to bring double pink, I had only very few
seedlings, I have to repeat it. But the cross of Charleston with another hybrid did bring double pinks, but they are not approved yet.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 8, 2002
2:45 PM

Post #207642

Dr.Sues is an aurea x suaveolens x versicolor hybrid...sorry, I don't know which hybrids were used. It looks very similar to CG and if I had a CG I would tell you how similar. I no longer have either one though as I am done with Dr.Sues for a while and will acquire it again if I decide to hybridize with it again. I can tell you that I do like the fragrance of the Dr.Sues and it was a good seed setter. My Amber Rose and Dr.D were both created from Dr.Sues with Ecuador pink as the pollen donor. If I am understanding you correctly though my Amber Rose will never be able to create a Double pink by merely crossing to a pink aurea which leads me to my next question...where does one find a pure pink aurea and a pure pink versicolor? I would not mind crossing the two together if I knew even one seed in 1000 would create a double pink for sure. When is a hybrid considered pure? How many times must a hybrid which is aurea x suaveolens x versicolor x( Ecuador pink) be crossed to a versicolor before it is considered pure enough to create a double when crossed to a pure aurea or is it never pure? Sorry, but you have me genuinely amazed with your depth of knowledge and I am eager to learn. It is a bit disappointing though as I would like to cross my Amber Rose to an aurea and eventually make her into a double pink or peach... I am wanting to use Butterfly, Rosabelle, and Rothkirch to create a double pink. As Butterfly and Rosabelle are not pure aurea's what are the chances of creating a double with them if any with simply crossing them to Ecuador pink...If I am understanding you correctly there is no chance. Crossing Butterfly or Rosabelle to a double though...is that worth while. I am raising my first crosses to Candida species as we speak and I don't expect any blooms until this fall from this cross and perhaps later. Ohh, how I would like be able to peek into your mind for just a few moments...that combined with years of effort and determination and I would have a beautiful double pink I am sure. Of course by then you will have that perfect Brugmansia you are after and we will still all be light years behind you.

This message was edited Friday, Feb 8th 11:00 AM

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
3:49 PM

Post #207694

Would the double peach versicolor(fron Native Habitat) crossed with Ecuador Pink be the combination?Or is that just too easy? Sorry,I forgot,then cross those seedlings to butterfly?

This message was edited Friday, Feb 8th 11:51 AM
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

February 8, 2002
6:12 PM

Post #207780

CC, gonna start you some babies rooting this weekend...

crestedchik

crestedchik
Cicero, NY
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
6:19 PM

Post #207784

I love you Arlene!!!I smell doubles!!!!!
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 8, 2002
6:28 PM

Post #207787

I believe peach versicolor may not be the best one to use for a pollen bearer if you want one in color...I maybe wrong, but I would use the Ecuador pink, Dr.D, or Amber Rose depending on whether you wanted peachs or pinks. Perhaps Monika will step in though and give a bit more guidance. I say this as Dr.D and Amber Rose are created from hybrids that were both in color. On the other hand I have heard that peach versicolor throws out white seedlings. I have not hybridized with this hybrid so perhaps Kyle or someone else who has will step forward.

This message was edited Friday, Feb 8th 3:04 PM
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
7:29 PM

Post #207809

I will try to answer all your questions. Only in a cross between aurea x versicolor can be plants with double flowers but there is no guarantee. For this reason I recommend to use a already available double instaed trying to breed one. The pollen bearer should have the wanted color. If you are lucky there might be colored singles and doubles in that batch, if not, pick out the doubles and cross them again with a pink pollen bearer.
I have two own double strains. One lineage carries only Pink, the other only Orange. I use these strains now to improve the colored doubles. That might be larger flowers; more flowers, longer lasting flowers and and and... Any good double is good for the start. Make a cross with EP, pick out the doubles and breed them back to EP. You can use Amber Rose as a Pollen bearer but the mother plant must be a double. Pick the doubles out of this cross and breed them again to EP. This is the breeding pattern I would follow. - The B. suaveolens genes seem to be stronger as those of versicolor. It is not easy to 'hit' the hidden
versicolor - genes in a multihybrid. Using Rosabelle or Butterfly will be successful in obtaining doubles, either aureas or candidas, when the motherplant is a double. When using the peach colored double, you might get color. Butterfly and Rosabelle are Rothkirch x B. x candida Ocre kids. - I have one!! seedling from last year. The mother plant was S1, a crippled double (flore plena Tiara x Rosamond), the pollen bearer Rosabelle. The seedling will bloom this year and I am anxious to see whats coming . I think you will have a good start with the peach double.
Brugmansia
FSH, TX

February 8, 2002
8:04 PM

Post #207826

So, in a word, Candida species x Frosty pink would not create a double pink easily as it has too much suaveolens in its genes.
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

February 8, 2002
8:19 PM

Post #207829

Brugman, Take your candida species x ecaudor pink to start, then pick out the double seedlings ( plants when they bloom) and cross those back again to ecuador pink. That should give you the basic double pink. Then cross it to Rothkirch or Butterfly or Rosabelle to improve on the colour/ appearance. Have I understood this correctly, Monika?
arlene
Newberry, FL
(Zone 8B)

February 8, 2002
9:51 PM

Post #207866

Our Pink Lady, CC has donated doubles to brugman...double peach and creamsickle which i would love to see pics of! he will be getting this plants in a couple of weeks at least by March 1 when the growing season should really start. John Travolta and pink ladies, boy am i excited!

