Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Garden Talk: POISONOUS PLANTS

Communities > Forums > Garden Talk
bookmark
Forum: Garden TalkReplies: 21, Views: 353
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
2:35 AM

Post #2668

I think that all plants should be so labelled if they are poisonous and there are many that come under this category. I have just found out that every part of Datura (Brugmansia)from leaf, to flower, to stem, is poisonous. If you take care then this should not be a cause for concern, but if you have kids then avoid it like the plague.
dave

March 22, 2001
2:45 AM

Post #60695

Trish put you up to this, didn't she? :)
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
2:56 AM

Post #60699

No! Your question comes as a surprise...lol
dave

March 22, 2001
3:01 AM

Post #60701

I have a brugs here and I love it. Also have three Datura plants in the greenhouse... Well, they're in the kitchen now that the greenhouse is a little torn up... but they used to be in the greenhouse.

Anyway, I developed a nasty itch on my belly a couple weeks ago that just keeps persisting. Itch itch itch and it spreads spreads spreads. Trish insists that it was caused by my handling of the Datura. I think she wants me to get rid of them.

I was joking with my question above - I knew trish would come in here and see the thread. :)

Dave

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
4:17 AM

Post #60712

Hey, Dave there must be some sort of ESP thing going on, because that's one of the items I've added to my draft of changes to the plants database - those reviewing it and I thought it would be helpful for those who want a heads up when seeds and/or plants are poisonous (especially those with young children or curious pets that could get hold of them...) And no, Trish didn't put me up to it, either - very strange, huh???? You might try some of that benadryl/calamine lotion stuff - works pretty good for chicken pox, so it might help the itch.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
12:58 PM

Post #60777

Dieffenbachia (dumb cane) is a bad one too. If it is eaten then the tongue swells up and block air intake.
dave

March 22, 2001
1:26 PM

Post #60792

I come in contact with all kinds of plants. I figure the rash probably came from the hot peppers I got from a friend in Chile. The seeds were daggone hot to the touch even, especially one called "Goat's Horn". I tried eating one of the seeds and almost passed out! Chuckling...

Could be the tomatoes, too. But if I had to have my guess, I'm allergic to something in my greenhouse (currently out of order, of course). I'm just dealing with it. Benadryl did help for the first couple days. Now I think I've learned to ignore it, or it's getting less itchy - not sure which!!

dave

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
1:33 PM

Post #60796

The worst part is when I handle hot peppers (peeling the roasted skin off, just chopping the raw ones), then take out my contacts later in the day - OUCH!!!! I have finally gotten smart, and keep some surgical gloves in the kitchen, and TRY to remember to take out my contacts first if I'm going to be handling a lot of peppers...(it took a few times of searing my eyeballs to catch on, though, duh!!!!)
dave

March 22, 2001
2:49 PM

Post #60813

I remember very clearly dunking my head in a sink full of cold water, inhaling water through my mouth, nose and any other facial orifice, trying to releive the searing pain after rubbing the sweat off my face after eating an extremely hot pepper. I laugh just thinking about it.

Never had the contact problem, though. Ouch!
justmeLisa
Brewers, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 22, 2001
2:56 PM

Post #60815

Here is a great site! I think all gardeners should book mark it for future references. It is from Cornell U. and has an extensive list of plants. Even a seperate one for critters! Thanks Louisa for this thread, Lisa http://www.ansci.cornell.edu/plants/plants.html
sunflower
Olive Branch, MS
(Zone 7b)

March 22, 2001
3:59 PM

Post #60825

Lots of garden plants or weeds are poisionous. Tomato leaves. Rhubarb leaves. Foxgloves. Monkshood. Delphiniums. Nightshade. Butterfly weed. Thankfully, poisionous stuff tastes really bad to the human palate.

Even if you don't grow anything but grass, they'll find a way to put that in their mouths if you turn your back for one minute. I know I did. WHen my sis was about 9 months old, my mom had us outside on a blanket enjoying the sunshine on a day much like this. It was sunny and warm, but everything hadn't yet broken dormancy. The phone rang, and she went inside to answer it, and my two year old self took the opportunity to stuff as much of the strawlike dormant bermuda grass down my sister's throat as I possibly could. And, as I was quite a determined kid, that was a lot. My sis had to have her stomach pumped, not because it was toxic, thank goodness it wasn't, but because it was so much roughage, the doc thought it might injure her immature intestines.

