SOLVED: Bulb, yes, what kind? I don't know.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Any ideas? We found it growing with a bunch of daffodils by an abandoned house. (Yes, we had permission to dig). :)

Thumbnail by smiln32

Looks like a Hyacinthoides (Scilla) - Bluebell, possibly H. non scripta, but that is just a guess.

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

Hyacinthicus/Hyacinthus, Galtonia, or Scilla..? (possibly Scilla tubergiana, or non-scripta..)

Deep South Coastal, TX(Zone 10a)

Baa, would that be the same thing as Spanish Bluebells/wood hyacinths?

Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

haha... baa answered at the same time when I was-- :>

Cala

H non-scripta (Bluebell) is a smaller plant than H hispanica (Spanish Bluebell) same genus same level of invasiveness LOL. H non-scripta has flowers only on one side of the stem and is scented. H hispanica has flowers all round the stem and is unscented. The bulbs in the shops are often a hybrid between the two species, they are fairly promiscuous in my garden too! I seem to dig masses of them up from the front garden every year.

LOL Evert yes we did!

Wow! You folks are good. I'm amazed. (humble bowing in your presence)... :)

Baa, if you ever want to get rid of some of yours, you just let me know. I think they are adorable. We only found one the other day. I fell in love with it.

~Carla

Smilin

They are beautiful and to be honest they flower here when very little else does (May). Rest assured where there is one bluebell there will be thousands in just a few short years LOL. I'll post a pic on this forum for you :)

(rubbing hands together in anticipation) Thanks, Baa.

Gulfport, MS(Zone 8a)

i could be way off here, but here goes. after looking at the hyacinth blooming in my yard today, i noticed that some of them look exactly like these, including the foliage.
i did some research on them a few days ago because i noticed that some of them had only a few blooms instead of the typical mass. from what i can understand, after a few blooming seasons, they no longer bloom like they do when first planted and that its best to replace them.
im wondering if this is a really old hyacinth and has just passed its peak blooming and now only shows a few of what once was.
possible?
jen

It's perfectly possibly MsJen, the modern cultivars are all derived from Hyacinthus orientalis, so there is no reason why it can't be a revsion to type. That's the problem with identifying from pics, we can make an educated guess but not always an exact one.

This one was dug up from an abandoned house, so I have no doubt it had been there for years and years. The house is now situated in the middle of a business district and is doomed to "progress". These bulbs have been there for ages, I'm sure.

Do you have a picture of the bulb Smilin?

I can get one. I've already put them in a pot, but they've already been interrupted once, I'm sure they won't mind it again. :)

Hanover, PA(Zone 6a)

we have some wild hyacinth in the area that are white and the flowers look like that. if it has been there for year and ignored you might be suprised the next time it blooms.

Oh, some more of these little gems are blooming and WOW! The scent is tantalizing. Wonderful and so potent.

I'm posting another photo of this flower with a bulb. Maybe that will help. Here's the link. Thanks.

http://davesgarden.com/showthread/206285.html

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.