March 27, 2001

Fayette, MO(Zone 6a)

Well, tried to log on this crazy computer about twenty times last night. Kept getting a busy signal. Have about decided to go with another server. Geeezz. So went to bed early and even slept through my SMS girls getting into the FINAL FOUR! Whoohoooo.....
Anyway, about 10 minutes ago I hear a chicken squawking in terror. Skittles the incredible farm dog was sleeping right through this. Anyway, I let the dog off the porch, she corners a very large coon, hair standing up on her back, hubby gets gun, loads it, gets to the door, turns around three times and goes back inside to get something warmer on, finally gets the gun loaded and goes outside to get this dang coon. With coon dead and heart pumping who could sleep? So here I am posting journal early.
Patty, love your pics! I want Jersey cows. My retirement plans include these kinda cows. Simply beautiful. Where did you get yours? How many do you have?
I talked to Catherine. Her mother has been having it pretty rough. She (Catherine)is thinking about starting some seeds in her greenhouse. Still pretty cold there -- like just about everywhere right now it seems!
Better go try and relax and go back to sleep. It's up early around here to feed calves and then off to my 8-5. It has actually been pretty slow there. A nice relief for a change.

Baker City, OR(Zone 5b)

Good morning KathyJo. It's cold here too, 24*, light wind. I've just come from checking for new lambs, the ladies are all smart and not having any babies tonight. Yesterday was a wild day, no time to get on the computer. First thing after chores and breakfast the farrier came to put shoes on the 2 endurance horses. As soon as he left I hopped in the old pickup to go help some friends move. Two stock trailer loads and 3 pickup loads later, and after a "thanks for helping" stop at Burger King, I got home after dark (drove through a little snow squall on my way home) to do chores and get some sleep before lamb duty. KJo, it sounds like your server and ours have the same equipment, I have a lot of problems like that, sometimes it tells me the line is busy and 30 seconds later there is no answer. Or the server cannot be found (now how basic is this???) or it disconnects me and I get a navigation cancelled message. And this is supposed to be the best outfit around here. One of the reasons we are with a local server is so we don't have a long distance phone call charge every time we log on. So I guess we just put up with it. They got some new equipment last week and were unavailable most of one night for installation, but I only see a little improvement. They keep adding new phone lines and it gets better for a month then back to frustration. Sometimes we can't get internet or email for most of a day. Grrrrr! Ok, I think I'm warm now so it's time to get back to bed and see if I can get a few more hours sleep to go with the 3 I got earlier. Hope all you farmers have a good day, count your blessings.

(Zone 7a)

Good morning.
I was reading about the raccoon and was thinking how differently people are affected by these little critters. To some they are worse than having rats. To others they are quite entertaining and worth the mess they can make.
I have been rehabilitating them for several years now and having raised them has only heightened my interest in them. They are not only an extremely inteligent animal, but they are also capable of emotion.
I had a raccoon get a finger stuck in a nearby wire cage and when I tried to free it it bit my hand and wouldnt let go. I calmed it and it let me go. I got the hand free and it ran up into its crate. I went over and yelled at it and it made a crying noise and layed on its back and covered its eyes while it continued its crying sound. I talked nicely to it and it got up, climbed up on me and put its arms around my neck and squeezed--a hug perhaps? It then licked my neck.
I am not saying its wrong to kill the cuties if they ruin the quality of your life, but it sadens me to hear that they get themselves into the trouble in the first place.
Janice

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Top of the morning to you, KathyJo, Mary, and Janice! Brrrrrrrr. It's quite chilly here on the coast this morning. Low last night was in the 30's and today's high should make to mid 50's I hope. After I get my Dave's Garden "fix" for the morning (LOL), I'm headed over to the Bamboo Farm up the Hwy to pick strawberries. Not just any strawberries but the BEST strawberries I've ever eaten on my life anywhere. Yummy! Then I'm coming home to make a strawberry pie for dinner topped with real whipped cream. I'll save you ladies a piece. ;) Have a great day!!!

