Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

Growing tomatoes upside down

(Zone 7a)

Start with a large container that can
be used as a hanging basket. The hole
in the bottom should be about the size
of a ping pong ball.(You may have to
enlarge the hole in some containers).
Then take your small seedling and work
it carefully through the hole from the
inside of the container. Fill the
container with your favorite potting
soil mix and hang your upside down
tomato outdoors in the appropriate
spot. The cherry type tomatoes look
most attractive hanging.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i have read about planting tomato as a hanging plant before. here is another way... http://www.weeno.com/art/0799/117.html http://www.nighthawkpublications.com/backyard/tomato.htm

here's another good one... propagating tomato by cuttings http://www.backyardgardener.com/vegetableboard/messages/166.html

To prevent damaging plants as you put them through the holes in a hanging basket, wrap them in a thick plastic (like a bit of compost sack) or paper and then put it through the hole. No damaged leaves!

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

a friend sometime ago, suggested to use plastic bag as a planter -- not the regular trash bag but one that is of thicker quality like the trash compactor plastic bag... tied on a strong rope that will hold the weight. she did not use regular soil. intead combination of peat moss, vermiculite and perlite. she did manage to have ample harvest on her hanging tomato planter.

Noblesville, IN(Zone 5a)

You can than plant some small marigolds in the top.

(Zone 7a)

Good idea HoniBee.

This message was edited May 19, 2005 12:00 PM

(Zone 5a)

At the risk of sounding dumb, when you put your soil in your pot then hang it upside down how do you keep it from falling out, would you use a plastic bag to hold it in?

Bodrum, Turkey(Zone 10a)

windsurfer, I dont think that the pot is turned upside down, you make a hole in the sides/bottom and feed the plant thru that, then you hang the planter the way you would normally, just the plants would be coming out of the sides/bottom. My neighbour did this, she had about 4 or 5 baskets, and they looked pretty neat.

North Vancouver, BC(Zone 8a)

Honeybee..wouldn't the marigolds, if they happen to be yellow, attract whiteflies to the tomatoes??? just a thought! Elaine

(Zone 5a)

Thanks Pebbles, I get it now.

Temple, GA(Zone 7b)

Hey Everybody, This sounds like a great idea! I have already done one and am cleaning more baskets left over from last year and plan on doing more. I think this is a wonderful idea. I had never heard od it, so I am gonna give it a shot! I already have a tomato garden and lots of other veggies in it too! So I am gonna do a few for myself and for some elderly folks in my family!!! Would be so easy for them. I have some Professional potting mix that I am using in them as well as I am mixing it with humus and manure(very small quantity of that) I am looking forward to seing this !! Thanks so much for the wonderful creative Idea!

Thanks again!
Traci S

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

I have about 6 or 7 hanging tomatoes in the g-house...I really need to get them out and on the deck or somewhere. They are drying out quickly in there and needs lots of watering. I put some in standard 10 inch hanging baskets and a couple in bigger buckets. The bigger the pot the better folks. I also put marigolds growing in the tops of some of them and they look rather nice.
Most of the baskets have Sungold or Isis tomatoes but I went ahead and put in a medium-sized tomato in a couple just to see how they'd do. (Ultra-Sweet is the one I chose.)
Elaine, no sign of whiteflys perhaps because of the repellent properties of some marigolds (I used a dwarf Harlequin type called Mr. Majestic, my absolute favorite marigold.)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

Shoe, did you plant them out the bottom, or as a regular hanging basket?

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

The maters are coming out the bottom, the marigolds are planted on top. You gonna try it?? τΏτ

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, I've already run out of ground, and have tons to pot in containers this weekend. so I thought I'd try the Texas wild cherry and Isis Candy. thanks!!

(Zone 5a)

Hey Shoe did you post a picture of your plant, I have been so busy.I would like to see what your talking about.

I am glad to know that I am not the only one here that has run out of ground. Good luck Tig if you decide to plant one, I'll be looking forward to see a picture as soon as I have some time.

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

well, got to thinking about it, and mine are too big now to do this. If I'd started when they were seedlings, I could have gotten them through the hole. Mine are about 2 1/2' tall at least.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Oh pshaww! Just make the hole bigger tiG..you can fill in around it with newspaper or something to keep the dirt in...c'mon, give it a try! (it's still early in the year ya know.) (shhhs...besides, maybe you could enter it into the container gardening contest...who knows what one can plant something upside down in, eh? eh?)

Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I might give it a shot, I'll let ya know!!

(Zone 5a)

AWWH come Tig you can do it,said from cicken little lol.

Hughesville, MO(Zone 5a)

Shad's mother told me about this thread when she picked him up Wednesday afternoon. We talked about it and I do believe I'll give it a whorl. We have some 5-7 gallon pails that have cracked bottoms so I won't be losing anything by making the hole in the bottom. I'll have to buy a plant. I think I'll go for a cherry tomato one. Come to think of it, Kris said she has some volunteers from last year so I may be able to get one from her.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Bumping up for 2003. A friend told me about doing this and I thought it souned like a fun idea.