Monica you are a dream, so happy you are here!!!!!
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
10:08 PM

Post #207875

candida x Frosty Pink will not produce doubles nor candida species with EP. - Yes crazy, this is correct. You have to make the base first. But if you have a chance to obtain a good candida flore plena from somebody, cross her with EP. Remember the double must always be the mother plant. Maybe you are lucky a have a double pink in the first batch. If not proceed as described above.
joydie1
Hamilton
Canada

February 8, 2002
10:10 PM

Post #207876

Monika,
I'm following these crosses very closely and making notes. If I am correct and wanted to try for a pink variegata double, I would start with a variegata and then cross with the color that I want. Sow those seeds and pick out only the variegated seedlings to continue. Cross the variegated plants with a pink pollen donor again.

If I wanted a double variegated I would do essenstially the same thing except use the double as the pollen donor. Do I understand you correctly?

If I wanted a shredded variegated the same would apply, right?

Joydie
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
10:43 PM

Post #207890

the mother plant (the one that delievers the seed pods) must always be a double. The father plant ( delievers the pollen for pollination) does not have to be double but should be a) aurea or aurea Multihybrid, candida or versicolor. The mother plant (delievers the seed pods) is always named first ( flore plena candida Charleston x Ecuador Pink.) This is important to know.
Seeds of variegated plants seldom produce variegated offspring. Variegation is caused by )Mutation or ) a mikro-organism, sometimes a Virus.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

February 8, 2002
10:54 PM

Post #207900

So Monika... you think the best double to work with is Charleston? Anyone know where we can get that one? I think I've only seen it on the foriegn sites.
snowhermit
Woodsville, NH
(Zone 4a)

February 9, 2002
12:00 AM

Post #207962

poppysue, I had it on my want list but after the Phyto news I threw my list away. My brain is on LOA and I can't remember who sold it.
joydie1
Hamilton
Canada

February 9, 2002
12:02 AM

Post #207963

Monika,
Thank you for the information. I have that in my notes now. I'm so greatful that you are as kind as to share your knowledge so freely with the group.

Joydie
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

February 9, 2002
7:41 PM

Post #208339

Its loaded under: Ch. x L'A seedling
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 8, 2002
11:02 PM

Post #322515

I'm bringing this back up because although long, it is one of the very best threads we've ever had on this forum. So much to learn, so little time.
Monika, how did all those crosses come out that you mentioned on February 6?
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2002
8:10 AM

Post #322812

They came out in many large plants, some are over 3m tall.
Several have small or larger buds.It seems to take an eternity for them to grow and open. It becomes very exiting over here.

The most important seed pod, Rosa Zauber x EP, fell off. The seeds didnt germinate.

Two seedlings of the candida flore plena x Carmencita cross flowered already. One has beautiful shaped single and double flowers, the second had singles in its first flush, now the second is coming. All were whites. They flowered in versi-habit, many buds opened all at one.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2002
3:10 PM

Post #322976

So how many flushes of blooms should we go through before they become their final color and shape?
brugcrazy
Vancouver Island, BC
(Zone 8b)

August 9, 2002
4:47 PM

Post #323054

Monika, I'm so sad that your Rosa Zauber x EP seed pod fell off.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 9, 2002
5:03 PM

Post #323066

I was wondering what Liz asked.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

August 9, 2002
5:26 PM

Post #323080

They will stay white Liz. mother x candida plena was white, color of parents unknown, father (or Pollinator) Carmencita is out of a >Charleston x Rothkirch cross. I made it to see, what type of flowers this cross would bring. Important to me is the Carmencita x EP cross. But I am afraid, most of them must overwinter again.
Liz
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8b)

January 15, 2003
12:13 AM

Post #449306

Awesome reading ~~ tons of information
Dennis_taylor
rural, WY
(Zone 3a)

January 15, 2003
3:34 AM

Post #449434

Thanks for bringing this up Liz, I wasn't at Dave's when this thread came up. Thank you Monika for being so helpful.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

November 8, 2006
7:42 PM

Post #2894994

bumping for newbies and those who missed them before.
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 9, 2006
12:58 AM

Post #2895971

Thanks for bumping up .
I have 2 books on Brugs there must be more out there but I don't know there names .
BjsBloomers
Lewiston, CA
(Zone 7b)

