Hard to believe how time has flown, but the16th DG annual photo contest has begun! Find the details here. Best wishes to all the entrants!!!

SOLVED: Hummingbird vine ??

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

What kinda seeds are these? I have some other seeds that are similar but called Lavender trumpet vine. I thought they'd be in the morning glory family but these certainly are not. Anyone know what these are? They're flat and about -inch long. the lavender ones might be a little bigger than these.

Thumbnail by poppysue
Spicewood, TX(Zone 8b)

I'd bet that they're Red Trumpet Vine (Campsis radicans) or Orange Trumpet Vine. I'm not sure if the lavender or orange vines are C. radicans or another Campsis variety. I HAVE heard the red called hummingbird vine, but I'll bet you were expecting Cardinal Climber, Red Morning Glory or Cypress Vine?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Campsis I think - Most of the bignoniaceae plants have winged seeds.

Florence, AL(Zone 7a)

There are two different things called lavender trumpet vine. One's Clytostoma callistegioides, and the other starts with a 'D' (sorry, that's all I can remember!) If you have enough of the Lavender seeds to share, I can send you some Red MG seeds, which the hummingbirds really LOVE!
I also have Cypress Vine and a so-called 'orange' MG, if you're interested.

MD &, VA(Zone 7b)

Those look identical to my Campsis Tagliabuana seeds. The common name given with them is 'Madame Galen Trumpet Vine.

Westbrook, ME(Zone 5a)

Well I guess they probably are a campsis. The lavender trumpet flowers are quite a bit longer now that I look at them. They have much longer wings. The Clytostoma is really pretty - although I'm sure they won't be hardy for me. I'll see if I have any luck with germination. Thanks for all the input.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.