Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Cowslip?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 20, Views: 142
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 19, 2002
7:27 AM

Post #23458

Here's another one of my mystery plants: This plant is growing at a friend's by the pond in her rock garden. She gave me seed last year, and they rooted quite nicely. Now I'm not sure what they are. I know they're a primula, and they have a lovely nutmeg scent, but are they the common cowslip. Somehow the stem seems too long. Thompson and Morgan has one called florindae that could match, as well. Anybody out there a Primula buff?

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 19, 2002
7:50 AM

Post #214127

WZ... i have not grown primula. so i would not know what i will be looking for. but, check this url, it might help... http://members.shaw.ca/primulaworld/photogallery.htm

mavie
Baa

February 19, 2002
9:19 AM

Post #214132

It's not a Cowslip (P. veris) thats for sure, they have a baby, milky scent and the plant pictured appears to be quite large. There are a number of Primula which bear umbles of yellow flowers but I agree with you that it is P. florindae due to its sheer size and nutmeg fragrance.
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 19, 2002
10:29 AM

Post #214148

Whatever it is, it's gorgeous!!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 19, 2002
10:24 PM

Post #214500

Well, since my posting, I've visited the site MaeVieRose suggested, and I tried Botany.com for more pics of the florindaes.

Baa: florindae it is! I'm almost sorry I did all that cruising around to confirm it, because now I've got the hots for a florindae rubra. Apparently this baby grows naturally in Tibet, and as well as yellow, it comes in shades of orange red! I'm going to have to do some hunting around! Thanks for the help, you guys!...WZ
Baa

February 19, 2002
10:50 PM

Post #214514

That's the problem with Prims there are so many different forms and I want all of them ;)I'm hoping to obtain the seeds of P florindae Buff form, pale browish/yellow flowers, I've got P veris Red strain as seeds but Primula is my seed nemesis, so for now I'm in the hands of whoever looks after seed sowers LOL.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 20, 2002
7:20 PM

Post #214950

Baa: When you say seed nemesis, are you referring to storage, germination, or just getting specific seed. I've started the vialli, the auricula, and some of the dwarf polyantha last year. Germination was sporadic on all but the auricula and the one I've decided is florindae. This year, I'm planting more of the same, plus the denticulata, candelabras, & tall polyanthas: Miller's Crimson and Pacific Giant Mix. I can see that a person would have to really stay on top of the process, and I may be doomed to fail with these if I was falsely assured by a couple of amiable varieties...I'll let you know.

There is a greenhouse on the west side of the Kenai Peninsula in Homer, who grows wonderful primula. I visited her gardens once, and bought some different varieties. If any of you gardeners ever visit this area, I'd heartily recommend her greenhouse. It's called Fritz Creek Gardens. She has a wonderful selection of plants for alpine environments and cooler climates.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
2:21 AM

Post #215178

It just occured to me that cowslip could be interpreted two different ways. I guess I've always thought of it as a cow slip, but it seems I've read that it is really cow's lip, referring to the similarity of smell between a cowslip and a cow's lip...is this a figment of my imagination?? If so, not bad, eh?...WZ
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2002
3:37 PM

Post #215425

Looks like Primula veris, but it isn't | P. veris grows wild here. It has smaller and thinner leaves.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
6:19 PM

Post #215548

Yes, Evert: I thought it was a veris myself, until I took another look at this picture and studied the descriptions. The stems are quite long, and it has that lovely nutmeggy scent attributed to the florindae..so that's what I think it is.

Since veris grows wild in your area, I thought you might enjoy this little bit of info I picked up on one of the database sights:

"History: Originally from Europe. Children used to suck the nectar from the flowers and the scent is a little like cow's breath (which smells sweet if you were feeling ill at the thought!). This isn't where its most used common name comes from though, its from the Old English Cu-slyppe because they thought it was more abundant in meadows with a lot of cow slops. Once used as a medicinal (please don't try it) for nervous complaints and palsy (another common name is Palsywort) and in a cosmetic water."

So, I was mistaken about the history of the name "cowslip", but the true origin of "cow slops" is hardly more flattering. Whatever the case, it is a wonderful little plant...even if mine is not a veris!

