Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Water Gardens: fish in a half oak barrel..

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 7, Views: 372
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2002
5:24 PM

Post #25145

I, at present, have wonderful water feature in my garden room..the fish in the barrel is what I'm enquiring about...the temp in the room is around 50-80o during the day and night..what temp should the water be before I purchase some orfies??? Elaine
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 18, 2002
9:59 PM

Post #228687

How big's your barrel? Orfe are surface swimmers that like a lot of room to move around.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2002
5:53 PM

Post #229085

well, phil.I hadn't planned on getting too many of them..I do know they leap out of the water and grab bugs..that was my intention on purchasing orfies...the diamer is around 24"..just a few! Elaine
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 19, 2002
9:23 PM

Post #229169

They will run out of oxygen as they grow Elaine - if you're talking about golden orfe - they grow to be almost as long as the diameter of your barrel and they like space to move around and therefore use more oxygen than slower moving fish. In a barrel that size you shouldn't really house more than two or three small goldfish. Sorry, don't mean to be preachy, but am just worried that they, and you, will end up unhappy.

If you have a pond to move them into when they outgrow the barrel it might work.
Roselaine
North Vancouver, BC
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2002
4:06 PM

Post #230641

great, phil, I will then purchase some goldfish..my two grand-daughters are two and a half going on three and I thought this would be a delightful chance for them to see these and watch themswim about..no, you are not preachy!!!!don't even worry about that! what temp. of the water for these creatures? I don't want to have to worry about them dying in cold water! Elaine...thanks
Sis

March 22, 2002
5:25 PM

Post #230681

Hi Elaine,HTH...http://www.goldfishguy.com/
philomel
Castelnau RB Pyrenée
France
(Zone 8a)

March 22, 2002
5:44 PM

Post #230691

Thanks Sis, you've saved me a job - wasn't sure where to go for info on this on the web and you're right on the button :-)
Sis

March 22, 2002
5:53 PM

Post #230696

ROFLOL,ya wouldn't believe my folders,lol' :)

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America