Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Container Gardening: Containers are Ready!

Communities > Forums > Container Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Container GardeningReplies: 13, Views: 474
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 1, 2002
4:52 PM

Post #24114

I've gotten all my containers emptied and washed/sterilized and ready to go another year. Some just got a 1/2 soil change, like the lilum bulbs that I grow on the deck. A few I have filled with soil and sowed the seeds that will grow in them. The others are patiently waiting to be filled.

Anyone else getting ready for spring? Here on the Bay in MD we only have about 5 weeks until last frost. :) That is if Mother Nature cooperates, LOL.
Smockette
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 2, 2002
6:10 AM

Post #220499

Did you plant any Philippine Lily?
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 2, 2002
12:58 PM

Post #220569

Jody, I got containers going in every room in the house...now we're having another winter storm with extremely low temps, and ice and snow! Man, I think my garden is gonna establish itself inside...LOL...new form of interior decorating!!

"eyes"
jody
MD &, VA
(Zone 7b)

March 2, 2002
4:16 PM

Post #220623

Smockette
Haven't planted any philippine lily yet.

Eyes I feel for you! This darn weather just doesn't know what it wants to do. 70 one day and 35 the next...sheesh.
I like that new form of interior decorating, hehehehe!!! My front room is starting to look like a jungle since the greenhouse is full, LOL.
DaleP6
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2002
2:43 AM

Post #231017

I'm getting ready to store most of my containers after five months of enjoyment...it will be too hot here soon! Oh how I envy you guys who are just getting geared up. I may try to find some plants that will last a bit but the selection is scarce. Have fun!
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2002
11:18 AM

Post #231087

Too cold here too and a severe frost last night!! My containers are not nearly ready!! Dale I would think that you could grow some wonderful Mediterranean plants such as the silver leaved Convulvolus cneorum - my favourite of all time. Combined with pot geraniums they would just bask in that Florida sunshine or would the humidity pose a problem I wonder!! I would certainly give it a try!!
eyesoftexas
Toadsuck, TX
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2002
12:34 PM

Post #231112

I don't think humidity would be the problem...however direct heat might well be. Can you give them a spot with filtered sunlight?

"eyes"
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2002
4:12 PM

Post #231171

Jerrie why would the direct sun be a problem when these plants are the mainstay of countries like Malta, Cyprus, Italy, Spain etc etc :-) Know what I mean jelly bean!!!
DaleP6
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2002
5:41 PM

Post #231197

We're on the right track...more info, more info!!! These will be in pots in light shade...will only get direct sun late in the date and then lightly filtered. You guys have given me hope!!!
DaleP6
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 23, 2002
5:47 PM

Post #231200

Convulvolus cneorum...I can't find any info on this...is the spelling correct? I really thank you for you ideas and want to get started before it gets even hotter!
Sis

March 23, 2002
5:52 PM

Post #231204

Thought I'd see what all the commotion was on this thread,lol' My containers are ready,bulbs are up and setting blooms,now snow for Monday,huh? I'll just cover them again(3rd time)with leaves'

Dale,I'm thinking succulents/geraniums/coreopsis/mugo pines/cannas/roses etc."all heat lovers" too'
louisa
Troy, VA
(Zone 7a)

March 23, 2002
5:56 PM

Post #231206

Dale California has a Mediterranean type climate for these plants but we are talking about them as they would grow and survive in those gardens. When we talk of container gardening we can create the type of conditions these plants thrive on. Don't be overwhelmed when you see the list of these plants on this site. I grew the cistus in England and they are amongst my favourites :-)

http://www.pharmakobotanik.de/gallery/mediterr.htm

And how's about this for a lovely garden:-

http://www.support.net/Medit-Plants/photos/Cali132-3255.html

This message was edited Saturday, Mar 23rd 2:01 PM
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 25, 2002
12:32 AM

Post #231807

Dale I think the correct spelling is Convolvulus cneorum.
Sugar_fl
DaleP6
Sarasota, FL
(Zone 9b)

March 25, 2002
1:21 AM

Post #231854

Thank you everyone for all the info...this forum is really amazing...ask and ye shall be answered! Now I'll have something to do when it's too hot for me to garden much of anything and you all are out planting your hearts out...don't disappear with the snow now!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Container Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Growing tomatoes upside down BittysGarden 112 Jul 19, 2009 5:51 AM
Raspberry Plants in Containers MummyOF4dolls 23 Mar 27, 2012 4:00 PM
Flower Pouches? nathalyn 80 Sep 11, 2008 10:49 PM
Growin' bags kwells 53 Aug 24, 2008 3:12 PM
How to make papercrete containers. Tomtom 424 Oct 13, 2014 10:48 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America