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2002
6:46 PM

Post #215568

Cool history =)

I like Primulas, I should buy more..
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
6:59 PM

Post #215579

Evert: I just started growing primulas two years ago, and I love them. I have auriculas, vugaris, dwarf polyanthas, viallis, and florindae. This year I am starting seeds for denticulata, tall polyanthas, and bullyeanas. I hope they all germinate for me!

I have some collected seed from the florindae, if you'd like some. They were collected in 2000, so I hope they are viable. I think I have your address, if you'd like some. Can I mail flower seed to Finland?...WZ
Baa

February 21, 2002
7:48 PM

Post #215623

Hey that's Baa spouting off again, I'd recognise that writing anywhere! Cu Slyppe I think is most descriptive a is most anglo-saxon vernacular ;)

Primulas are my nemesis because I've sown what feels like a huge amount of seed and none came up. I went out and bought a few and they are now everywhere hybridising on their own, proving my point that seeds germiate much better when fresh. Auriculas are the easiest Prims from seed.

I have a few species of Prims to sow this year, crossed fingers, I'll let you knowhow they get on later.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 22, 2002
1:19 AM

Post #215842

Baa: I was pretty dumb about primulas last spring when I planted those florindae seed, and they came up fine...the others were a bit less successful. The other varieties I'm trying this spring aren't due to come up for awhile, but I'm hoping. Fresh seed may be the trick...I've heard that before...so maybe we should just be shaking their little heads out on the ground each fall! Good luck on your primula seeds, and please wish me the same...let me know if you want some of the florindae to try...WZ
Baa

February 22, 2002
10:21 AM

Post #216000

Weezingreens

Good luck with the prim seeds! I'd love to swap for some florindae seeds if you can spare a few, what are you looking for? (don't rely on the trade list I've posted here, that's not all I have!)
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2002
12:39 AM

Post #216350

Hi, Baa: Lord, I have so many seeds now, I can't even think of anything...unless you have some Serbian Bellflower! I've decided to grow as many campanulas as I can, but I think there are as many kinds of campanulas as there are snowflakes! I'll be happy to send you some of the primrose seed, and you can send me something nifty some other time. If your address is on the Susan's list, I'll get them out to you in the next few days. Otherwise, email your address to me...WZ
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2002
9:18 PM

Post #216750

WZIG, sorry I haven't answered... yes I would love the seeds! You have a nice collection :) I don't have even a veris myself.. have to dig one up from nature or from my friend- HEh

Yes, you can mail seeds here, it is good to put a CN22 customs label to the envelope.. But maybe it is not needed.

BTW, I am collecting campanulas... I grew some C. medium from seeds lastr year. Now I have seeds of several species f.ex. C. alliarifolia, C. lactiflora, C. punctata.. :) I also like Codonopsis and will get more. I have so far only one - C. clematidea.

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2002
10:03 PM

Post #216764

Hi, Everet: I'll check at the post office before I mail anything out. I'll send you some florindae seed, and check my campanula seeds for ones you don't have. I have C. latifolia (great bellflower), C. carpatica (carpathian bellflower), & some C. cochlearifolia (fairy thimbles). I'd sure like to get some seed for the C. punctata, if you have any to spare...WZ
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2002
10:26 PM

Post #216772

Evert ;)

OK. I do have We have carpatica plants already... But the 2 other sound nice.

I will check the punctata. I was just sending you a letter, it is still on my table ready to be sent :) I hope it arrives if I put seeds there, as because of the new phytosanity things.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 23, 2002
10:35 PM

Post #216776

Hi, Evert:

I'll send you some latifolia, glomerata, and cochlearifolia, & I'll include some info. I always add a note on my envelope to let the mail services know there are seeds enclosed. They've been irradiating mail in some parts of the country since the Antrax thing, so they need to know. Irradiation sterilizes the seed!...WZ
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 23, 2002
10:49 PM

Post #216784

OK, thanks :)

I put always an customs label and write there what the letter contains - if Iäm sending outside EU area.

We don't have irradiation... That's good.

Do they irradiate letters in AK? I thought they do it only in big cities.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America