-
AuthorContent
kat
Endicott, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 27, 2001
4:20 AM

Post #2882

Does anyone know how to propagate the common artichoke that's found in the produce section of the grocery store to make a gorgeous houseplant with large purple flowers? I just heard that this could be done, I just can't figure out how!
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2001
12:57 PM

Post #62776

kat, I tried to find some very specific information about this for you but couldn't. Sorry. :( I have gardening class today and I'll ask my instructor if he can tell me. I did read that artichokes grown from seeds don't always do very well and that they're better if propagated by root divisions.

Terri
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 28, 2001
12:59 PM

Post #62777

BTW, if you do grow an artichoke plant and don't pick the "globe", they do open into purple flowers that are quite beautiful. I have some growing outside at my house...but I usually eat all mine, naturally. LOL
George
Valinda, CA
(Zone 10a)

March 28, 2001
7:33 PM

Post #62886

Years ago I bought a packet of seeds from Thompson & Morgan. I got 102 seeds and ended up with 99 plants. Many went into a spot that had too much shade but did I ever end up with artichokes. Spring planted 'chokes will bloom in the fall. Over-wintered plants bloom in the spring.

I could not find out how many blossoms to expect per plant but found that I got 10 to 15. For a time I had a dozen people over each weekend for all the artichokes they could eat.

When I do not cut the blossoms I get a few seedss. They keep propagating themselves.

Since the ones in the grocery store were cut before the blossom opened I doubt that you will have any luck there. Also the seedlings produced many 'chokes that have a large thorn at the tip of each leaf on the bud. I have noticed that these have fewer bugs in the blossom. Earwigs love to get between the leaves (or are they called scales?).
Pete2
Richmond Hill, GA
(Zone 8b)

March 29, 2001
1:31 PM

Post #63147

George, which variey of artichoke did you plant from seed? How long after sowing the seed did you get an artichoke to eat? Thanks for the help. :)

Terri
kat
Endicott, NY
(Zone 5a)

March 30, 2001
2:46 AM

Post #63360

Ok- thanks for your help everyone- next question- does anyone have any artichoke seeds?:)
Zanymuse
Scotia, CA
(Zone 9b)

March 30, 2001
7:27 AM

Post #63374

Kat I bought a dried artichoke flower at my local craft store. It supplied me with seed and so far it looks like more than 20 are going to grow. they are just now showing their first true leaves. I do not know if they will fruit or not but I really love the look of their leaves in the garden. I also have a couple plants that are from roots I bought. Only one bloomed last year and the humming birds fed on it so much that I doubt I ever have the heart to cut one down !
But I do not know how they will do as house plants. Let us know how it works out for you.

This message was edited Friday, Mar 30th 3:30 AM

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Propagation Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
rooting bamboo justmeLisa 14 Oct 19, 2010 10:25 AM
Propogating Aucuba dave 17 Apr 25, 2008 8:36 PM
crepe myrtle venessa 54 Jul 1, 2008 4:11 AM
Top 10 Easiest to Grow from Cuttings kmom246 281 Jun 13, 2011 9:12 AM
Stella d'Oro seeds, how to start? Melissa 26 Feb 26, 2009 12:30 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America