Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Soil and Composting: Soil amendments'

Communities > Forums > Soil and Composting
bookmark
Forum: Soil and CompostingReplies: 6, Views: 276
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sis

March 10, 2002
3:05 PM

Post #24654

This message was edited Friday, Apr 5th 10:04 PM
Brook
Richmond, KY
(Zone 6b)

March 10, 2002
4:07 PM

Post #224581

Sis,

Why those two, in particular?

I don't know about barley, but with alfalfa you better be prepared to deep till. It has a strong root system. Farms, which will be plowed, can use it. But I don't think it makes sense for a home garden myself.

Also, if you're growing any of these as a green manure, why does it matter if the rabbits eat 'em? They'll merely exchange the green manure for real manure, so it's a trade-off.
Sis

March 10, 2002
4:22 PM

Post #224585

)

This message was edited Friday, Apr 5th 10:05 PM
Greenwood
Bonifay, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 10, 2002
11:17 PM

Post #224774

Sis I have tryed this and had good results. This is a bit long.
"""" ALFALFA and TRIACONTANOL as a plant stimulant (from a lecture by D. L. Hinerman, MD)

For more than 50 years, alfalfa has been used as a plant stimulant. The responsible chemical for this action is triacontanol which is ubiquitous, occurring widely in nature as a waxy coating on many plants and as a major component of beeswax. Triacontanol has been called "the most potent growth hormone ever used on plants."

One of the best sources of triacontanol is the extraction from alfalfa hay (medicago sativa) in one of the following ways:
1. soad 5 tablets (500 to 600 mg of compressed alfalfa purchased from natural food stores) in one gallon of water for 24 hours. Agitate, drench plants with mixture as many as five times during the growing season.

2 Add 2-3 cupfuls of alfalfa meal (purchased from farm food stores, being careful that the meal has not been denatured by high heat) to one yard of soil or growing media.

2. use alfalfa meal or chopped alfalfa has as a light mulch or top dressing to soil around plants and apply water.

3. use potent solvents. The resultant solution is much too concentrated. Only a small trace can be used (0.01 cc); not recommended for average grower.

Beneficial results as as follows:
1. Early breaking of dormancy
2. Doubling of weight of plants in one year
3. Up to three years of growth in one growing season
4. Root system greatly increases
5. Possible stimulation of mycorrhize and reported inhibition of pathogenic organism
6. Doubling of number and size of flower buds, flowers and seeds
7. Much improved quality of growth with increased number, thickness and color of leaves.

I have used alfalfa and its active principle triacontanol on all plants that I have grown with excellent results. The above article was submitted to the Great Lakes Regional Editor for publication in the fall edition - 1993, page 9. This region is part of the AHS. Article submitted by Clarence Owens of Jackson, MI and is now being reprinted with his permission.

We currently are using alfalfa meal (standard 17% animal food) in fifty pound bag on all our prennial plantings and have been doing so for over eight years. We feel that the use of alfalfa meal has played an important part in our plants growing to tremendous size. We also seem to be finding a tremendous number of sports. So you suppose - just maybe - this alfalfa meal may have something to do with that? """
Sis

March 11, 2002
11:41 AM

Post #225045

Thanks GW,knew there was more to it '

This message was edited Friday, Apr 5th 10:06 PM
Sari
Saint Helen, MI
(Zone 5a)

March 12, 2002
4:16 AM

Post #225454

Greenwood any idea how I can get a copy of that report. I would like to try using it.
Greenwood
Bonifay, FL
(Zone 8a)

March 12, 2002
4:53 AM

Post #225467

Sari I have it on my note pad I can e-mail it to you if you will send your address.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Soil and Composting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Clay poppysue 16 Oct 21, 2013 3:56 PM
Free compost, myth or truth JaiMarye 14 Oct 27, 2010 6:58 AM
Who Bakes Dirt 76summerwind 29 Apr 4, 2008 6:22 PM
sterilizing options tiG 22 Mar 29, 2008 7:47 PM
Soil & Fertilizer: Compost Tea SoCal 119 Mar 5, 2008 11:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America