I planted a Green Grape tomatoe plant, because I thought the cluster of this one would look nice hanging. So far it has done great..already geting blooms...can't wait to see it in a month or so.

I also planted Nasturtiums (dwarf jewel mix) that is what is growing up top. I'll post photos as it progresses for anyone interested.

ps: NO slug problems...I love that! WaWild1

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Here's a not-so-good-pic from last yr...wish I knew how to really take better pics.
My hangin' maters...

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Here's a bit better close-up (not quite so much sun shining on the pic)and also showing the marigolds on the top of the "basket".

Looking forward to your "progress report" and pics, WaWild!

Thumbnail by Horseshoe
Fort Edward, NY(Zone 5a)

DH got tired of me trying to find places to hang these baskets (we dont have eaves on our house, and not too many tree branches can support the weight of these baskets...soooo...for my bday this year, he bought me an upside down tomato garden!!!http://www.hammacher.com/publish/67403.asp?promo=search
I cant tell you how amazing this thing is...it was expensive, but it worked out well for both of us...Now I have 3 tomato plants in there, and one pepper plant.basil on top...there is room for 4 more mater (or pepper, or whatever you can think up) plants if I cut out the additional holes. Of course I also have about 50 mater plants in the ground with stakes....but the hanging ones are my pride and joy...

maple ridge, Canada

This is a great topic
But did you know there is a tumbler tomatoe available now
I saw it on Vancouver Island at Coombs- west coast of
British Columbia
I havent seen it since then( few years ago) - it was
doing well planted on the top and tumbling over the sides
- it was a cherry tomatoe

Celaya, Mexico(Zone 10a)

Sun, you most likely mean 'Tumbler F1'.
Actually have this one currently growing in a hanging basket. Kinda ugly looking plant and rather large for a hanging basket (~6 feet/2 meters trailing down) but plenty of tomatos which are tasty.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

Here is an updated pic. Planting them upside down and watching them grow is so facinating and fun.
Hoseshoe...your plants look awesome. I hink I might have to many plants in the top part. I feed this baby a lot though...everyone around here is having fun with this guy.

I can't wait until some fruit set..woo hoo. I only did one this first time..green grape tomatoes..gonna do many more next season. Since we need to really have hoop tents over them to produce and ripen well... it may be easier to cover the hanging ones.

The friend that told us about this, said that any size tomatoes will work...for reasons unknown to me...they don't fall off the vines.. hee hee.

I want to try to growing some other veggies this way next year. Might even do some of my peppers upside down this year.

Thumbnail by WaWild1
Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Lookin' good!!! Nice!!!

(Think maybe we should try corn next yr, WaWild???)

Verona, ON

Alright, we are trying broccoli and brussels sprouts. Don't laugh I think it might work. But Boy do they ever need alot of water.Shoe maybe you are on to something with corn - at least the deer can't get them. Tomato plants are looking good. Anxious to hear how they will fare during the summer. D.

Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

I agree..corn might just work...can't seem to get it to grow any other way here. lol Kidneyguy..do you really have these growing upside down? This year? Man, I bet that would look totally cool.

N.C. Mts., NC(Zone 6b)

Here are my cherry tomatoes from last year. Haven't started any this year. I had one hole in the bottom and two in the side near the bottom.

Thumbnail by lizh
Bremerton, WA(Zone 8b)

great pic liz...I'm continue to be amazed at these gowing this way.

Verona, ON

Yep! Can't wait to see what happens. It sure makes it easy to weed and water. We'll see said he picked up the hammer and saw. Glad to hear others are experimenting. We also have potatoes in tires. We are on our fourth tire already so maybe we'll have our own leaning tower of Pisa here in Ontario. Scared to death we aren't doing these potatoes right - open to all suggestions. D

Mississauga, ON(Zone 6a)

This idea is just too cool!! I can't wait to try it next year & by planting a tomatoe upside down in a hanging pot, you aren't using valuable in-ground space. How creative!!

MERCER, PA(Zone 5a)

Other than looking pretty neat, are there any advantages to growing the tomatoes upside down? Are they bigger, healthier, or more bug free? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

El Sobrante, CA(Zone 9b)

I think the main thing is not having to stake and support the plants - they work that out with gravity themselves.

:o) Judith, whose upside down tomato is not as happy as some others ... but probably because the container is wayyy too small!!

(Zone 7a)

This message was edited Mar 22, 2004 11:53 AM

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

bitty...my pics were from last yr. I decided not to do any this yr, altho I wish I had! Mine did okay (last yr)...had to really water them a lot cuz I grew them in small pots. Next time I do them I'll use five gallon buckets.

Sure is a fun way to grow maters tho! If you grew that many I bet it was a sight to see!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.