SOLVED: Purple native

This guy is starting to come up everywhere, trying to take over my garden and everywhere else! The flowers are tiny (less than 1/4 inch) and deep purple. Reminds me of a salvia.

Anyway, it's pretty.

Dave

Thumbnail by dave
Helsinki, Finland(Zone 4b)

I think is it the little native to the southern states plant... called chicken, or hen something.. =)

FSH, TX

Definity reminds me of a salvia...how many species of salvia are their by the way?

Dave! This is what I thought... Henbit: http://images.google.com/images?q=Lamium%20amplexicaule%20&hl=fi&ie=ISO-8859-1&oe=ISO-8859-1&sa=N&tab=wi

Brugmansia: It reminded me of a salvia, too, but the foliage (which I didn't show in this photo) doesn't match at all.

Evert is right on the money... it's Lamium amplexicaule. Nice work, Evert!

dave

:) We have a few same looking species here... I have to take a lot photos on summer ---- I wish the snow would melt, it is so boring icy and cold here. :( I'm jealous for you people down there =)

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, I think Dave and Redrose have the same wildflowers, as she posted a photo of this plant a short time ago. It is everywhere here, and I like that because it blooms when almost nothing else does, very early. It has a very unsubstantial root system, takes little or nothing from your soil, and makes a nice groundcover in a new garden until you get something else established. That is some pretty fancy camera work, getting so close to that little plant and showing that small bloom so well. Evert, we do call it henbit around here.

Great pic Dave, I wish my camera was half as good! It makes Henbit look worthwhile growing.

Brugmansia, RHS reckons there are about 900 species of Salvia.

Memphis, TN

Our yard is full of this, our neighbor would not let her DH cut the grass last year till she could dig some up and plant in here flower bed LOL The rest of us are trying to get it out of the beds.

Oklahoma City, OK(Zone 7a)

Is this something that needs to be added to the DG database? (hint hint)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.