My point is that kids are gonna be kids, and you'll do better by teaching them how to handle the dangers of the world, rather than trying to protect them from it all. That doesn't mean you should grow a brug next to a crib, though, but I think you get my drift. And, watch out for sibings! Sibling rivalry can be a deadly thing!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
5:11 PM

Post #60860

There are dangers and there are dangers. I just wouldn't take the chance on growing something 'in the house' if my kids were small. Kids are kids and don't always listen to what they are told. I would rather be safe than sorry. :-)
michele5000
Joshua Tree, CA
(Zone 8b)

March 22, 2001
7:40 PM

Post #60901

Datura Seeds wash hands after even handling the seed. I have them in the front yard.Not in my kids play yard. A LOT of plants are Poisonous. Even an Oleandar leaf blown into a pets dish , can kill. You do have to be careful. We have so many resources here on the Net. We can research our plants. Did you know that Pothos is poisonous as well.A very common house plant.
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 22, 2001
8:03 PM

Post #60910

Unfortonately so many plants have some part that is poisonous. Tomato blossoms for instance. Asparagus causes terrible swelling for people who are sensitive to it. If you are going to taste a plant or a part of a plant that you are not familiar with at least try a very little at first.

Deadly Nightshade also called Garden Huckleberry is a good example. The wilted leaves are deadly, usually to animals who get it in hay. The berries are delicous. It is in the tomato family.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
8:11 PM

Post #60912

Aconitum (Monkshood) Another bad one. There are so many and we need to take on individual responsibility to ensure that we are cautious and know precisely which plants to grow and what we are dealing with, especially if kids and animals are involved.
chris

(Zone 6a)

March 22, 2001
8:25 PM

Post #60917

This is funny but not really... Last year I gave my friend some surprize lilly bulbs the locals call them naked ladies...

She took them home and was going to plant them in the spring.. Her husband was cooking supper on night and cut one up thinking it was an onion. Fried it up with some hamburger and stuff. She took a few bites and said that it tasted funny and didn't finish hers.. He being a man ate the whole plate. He was up all night with severe vomiting.. So now when I bring stuff to work to give people every one teases them and says be sure you don't eat it..
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 22, 2001
9:52 PM

Post #60943

Oh my goodness. The poor man could have died!!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 23, 2001
2:02 AM

Post #61018

Dave
Anything in the wandering jew family can give you a terrible itchy rash as can things in the euphorbia family. Pregnant onion can cause itchy rash and so will Herb Rue. Try some cortisone cream. If you handle wood that has dormant poison ivy on it you can get a rash.
Calalily
dave

March 23, 2001
2:57 AM

Post #61041

Calalily: interesting! I have a wandering jew (given to me by GrannyLois - my mom). I actually received it not long before I developed the rash!! I'll have to give her a hard time about this when I see her this weekend.

I'll be more careful around it :)
gardendragon
Ladysmith, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 23, 2001
4:20 AM

Post #61072

I grew Datura/Brugs last summer. What wonderful flowers they produce. I knew they were poisionus and told my darling granddaughters 6 & 4, not to go near them, just to look as they were very poisiounous.

The girls made a point of telling everyone "Not to go near those plants - just to look at the beautiful flowers" and they were worried about our cat going near the plants. (Must say am sure if I had grandsons the outcome would have been different - little devils that they are!)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Garden Talk Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Vines for shade Foxglove 27 Aug 23, 2007 2:17 AM
wierd bug problem Ivey 9 Mar 7, 2010 7:54 PM
The ComposTumbler dave 43 Apr 18, 2009 5:06 AM
Are there any plants that discourage snakes? If not, any other ideas? Carol7 35 Aug 23, 2007 12:37 AM
Vine support pole Dinu 11 Jan 13, 2014 1:26 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America