Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Are these weeds or flowers?

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 9, Views: 212
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 16, 2002
4:50 AM

Post #24983

Last spring we planted quite a few wildflowers along our house. They did very poorly. Now there is plants coming up & I don't know what they are. Maybe they needed stratification. Can anyone tell me if these pix are weeds or plants? It would be nice to have names of plants but not important. I haven't cleaned the beds out yet & don't want to pull up plants. I know a few weeds but they aren't the main subject in the pixs. The pass word to the album is sugar_fl
(hard isn't it ;)
http://www.photoisland.com/servlet/GuestLogin?USERNAME=sugar_fl

Sugar_fl

Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 16, 2002
6:22 AM

Post #227400

Sugar_fl: From what I can see, you have quite a few nice ones. For biennials, you have forget-me-not, sweet rocket, and sweet william. For perennials, you have yarrow, and perhaps silene. English daisy is also a possibility. I could swear I saw a little cranesbill leaf in there, as well. If the biennials came up last year, they'll bloom this year, then die, but they should reseed for you.

I'd leave them where they are , or transplant them where you want them. But, if allowed a space of their own, they should afford you many years of beauty, whether by wintering over or by reseeding.
poppysue
Westbrook, ME
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2002
12:19 PM

Post #227442

Here's what I saw

1 - sweet william
2 - hawkweed and an evening primrose
3 - silene (catchfly) [maybe]
4 - sweet william
5 - catchfly again [maybe forget-me-nots at the bottom of the pic]
6 - yarrow
7 - ?? - I'd think that was a weed... but not sure
8 - maybe some shata daisy in there
9 - hawkweed
10 - maybe evening primrose & another hawkweed
11 - not sure - it almost looks like sheeps sorrel but the leaves look silver?
12 - Evening primrose - I think
13 - not sure

I guess it also depends what you'd concider a weed. Is it a meadow type of planting or did you want it to be more of a garden and keep it neat? I'd pull out the hawkweed and evening primrose... But some people like them.
Linnea
Tilton, NH
(Zone 4a)

March 16, 2002
12:27 PM

Post #227447

Here's what I saw and knew...I used the numbers off the pictures, not sure how it corresponds with poppysue's numbers
Plants 8 and 5, Evening Primrose
Plant 2 Yarrow
Plant 1 Coreopsis

I didn't see any that jumped out and said "weed", and saw several that look familiar, but no names. Good luck!
Baa

March 16, 2002
4:11 PM

Post #227524

Could 11 and 13 be a type of Centaurea?
motts1
south central, WI
(Zone 5a)

March 16, 2002
5:54 PM

Post #227578

I think #11 is what I would call a cornflower or batchelor button-generally blue re-seeding annual.
MsBatt
Florence, AL
(Zone 7a)

March 17, 2002
2:38 AM

Post #227840

It's only a weed if it's growing where you don't want it. I've learned the hard way to NEVER pull anything up until I know for certain it's something I don't want. The first year I have any Dame's Rocket my mother persuaded me to pull up nearly every one of them. When the two or three I'd left bloomed the next year, Boy! was her face red.
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2002
3:16 AM

Post #227863

Sugar_fl: These are great photos, and some might be a nice addition to the database, at least those we can positively identify, so that the next time someone needs to identify seedlings, the info will be available to them.
Sugar_fl
montgomery, AL
(Zone 7b)

March 17, 2002
3:28 AM

Post #227878

WZ,
Did U get my E-mail? I'd be happy to do that but gotta figure out how. I have never added any. Maybe I can get them identified with the great help here. I hope the cranesbill U think U see isn't a common weed here on the farm. Maybe it would help if I put on a pix of our VERY common weed. I know some is in that bed.
Sugar_fl
Weezingreens
Seward, AK
(Zone 3b)

March 17, 2002
4:25 AM

Post #227904

Do you already have the photos saved in the jpeg format? If so, you can add them through the data base. There is a place at the top of each entry. For instance, I'm sure about the yarrow (achillea) #104611681g, 6 of 13. You could look up achillea millefolium in the data base, then click on additions or whatever it's called. You can enter your photo from there using the browser. Give it a try!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 9 Jun 23, 2014 4:57 AM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America