SOLVED: Catchfly Closeup

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

OK, Here's a closeup of my mystery plant. Maybe I just have my head stuck on Catchfly, or maybe I'm just not clear on Armeria...I thought it had grasslike leaves that form a clump with stems that form flower heads. Am I right? One of my perennial books lists an Armeria juniperifolia...maybe I'll check that one out. Take a look at this photo to see if it's any clearer...Thanks, Guys....WZ

Thumbnail by Weezingreens
Chariton, IA(Zone 5b)

The Armeria that I have has grassy like foliage that forms clumps and the flower heads are more round and uniform. I could be wrong though.

Now it's a little clearer it does look more like Lychnis viscaria

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=www.carlnet.org/~ttsdaly/lychniscatchfly4.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.carlnet.org/~ttsdaly/lychnis4.html&h=200&w=320&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dlychnis%2Bviscaria%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26lr%3Dlang_en%26sa%3DN

The individual flowers should have 5 spaced out petals.

This message was edited Thursday, Feb 21st 8:18 PM

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yes, Baa! I think we're on to something. I'll hit the web and see if I can find a pic of the foliage...Thanks, everybody...I'll let you know..WZ

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Gee Whiz, I am such a dunce! It completely passed me by that Lychnis viscaria is "German Catchfly". That is, in fact the plant this one most reminds me of, but the size is wrong, and the leaves are a bit different. If you were to shrink German Catchfly, it would probably look much like this plant. Oh, well, I'll keep looking around and keep asking...WZ

LOL Weezingreens

Perhaps someone here has grown this and knows the name :)

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Thanks, BAA: I'll keep looking. The person who gave the seeds and the plants in the picture said she thought it was a saxifrag...what do you think?..WZ

Weezingreens

Saxifrage? OK Baa's confused here (which is no surprise). Without a closer picture it's hard to tell.

There maybe another option, Lychnis alpina which is about 6 inch tall with oblong-lance shaped leaves with dense clusters of pinkish purple flowers.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

Yeah, Baa...I'm pretty clueless at this point, so I'm reaching way out there for an answer. If you click on the pic to enlarge it, the foliage and flower clusters are pretty apparent. What isn't apparent is how small it is. It seems I tried the L. alpina and it didn't fit, but my memory fails me. Thanks for hanging in there!...WZ

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.