Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

SOLVED: Dinu & I need your help with a hibiscus?

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Dinu has a hibiscus he recently put in the Plants Database - his information refers to it as H. elcapitolio (or elcapitolia), and for the life of me I can't find that plant name anywhere on the web. Right now we don't have a common name for it - we can always call it "Hibiscus" but I'm hoping we can find a more specific common name for it.

I'm wondering if it perhaps has a synonym - does anyone have any ideas what it might be? (It sure is a beautiful plant, whatever we call it :)

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

This variety of H has red as well as orange flowers.

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

the name probably was mispelled??? look @ this site... http://www.internationalhibiscussociety.org/nom_hrse1.html be sure to scroll down to see El Capitolio. hope that helps.. ma vie

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Full marks to MaVieRose - she has actually hit the nail on its head!! Mine is exactly the same in that picture. Not for nothing this place called DG is so obsessive :)

go_vols, you can make the necessary changes in the database. The name was printed as a single word in the ref. book and nothing now can prevent me from correcting it.

I have made the changes in the database, g0_vols.

This message was edited Monday, Feb 25th 6:31 AM

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

i tried Dinu :)... lucky i guess.LOL... ma vie

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, MaVie! I don't know why it didn't occur to me that it was a variety name - I was beating the bushes looking for a species by that name. I even went to that same site, but to no avail :)

(Dinu, I put the photo with H. rosa-sinensis and added the variety name to the caption.)

High Desert, CA(Zone 8a)

u're welcome Vols., it does happen sometimes ;)!

coming from the orient, i grew up knowing there are so many different varieties of certain hybrids of plant. i.e. hibiscus or plumeria. glad to help anytime.... ma vie

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.