November 10, 2006
3:04 PM

Post #2900798

There are only the 2 books, so far that I am aware of.
This is such a wealth of information. I am a sponge!
tonyjr
Union City, CA
(Zone 9b)

November 11, 2006
2:40 PM

Post #2904066

I tried to post several times last nite - but couldn't get in --
The 2 books I have are
Brugmansia and Datura
and
Engelstrompeten -- with english translation .
There are a few listed on amazon - but are out of print and mostly just papers college students have written . You have to look under "Liliaceae" and go thru about 1000 books -papers that are out of print / unavailable .
I have between 50 to 75 books on plants , propagation , bugs , medical plants , herbs - mostly english but a few Spanish and German . Most just have a line , paragrafh - maybe a picture .
I am a sucker for bargain bin books and used books . Most don't know the difference between Brugmansia and Datura and Iochromas and sanguinea .
I have learned more since I found Daves .
I only knew of 5 - a single white , double wite , yellow and 2 frosted pinks .I was proud that I had 4 of the 5 . Right now I have between 20 to 25 different ones with extra's of 4 or 5 .
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

November 11, 2006
2:55 PM

Post #2904103

Engelstrompeten -- with english translation I believe was written by Monica, the lady that started this thread. I have that book and found it very helpful.
scooterbug
Tellico Plains, TN
(Zone 7b)

July 15, 2009
10:22 PM

Post #6824076

*bump*
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

July 16, 2009
6:52 AM

Post #6825580

I would like to add the information, that one seedling out of the Carmencita x EP cross mentioned above was named Carmela and pollinated with Rubirosa became the mother of the double Pinks Carousel, Cathinka and Susie Underhill. All three were grown out of the seeds I had send to the US.
Susie Underhill has very large flowers. They have a length of almost 40cm.

This message was edited Jul 16, 2009 10:44 PM

Thumbnail by monika
Click the image for an enlarged view.

burgele
Dunedin, FL

July 16, 2009
10:12 AM

Post #6825685

Let me add to Monika's post, i am fortunate to have all three of those Beauties, Carousel a triple, Cathinka dbl and triple and Susie Underhill dbl, all are doing well even in Florida.
bettydee
La Grange, TX
(Zone 8b)

July 16, 2009
5:05 PM

Post #6826946

Of the two blooms, which is the older one? I love the darker inner skirt on the left handed bloom!!!
burgele
Dunedin, FL

July 16, 2009
11:30 PM

Post #6828335

They always seem to have the darker inner skirt on Susie Underhill, it was just not so visible on the right bloom as she turned her blossom the other way.

Thumbnail by burgele

TheAngelGirl
Coushatta, LA

July 17, 2009
4:56 AM

Post #6829565

She is a beauty,love the dark pink.
wholyhosta
Lula, GA

July 17, 2009
2:22 PM

Post #6830422

Monika, congratulations on obtaining such outstanding seedlings from your cross of Carmencita x EP.

B--- Susie Underhill has exception blossoms and tendrils. Lucky you! Glad to hear she and siblings do well in Florida! ~Brenda B

plantlover49
Hamilton, OH

July 17, 2009
4:31 PM

Post #6830969

Monica
those Blooms are amazing, the length of the Bloom & that Georgeous color, Congratulation on a great cross

Elizabeth
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

November 12, 2011
4:12 PM

Post #8887533

Monika, thank you for the Brugmansia & Datura books in English & German, they have helped in many ways,

The flowers you produce over the last few decaides are AMAZZING, and is there any way of getting some seed from you versicolor range that would improve the breeding stock here in Australia
thanks you again will follow this post & any other post that i find

Shaun

Thumbnail by SolMan

monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
1:10 AM

Post #8889355

Shaun, thank you for the kind words about the books and my hybrids. :-)

Once in a while I do have seeds left to share with seriously interested Brugmansia friends in oversea, but not each year, because the success of pollination depends here much on the weather in the climate zone I live in.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

November 14, 2011
2:07 AM

Post #8889362

*Waving from Australia* Monika ...you have many devotees here ...can't wait for the next book too.
chrissy
kareoke
Greensburg, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2011
5:04 AM

Post #8889462

Are any of these plants,or cuttings available.
I too enjoy your books.
monika
Herbstein
Germany
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2011
6:36 AM

Post #8889587

'Waving from Germany' Chrissy!

Thumbnail by monika

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Brugmansias Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
it you take cuttings from a blooming plant.. arlene 52 Dec 21, 2010 12:39 PM
Great Brugmansia hybrids fast Brugmansia 24 Jul 8, 2013 12:49 AM
How Many Other Canadian Brug Lovers Are Here? Ladybug 30 Aug 7, 2010 8:24 PM
Labeled Parts - 2nd try poppysue 15 Jan 8, 2010 2:19 PM
Things I learned today Calalily 41 Jan 5, 2009 11:44 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America