Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

all my plotting and planning i forgot one corner of my yard area by the pool. darn now i have to wait till next yr. unless that is where i put the cactus garden i've been dreaming about.

Thumbnail by farmgirl21
Newnan, GA(Zone 8a)

I can't wait to see all these beds filled up!!! it's going to be great.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

Looks a little bit like mine Farmgirl!!!! I too have a forgotten corner - they're all forgotten :-) My area near the forest is going to be a wild flower garden - I hope!! Good luck - your soil looks good darn it and I'm envious!! I have clay!! Say no more!!

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

my dirt is black gold. we got it from a horse farm down the road. all we had to do to get it is take our shovels. lol. this dirt grows everything. our soil is clay also it is like rock when we are dry.
my wild flower garden is down by my front fence line. i have been throwing our seed for the 3yrs we been here hoping someday they will grow.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

I've been looking into this and have a few articles on growing a meadow. Apparently you just can't throw the seed and expect it to grow. Once I have looked into the subject more I'll let you know what I've found out :-) We have many horses in our area too and now that we have the TRUCK (lolol) - the world is our oyster, or the manure is our beds!!

Hempstead, TX(Zone 8b)

i tilled up the area by my front gate and planted the seed. hoping this yr they will take off.
i called the horse farms around here and asked if i can come raid their compost piles. one man said come on and take what you want. when we arrived we saw a mountian of rich black gold. they have been turning it maybe once a yr if that. this yr we hit it just in time they were spreading it around their land. the pile is almost gone. i have a feeling i will need to find another pile.

Troy, VA(Zone 7a)

well I don't think I will find a well rotted pile so you were very lucky. But I'm going to scout around of course :-)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images