-
AuthorContent
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 19, 2002
11:41 PM

Post #23495

Ok, Baa and Wheezingreens, this is what we call Rose Campion (Lychinis coronaria)in the USA, it does have a dusty fuzzy leaf, but NOT what is called Dusty Miller (Artemisia stellarana) in the USA. I also have a white variety with a tiny bit of pink in it. What you have is NOT a balloon flower either. Now we know what it is not, just don't know what you have!!

Thumbnail by Azalea
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Baa

February 19, 2002
11:54 PM

Post #214546

That's definitely Dusty Miller to me LOL.

Silene, Melandrium and Lychnis are all in the same family so I guess thats why Campion crops up in the common names.
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2002
5:14 AM

Post #214687

You know too much Baa!!
Baa

February 20, 2002
9:12 AM

Post #214707

Oh OK I'll not utter another word on the subject
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

February 20, 2002
9:19 AM

Post #214709

Please do, i'm learning so much :-)
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 20, 2002
12:33 PM

Post #214742

I was just joking Baa!
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 20, 2002
7:50 PM

Post #214966

Ok, I've switched over from my "ballon flower" thread, and I agree I was in error. I agree that my flower bares a "lychis" to red campion, so that's probably the closest I'll get until it comes back up and I can examine it.

Azalea: The rose campion you mentioned is the "occulata". I started some last year, thinking I was getting the deep rose variety, which I'm starting this year. The occulata has a leaf much like a lamb's ear when young, and I think the same is true of the other. Whatever the case, they are striking plants, as your photo examplifies.

Baa: You know I looked up everything but Milandrium, but I've made up my mind to get out of my nightgown, so it will just have to wait. I like to have pants on when I eat lunch! I just wanted to mention to you that we have good luck with lychnis up here. So far I've had success with both rose campions, maltese cross, and german catchfly. I have seed for a white maltese cross this year, as well. I started some seed a friend had given me last year, and it is a delightful little plant that looks like it is a lychnis of some sort. It looks like a tiny german catchfly. The plants are very small and throw up the same sort of stem as the german catchfly, but I don't remember checking to see if the stem was sticky. Does this ring a bell with you?

Azalea: As I wondered through cyberspace in my nightgown, I noticed that many of the silene and campion sites referred by Botany.com were in the UK...is that just a preference with the site, or are these popular plants over there? I find it interesting that we share common names for plants, but they aren't always the same plants! Using the Thompson & Morgan catalog as a wish book and a plant reference, I have begun to recognize both. Surely the rose campion warrants the name "Dusty Miller" as much as an artemisia. I guess that the latin names are our common language in the plant world.

I'll check with my friend for a picture of that little dwarf catchfly, since I'm sure I don't have one...WZ
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 21, 2002
1:09 AM

Post #215135

Wheezi, it's Baa that lives in the UK, I'm just a Dam Yankee, transplanted to Ga, lol.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
2:10 AM

Post #215174

Ooooops! Think I need some estrogen! It's hard for an old gal to keep track of all the "flowers" in Dave's garden!..WZ
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2002
4:51 AM

Post #215947

Azalea, the Lychnis that's white with a little bit of pink is sold as 'Angel Blush' in several catalogues, and I've tried for years to get some started! (The regular rose one is everywhere in my yard.) Would you have any of the white/pink plants you'd want to trade for something?
Azalea
Jonesboro, GA
(Zone 7b)

February 22, 2002
4:55 AM

Post #215951

Sure, I just have a few plants, but I have plenty of seeds for both. Email me.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America