Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Wild violet?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 12, Views: 144
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2002
3:56 AM

Post #23572

Is this a weed or a wild violet?

Thumbnail by Tim
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2002
4:59 AM

Post #215223

Mom has that exact same one all over her lawn. ;-) She planted them about 25 years ago and they've naturalized. She thought she remembered them just being called woodland violets, but she wasn't sure. I haven't been able to positively ID it either ~ sorry, that's all I have. I hope you do get a better, more definitive answer!
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 21, 2002
2:12 PM

Post #215366

Thanks wingnut, at least they aren't weeds.

I saw some at Sami's last weekend when we got together with Roadrunner, and Kikisdad mentioned they might be some form of violet.
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

February 21, 2002
2:41 PM

Post #215384

Your welcome! :-) I should mention that they're incredibly tough and make good border plants. Mom isn't really a gardener and just wanted to line her walkway with something that wouldn't take much care. If she would have kept them in line from the beginning, I'm sure they wouldn't have spread so much. But I think they look cute at this time of year, all green in little mounds with the lavender flowers ~ even in Mom's lawn they're cute! ;-) I transplanted some into the border of my front flower beds three years ago and they're thriving despite much abuse.
makshi
Noblesville, IN
(Zone 5a)

February 21, 2002
3:19 PM

Post #215412

I love these pretty little flowers.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 21, 2002
5:43 PM

Post #215513

here's a link 4 U Tim... http://www.wiseacre-gardens.com/plants/perennial/violet.html
Brugie
Chariton, IA
(Zone 5b)

February 21, 2002
6:05 PM

Post #215536

I wonder if the wind or the birds scatter the seeds. I have them coming up in places far away from the plants. They do get very thick too. Some how I even got a few that have white blooms. Don't have any idea where they came from. Nice to see the little blooms in the spring though.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
6:31 PM

Post #215558

Ah, the sweet violet! They grow along the marshy woodland areas up here in Southcentral Alaska. We call our variety "marsh violets", and they are more of a lilac or lavender colored bloom. I've transplanted several of them into my shadier portions of my lawn, and they always fare well. For those of you interested in the way the transport seed, I'm going to post a pic on a new thread.

As for whether it is a weed or not, remember,Tim, that a weed is defined as any plant that grows where you don't want it to!...WZ
Baa

February 21, 2002
7:53 PM

Post #215625

Were this Violet in England I would say it is either Viola Canina or Viola riviniana (Dog Violet and Common Violet). However, the USA has a number of species of its own and it may be one of those.

I have loads of Violets similar to these all over the yard and while they are technically perennials, ours behave mainly as annuals.
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

February 22, 2002
3:02 PM

Post #216117

Ok, definitely a violet - I am not even going to hazard a guess as too the latin, as there are enough species of violet to keep me confused! (and I don't have my book).

As far as the seeds - violets have a seed pod that splits open when fully ripe and broadcasts the seed far and wide. Also, the little beggars have fat little rhizhomes that produce new plants, so you can get a healthy patch of them in no time. I love them - here in NH my lawn is full of them, white and blue large flowered and the tiny white sweet violets.
Agapanthus
Hampstead, NC
(Zone 8a)

February 23, 2002
9:59 PM

Post #216761

Try either Viola septentrionalis (Northern Blue Violet) or Viola sororai, syn. viola papilionacea (wolly blue violet) I love them too. Brought them here to NC from CT and they grow well, sun or shade. They are one of my favorites.
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2002
11:12 PM

Post #216798

Thanks Linnea! It's good to know that they are that hardy.
Georgiaredclay
lagrange, GA
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2002
2:43 AM

Post #217448

We call them Johnny Jump Ups. They come up here also all in the lawn.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 22 Nov 3, 2014 6:02 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America