Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Dinu & I need your help with a hibiscus?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 6, Views: 116
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 22, 2002
5:04 PM

Post #23698

Dinu has a hibiscus he recently put in the Plants Database - his information refers to it as H. elcapitolio (or elcapitolia), and for the life of me I can't find that plant name anywhere on the web. Right now we don't have a common name for it - we can always call it "Hibiscus" but I'm hoping we can find a more specific common name for it.

I'm wondering if it perhaps has a synonym - does anyone have any ideas what it might be? (It sure is a beautiful plant, whatever we call it :)

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2002
5:38 AM

Post #217493

This variety of H has red as well as orange flowers.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2002
8:08 AM

Post #217503

the name probably was mispelled??? look @ this site... http://www.internationalhibiscussociety.org/nom_hrse1.html be sure to scroll down to see El Capitolio. hope that helps.. ma vie

Dinu

Dinu
Mysore
India
(Zone 10a)

February 25, 2002
9:57 AM

Post #217512

Full marks to MaVieRose - she has actually hit the nail on its head!! Mine is exactly the same in that picture. Not for nothing this place called DG is so obsessive :)

go_vols, you can make the necessary changes in the database. The name was printed as a single word in the ref. book and nothing now can prevent me from correcting it.

I have made the changes in the database, g0_vols.

This message was edited Monday, Feb 25th 6:31 AM
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2002
10:14 AM

Post #217520

i tried Dinu :)... lucky i guess.LOL... ma vie

Terry

Terry
Murfreesboro, TN
(Zone 7a)

February 25, 2002
11:01 AM

Post #217532

Thanks, MaVie! I don't know why it didn't occur to me that it was a variety name - I was beating the bushes looking for a species by that name. I even went to that same site, but to no avail :)

(Dinu, I put the photo with H. rosa-sinensis and added the variety name to the caption.)
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

February 25, 2002
6:57 PM

Post #217733

u're welcome Vols., it does happen sometimes ;)!

coming from the orient, i grew up knowing there are so many different varieties of certain hybrids of plant. i.e. hibiscus or plumeria. glad to help anytime... ma vie

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 21 Oct 14, 2014 11:43 AM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America