Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Catchfly???

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 5, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
2:18 AM

Post #23567

Hi, it's me, the gardener who doesn't know what she's growing! I found a picture of that small plant a friend gave me. I have about two dozen of them wintering over in my temp bed, so I'd sure like to know what they are!

They grow about 4" tall from the flower top to the base. They grow in a clump and shoot up a stem of rose pink flowers. They really remind me of German Catchfly, but I didn't check to see if they had a sticky stem. So far, they have only produced one stem of blooms each, but maybe that will change.

The original plants she gave me have been in my rock bed for about three years, and they don't seem to mind rocky soil and little attention...sounds like my DH! Anybody want to venture a guess??...WZ

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2002
3:42 PM

Post #215428

Armeria maritima? Looks like it.. I have one.

They grow wild here also some places - see a photo: http://linnaeus.nrm.se/flora/di/plumbagina/armer/armemar5.jpg

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 21st 11:43 AM
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
6:49 PM

Post #215571

Hi, Evert: No, it isn't an Armeria maritima, though it's hard to tell from my photo. The leaves of the maritima are almost like grass,as I recall, and these plants have flat little leaves. The bloom is a cluster of small blooms, rather than one bloom. The foliage stays in a small clump flat to the ground, and the stem of flowers rises to no more than 4". The plants are about two or three years old.

I have a friend that grows a patch of the Armeria maritima, and it seems to do quite well here...WZ
Baa

February 21, 2002
8:00 PM

Post #215630

Weezengreens

I have to say I'd have agreed with Evert on this they look remarkably like a wild Ameria maritima on the pic. German Catchfly (in my country anyway) is Lychnis viscaria which can have a single or a double bloom but doesn't have globose heads. Can you describe the plant pictured a little more please?
Evert
Helsinki
Finland
(Zone 4b)

February 21, 2002
8:21 PM

Post #215635

Hmm. maybe it is some other Armeria species? Or Scabiosa? Haha...
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
11:42 PM

Post #215778

Don't know that I can describe it any better, but having seen German Catchfly, I certainly think it is closer to that than Armeria, since the leaves are flat. I'm going to give you a better close up on another thread on this forum..WZ

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America