AuthorContent
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

February 21, 2002
6:40 PM

Post #23613

Hi, Tim & Other Violeteers!

Here is a picture of a wild Alaskan Marsh Violet scattering seed. The picture is a bit fuzzy, but basically, what happens is that the spent blossom is followed by a little ribbed lemon-shaped pod. When seeds are matured, this pod pops open, turning itself inside out and scattering the seeds hither and yon! The same is true of our garden pansies and violas.

To determine how far they can be thrown, bring a viola seed pod into the house and set it on a piece of paper in a warm spot. Chances are by the next morning, the seed pod will have thrown seed well past the piece of paper. When I collect seed pods from my favorite violas, I put a knee-high hosery over the container to keep the seeds from escaping!

Of course, from that point on, I'm sure birds carry them, animals track them around on their feet, and the wind blows them about. Whatever happens, they are always a pleasure to see in the unexpected spots they call home!...WZ

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2002
12:06 AM

Post #216331

Duplicate post.

This message was edited Friday, Feb 22nd 8:09 PM
Tim
Palmyra, VA
(Zone 7a)

February 23, 2002
12:06 AM

Post #216332

Thanks weezinggreens!! In my picture, a few of the pods already exploded. I found another in the patch getting ready to open.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America