"Moonlight Gardens"

Haven't seen any here so thought I'd share mine' I have moon flowers,nicotiana,allysum(glows near my paths)tierella,dusty miller,bunny ears,japanese painted ferns,peacock orchids etc. Since I'm on the prairie,I create wind breaks also to protect from the blistering constant winds here' Have you planted a "Moonlight Garden" too???

Castelnau RB Pyrenée, France(Zone 8a)

Yes. My very favourite time of day is the half light of dusk. I am often out in the garden then and after dark and grow nicotiana, night scented stocks, four o'clock flowers, evening primroses, petunias and night phlox (Zaluzianskya) among others.
Can't wait for those June evenings listening to the snorts of the hedgehogs and the busy clickings from my bat detector :-)

Bat detector??? Are you monitoring bat traffic,lol'?

That's right Sis. Am out nearly every night in the summer doing surveys of one kind or another - roost counts, tree surveys, area surveys, waterway surveys....etc etc. Some for National Bat Monitoring Scheme and some that need doing to provide information for the way to proceed with development work (bypasses, housing and so on) as bats are protected.

I hope you didn't think I was be facitious(sp)Phil' That sounds like a very interesting and worthwhile pastime or does some special service pay you for your data???

Don't be silly, who would think listening to bats was strange ROTFL
To be serious, some of the surveys are voluntary and others i get decent "expenses" for. I belong to a county group and do commercial surveys on their behalf - some payment goes to them and some to me.
In the daytime I'm doing dormouse survey work on the same basis. It's the development firms and highways agency that pay.

ROFLOL,I don't listen for them mostly hit the deck when I hear the noises they make,lol' Unfortunately thanks to "Hollyweird"the poor bats have had nothing but bad press' As you probably already know they're very beneficial to keeping the insect populations to a minimum' I like them unlike most,lol'

Yes, the media are obsessed with vampires and the link to dracula. But anyone who has met a long-eared bat in person soon forgets about such things. Then it's "Aaagh" and "Isn't it cute?" and "I never realised they had such gorgeous soft fur!".
I guess i got interested in them because i like to be out and about when they are. And i didn't know anything about them, so joined the group to learn. Hooked! LOL ;)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images