Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Lotus question

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 16, Views: 260
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2002
12:19 PM

Post #24597

I bought a lotus last year in a huge tub. Is it too late to divide the tubers? It's been very warm here for the last couple of weeks. I can't remember the name, it was Charles something I think. It was named after a man.
CountryBumkin
Kingston, GA
(Zone 7b)

March 9, 2002
6:14 PM

Post #224163

Calalily, I was told the best time to split the tubers was in the early spring but I have never done it. I am too scared to mess with my Lotus (even tho it probably needs it) because it has done so well for me the last 4 years. I know I need to do it tho because I am having less blooms now. This site is short and to the point but will get you started.
http://www.lawrence.com/features/gardening/lily_propag.html
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2002
8:56 PM

Post #224248

you should do it before it sprouts. Now is perfect! don't be scared, I did it last year. just try not to break them and don't let them get dry. I posted a link last summer on here, will have to search, but it's easy and you can do it.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2002
9:06 PM

Post #224251

Cala, the web site I used to go to isn't there anymore, but I found this, halfway down page, and he has a picture. http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/ponds/msg0219364222381.html?7
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 9, 2002
10:58 PM

Post #224292

Thanks guys, I will give it a try!! Tig, I've got the lotus you gave me on a heat mat in a water garden. It's got sprouts!!
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 9, 2002
11:34 PM

Post #224312

are you kidding??????? cool!!! Cala, just dump your pot upside down, that's why it's important to do it before it sprouts, you can't break the growing tips. If I can do it, you won't blink an eye!!!
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 10, 2002
12:17 AM

Post #224335

Tig, I might give it a try, but the tub they are in holds about 30 gallons of water. I don't know if I can lift it to turn it over!! It's got dirt about a third of the way up and the rest is water. That's how the man I bought them from sells them. He charges $50 for a big tub with the lotus in it and it's blooming when you get it.
tiG
Newnan, GA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2002
2:43 AM

Post #224404

I know exactly what you're talking about. Ours is like that, and was down in the pond, hubby had to lift it out! Just tip it to get the water out, or dip the water out but try not to let it fall, jarring can bust the tubers. I'm very serious, if we can do this, you can. And then you have lotus to sell!! it's Charles Thomas, isn't it?? can't get Charles Grimaldi out of my mind now that I do brugs!! just make sure you put all babies in round tubs.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2002
3:50 AM

Post #224428

may i politely intrude into ur conversation ladies? :)

here is a link for water plants http://www.nhg.com/db/iwatnam.htm sorry no picture just descriptions. some are variegated, i know Cala's attention will be interested with the variegated ones LOL!

here another one to shop around or just get a colored catalog... http://www.lilyblooms.com/index.html

Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

March 10, 2002
3:09 PM

Post #224557

MaVie, you just HAD to show me that didn't you??
Tig, yes it's the Charles Thomas and like you I kept thinking Charles Grimaldi!! I think I have brug brain really bad!!
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2002
3:50 PM

Post #224576

so sorry Cala :(. i didn't mean anything bad! i just knew u were into variegated plants. taking that into consideration, i though u'd be interested. besides... i took note also of the discount offers.

so sorry, i hope i didn't ruin ur day. i will try to make it up to U some other way... ma vie
lacemosaic
Hampton, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2002
12:48 PM

Post #242824

I had some dwarf lotus in a huge iron washtub. Had not divided them in 10 years! 3 of us turned it over and scooped out the mud. Finally figured out the best way to do it, to keep from breaking the lotus, was to put the hose on "jet stream" and wash the mud away to expose the tubers. I was covered in mud, but it was fun.
joydie1
Hamilton
Canada

April 14, 2002
1:36 PM

Post #242857

Lacemosiac,

I have an old fashioned washtub sitting in the basement. I think I'll get it out and use it for an indoor pond...nice idea for wintering my tender pond plants.

Joydie
Calalily
Deep South Coastal, TX
(Zone 10a)

April 14, 2002
2:26 PM

Post #242883

MaVie, you didn't ruin my day, lol. Now I just have to have more plants, but my watergardens are full!! That's what I meant, not a bad thing. Keep showing me these plants and DH won't have a sprig of grass to mow, but the money we save on lawn products I will have to spend on plants.
MaVieRose
High Desert, CA
(Zone 8a)

April 14, 2002
2:48 PM

Post #242899

Cala... i know what u mean about the grass to be mowed. at my old house, which history by now, i've converted the lawn to cacti & succulent haven. let me know and i will try my best... am not one who gives up easy on doing research :)! this hobby sure is very addictive LOL!!!
lacemosaic
Hampton, GA
(Zone 7b)

April 14, 2002
5:13 PM

Post #242943

Joydie...I was worried that keeping water in it would make it rust away. But it's had water in it at least 10 yrs. and is holding up fine.
joydie1
Hamilton
Canada

April 15, 2002
2:30 PM

Post #243457

Sounds good to me LaceMosiac. Gosh, now I remember when I was about 3 years old we spent the summer out west on my grandparents farm. Now mind you that was back in the early 50's so its a longggggg time ago. My grandmother used to let us have a "summer bath" in the wash tub outside, some sort of grey metal. The water was from a rain barrel and she made her own soap. I used to stay in the tub until I got so wrinkled that she would have to make a little fire and wrap me up in one of her quilts.

Joydie

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America