Terri

(Zone 7a)

Hi Terri
I would be excited about your weather if it were mine. I wont be getting out of the 30s today. I feel like my skin is just going to blow away!! We had a couple inches of snow yesterday and its still here because of the snow. Just hoping the sun is strong enough to get rid of that stuff. We are really below average in temp and I hope it blows on thru.
Off to work
Janice

Morning all. We hit 24.1 degrees last night and so far almost all my plants have survived. I lost at least 2 cauliflower/broccoli plants but so far it looks like that's about it. Yesterday evening I went out and covered all my plants with about 3 feet of hay, and it looks like it worked. Unfortunately, I can't cover up our fruit trees, and the blooms are already showing signs of stress. I think they're gonna fall off as soon as it warms up a bit more and these guys thaw. :(

Also woke up to find that our window-unit heater in our other house (the one I use as my office/growing room) had broken from working too hard during the night. It's cold cold in here and I need to go to Wal-Mart and look for a replacement heater. In the meantime, I've borrowed Trish's kerosine heater so at least our hundreds of plants don't die.

Tonight we're supposed to see record lows again, but then it warms up to the 70s for the rest of the week. Maybe these couple days here are winter's last laugh against us, and then we'll be clear for the rest of the year.

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Mo'nin' ya'll...Hey KJO! (long time no see,eh?) sounds like quite a way to wake up! Need a good barbeque recipe for that critter? (No offence meant Janice, I certainly understand your perspective also...you sound like you have a good way with animals.) And goodness gracious Pete2!! How come you're saving the strawberry pie just for the ladies? Unfair! I love them strawberries! "Why, I remember my very first strawberry...as it approached my face..." well, better not get me started. ;)

Guess what folks. It is now official, I really do have a hole in my head. In a minute or so I'm off for an hour drive to pick up a surprise for our family (wife and DD don't know about it yet.) A miniature Dachshund, 6 wks old! Our oldest dog, Cassie, died from cancer on Labor Day and I've been looking for a puppy ever since (our other dog has really been clinging to us without her friend Cassie). Anyway, came across this puppy that needs a loving home so here I go off on another adventure in life! (Like I need more animals around here!) Hope to be back in time to take her to the school when I pick up DD and show the whole class (only 7 seven yr olds in the class). Oh Happy Day...!

Good luck with the new doggy Horseshoe!! Your little one will be tickled pink! Those dachsies are fun, aren't they?

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

Richmond Hill, GA(Zone 8b)

Of course I'll save a piece of strawberry pie for you gents! Forgive my manners please!!! But hey, I'll make it up to you guys with a little humor that I know you'll appreciate. LOL Don't worry ladies, I haven't something to make you chuckle, too!!! But ladies go first, naturally!LOL

The Rules According To Women

THE RULES (*) For those of you who don't already know, these are the rules that are in effect in every relationship.

1) The female always makes the rules.

2) These rules are subject to change at any time without prior notification.

3) No male can possibly know all the rules.

4) If the female suspects that the male knows all the rules, she must immediately change some or all of the rules.

5) The female is never wrong.

6) If the female is wrong it is because of a vagrant misunderstanding which was a direct result of something the male said or did wrong.

7) If rule number six applies, the male must immediately apologize for causing the misunderstanding.

8) The female can change her mind at any given point in time.

9) The male must never change his mind without express written consent of the female.

10) The female has every right to be angry or upset at any time.

11) The male must remain calm at all times, unless the female wants him to be angry or upset.

12) The female must under no circumstances let the male know whether she wants him to be calm, angry or upset.

13) Any attempt to document these rules could result in bodily harm.

Okay guys, it's your turn!!! LOL

Marriage Quotes From Men

1) I married Miss Right. I just didn't know her first name was Always.

2) It's not true that married men live longer than single men. It only seems longer.

3) A man was complaining to a friend: 'I had it all - money, a beautiful house,a big car, the love of a beautiful woman; then, Pow! it was all gone!' 'What happened?' asked the friend. 'My wife found out...'

