Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Orange Morning Glory

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 368
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
talinum
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 8, 2002
10:18 PM

Post #24576

I received some seeds called Orange Morning Glory or Noah Morning Glory. I would like more information and the scientific name. Here is a picture. http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=535509&uid=405962&members=1
Hope someone can help me and thanks.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2002
2:27 AM

Post #223913

I grew those last year and beware they will ramble and put out a million seeds...I dread to see what a montsrocity that grows this year from these...I will be plucking seedlings all year...

Cheers,
Rebecca
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2002
11:44 AM

Post #223995

talinum, grow it in a pot, but try not to let it go to seed. (easier said than done)
it's pretty, grown up around a pole in a pot, but I had one that is still sprouting seeds after 5 years from moving it. I pull them all summer. My DH loves it, but now we've learned it's habits we know what to do with it!
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2002
11:55 AM

Post #223999

I believe the latin name is ipomoea coccinea var. hederacea. ~ A cross of I.coccinea (which has small red flowers & heart shaped leaves) x I.hederacea (the ivy-leafed morning glory).
talinum
Kearney, NE
(Zone 5a)

March 9, 2002
1:40 PM

Post #224056

Thanks for your help! I will have to be careful with it. Do you think the seeds will winter over in zone 5? I looked up Ipomoea hederacea in my Weeds of Nebraska book and there it was. Could be worse, it could be bindweed.
TraciS
Temple, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 11, 2002
8:36 PM

Post #225257

Well, I have this and I started looking it up last year and I found a website about it and can't remember where it was, but it is also called Scarlett Creeper Morning Glory. It does look alot like a cardinal climber or a cypress vine other than the leaves. I really like mine. I let it grow up my gutter and so it stayed there and I have it growing on a bank. I like it. And it is really pretty with it's yellow center. It is very hardy and you do need to be careful about where u plant it. I let mine seed off so that I could cover my Georgia red clay bank. It will help keep down erosion.

Thanks, Traci S
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 13, 2002
10:31 PM

Post #226337

The hummingbirds just love this one, and for me at least it's not as bad a spreader as some. AND it bloomed well for me without a lot of sun!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2002
11:59 AM

Post #228951

http://www.exoticplants.org.uk/morning_glory_introduction.html
Wingnut
Spicewood, TX
(Zone 8b)

March 20, 2002
3:42 PM

Post #229564

I've seen your morning glory, but couldn't add anything to the informative answers you've already been given. :-) BUT I thought your gourd looked like a cross between a dipper gourd and a caveman's club. If you got the seeds from someone else or saved them from last year there's really no telling with absolute certainty ~ gourds cross so easily, are looser than barflies! LOL!

Larkie

Larkie
Camilla, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2002
4:17 AM

Post #231968

They grow wild here in south GA, and oh boy...Cannot get rid of them, at least they are pretty, but they cover here about like kudzu...lol
Larkie
BittysGarden

(Zone 7a)

March 25, 2002
5:42 AM

Post #231987

ok,i like them,the orange mg. anyone want to trade
for some grandpa ott's or mixed morning glory or
anything on my trade page? Thanks.
imaseedpicker

(Zone 8a)

March 25, 2002
10:27 PM

Post #232263

Bitty1,

I have seeds for sase if you would send me an email for addy!

Cheers!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America