4) Wife: Let's go out and have some fun tonight. Husband: Okay, but if you get home before I do, leave the hallway light on.

5) How many men does it take to open a beer? None. It should be opened by the time she brings it to the couch.

6) Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street bald and still think they are beautiful!

7) I haven't spoken to my wife for 18 months-I don't like to interrupt her.

8) If a man speaks in the forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

9) If your ex-wife and her lawyer were drowning and you had to choose, would you go to lunch or to a movie?

10) A man is incomplete until he is married. After that, he is finished.

Bay City, MI(Zone 6a)

morning here too,
Mostly cloudy and cold with snowflakes floating around!=[
The weatherman said we will be lucky to hit freezing for our high-lovely! But Erie Pa. now theres a place I wouldnt want to be..lots of snow and still getting accumilation! Ours in mid-mich has melted-leaving only a trace in the shade.
Kjo-I understand what a pain those lil guys can be and the damage the can cause.
Janice they are cute-my hubby had some as pets but they get into everything!
mary you are one buisy lady! you go girl!
Strawberries-fresh ones-yummmmmmy I have some cornflakes here-thats just what they need! My sis lives in GA! Enjoy them Terri!
Dave we watched the weather channel last night and I saw that you were under a freeze warning in the south/Looked like Lisa was in the safer zone! My hubby said your fruit trees would proably get damaged-Happens almost every year to our apricot tree-a freeze in May! Good luck-the weather is unreal this year already!
Horeshoe thats sound so nice-I bet they will be so surprised and happy! =]
Patty, thats just how I feel too + my knee is killing me this a.m.-getting old stinks, especially when my mind is so far behind my body in age! I dont want to grow up!
Well I need to get my lil buns busy...take a pill and get on with the cleaning!
everyone have a WARM & HAPPY tuesday!
dori

southeast, NE

Good morning all! Looks like everyone is having a busy day. I will take two pieces of strawberry pie - ummmm! Terri - good ones!

Dh hauled 11 culled ewes to sale barn last night. We received .33 a lb for them. The price had been higher but we've also received as low as .15 so won't complain. It will help put a little dent in our property tax bill due the end of the month.

Horseshoe - a new baby! Have fun!

Supposed to get to 40's today - seems warm but is below norm for the year.

The garage door was left open yesterday - noticed some "smart pills" on the floor so a rabbit or the lambs must have been checking "things" out.

You all have a good day!

[ Removed per member request. - Admin]

southeast, NE

Patty, fat lambs have been bring .80 a lb - feeders - 1.00+. I worry about the "scrapie" affecting market. If the Mexican borders are open, culled ewes bring more. Yes - we've sold some goats and received better price.

This is why we are hoping to sell more show lambs this year. We have quite a few black lambs and have had several people tell us their children want to buy lambs from us because they are black and speckled.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

Been sitting at this *&*# computer since 5 a.m. this morning doing last minute QA and writing documentation for the new software rollout... it's 6:30 pm and I'm beat. Physically I could go on, but I sure would have preferred to hang out in the sunshine today.

I'm putting together a screen saver (PC only :-( with pics of some of our spring flowers - cherry blossoms, lupine, Calif. poppy and whatever else I scrounge up. I'll let y'all know when it's posted.

So good to read all of your posts! Reminds me that there are people out there who are in touch with the seasons and the cycles of life. It's dark out, so I'll miss seeing the calves and their mommies. Many of the first set of calves have already gone to market. The next set looks like they're filling out well :-) I try to be reverent when I eat my hamburgers - and appreciate those bovines for their sacrafice. At least it looks like they have happy cow lives on the ranches that I pass. Still cracks me up to see these big-ol' calves frolicking like spring lambs!

Well, take care everyone.

Karla

As I sit and stare at these "process flow charts" and re-validate the form updates and security, I dream of the day when I'm gonna get to worry about calving dates and cow patties, and chickens and raccoons and fences and tomatoes... Thanks again, everyone, for helping me keep the dreams alive.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images